The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 shots

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Damn already!:ROTFL:
I'm going to get one when I get back from Holland.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
as for the Acronym, the one they've been using in the 4/3 forums is:
EVIL
Electronic viewfinder / interchangeable lenses

Seems good enough
It was inevitable.

Arne Hvaring

If EVIL is well established I guess we'll have to live with that, but I think Brian's suggestion, ELVIS, sounds much nicer :D

jonoslack

If EVIL is well established I guess we'll have to live with that, but I think Brian's suggestion, ELVIS, sounds much nicer :D
I quite agree - ELVIS it shall be!
Incidentally, Brian, should I pull the trigger, where is the best place to get the 4/3 adaptor (or the camera come to that).

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

the best place to get your 4/3rds adapter is direct from Japan...

Here's the seller - hope this is within the forum rules!

Mine took 4 days to arrive - even including the weekend!

Kind Regards

Brian

Robert Campbell

I was looking at the forums today, and thought I read:

G1 shots by jonoslack

and I thought, well about time too -- not like him to delay this long -- and then I read:

Incidentally, Brian, should I pull the trigger, where is the best place to get the 4/3 adaptor (or the camera come to that).
I was sooooo disappointed :(

simonclivehughes

Here's a few G1 shots with both the 14-45 and the 45-200 lenses.

Waiting for my haircut. Kit lens. Jpeg to CS4.
View attachment 9355

Fraser river 1. 14-45 lens. Jpeg to CS4, tinted with Ascough Actions (Brown Sugar) plus some burning in of the sky.
View attachment 9356

Fraser river 2. 45-200 lens. Jpeg to CS4, tinted with Ascough Actions (Delta Blues).
View attachment 9357

Remembrance. 45-200 lens. Jpeg to CS4, processed with Ascough Actions (Dream).
View attachment 9358

Turn the corner. 45-200 lens. Jpeg to CS4, processed with Nik Silver EfxPro (custom preset). I think there's a little camera shake present in this one.
View attachment 9359

At this point, I am still just exploiting the jpegs (although I'm shooting RAW as well). I'm waiting for ACR to support the G1. Silkypix just doesn't do it for me.

I'm shooting with default sharpening at the moment and I find that I need to do a fair bit of sharpening in PP. Right now, I use the Ascough Actions Big Picture sharpening action which seems to do what I expect the image to look like. Hopefully, once ACR supports the G1, we'll have a better PP route.

Handling wise, I'm very impressed with the size and weight of this camera. I can fit the body, and the two lenses as well as the Oly FL-36R flash into a very small bag.

At the moment, I'm shooting mostly on custom presets:

CUST1: A mode, Dynamic B&W, ISO 100
CUST2: A mode, Dynamic colour, ISO 100
CUST3: A mode, Dynamic B&W, iISO

This little camera has so many features, it'll take a fair while to fully explore and whittle down the subtleties to make up more appropriate and useful custom presets. I find the ELVIS to be excellent. I have no issues (at least none yet) with the VF, and the swing out LCD is one of the main reasons I bought the camera. Without doubt though, this is a camera kit I'll grab almost anytime over my D300s. The size and light weight make it a true go to camera.

Cheers,

Last edited:

jonoslack

Okay Okay Okay, I give in.
I've just pulled the trigger on the two lens kit - should be here on Tuesday.
silly me!:eek:

jonoslack

Simon
your shots are lovely
I presume that if I can't do as well you'll refund me the purchase price?

:ROTFL:

simonclivehughes

Simon
your shots are lovely
I presume that if I can't do as well you'll refund me the purchase price?

:ROTFL:
Jono, well of course, mate! Actually, come to think of it, I may have the run that one by the CFO of the household. Seeing your pictures every day makes me think I have very little worry though.

Thanks for the kudos.

In answer to a PM I got from Martin, and in the interest of other members, I'll answer it here:

Martin S said:
Is this lens available yet???

Not available yet is U.S.

Where did u purchase it, and how does it perform?? Is it very large as compared to the 14-45 mm lens?? What is performance like at 200 mm setting?? Any optical issues??

Thanks.

Martin
Martin,

I purchased both the G1 and the 45-200 from Contact Photo Arts here in Grand Forks, BC (Contact Photo Arts). They had the G1 very early on (I got mine on Nov 6th) and then I got the lens on the 14th.

From the little that I've used the lens so far (been busy and had nasty weather), it performs brilliantly. Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts remarked the following to me in an email:

I took a few photos today on a tripod at different focal lengths and apertures and after a quick look I think the lens is better at 45 and 200 and less in the middle. Stopping it down didn't change the center much but helped the edges. 5.6 at 200 seemed quite good.
Frankly, in the short amount of shooting I've done with the lens so far, I tended to be at the long end (200) so I can't comment on the mid range yet. Most of the above pictures with the lens are at the 200 setting so I think you can judge for yourself. Note that all above pictures were shot handheld.

As for optical issues, so far I can't comment. The lens comes with a very good (sturdy and snug fitting) hood so I imagine that any flare will be nicely controlled.

Size-wise, the lens is very compact. Roughly speaking, I'd say 1/4 longer than the 14-45 (6" flange to hood far end, Vs 4" for the same on the 14-45) and slightly larger in diameter. The 14-45 is 5" extended and the 45-200 is 7-3/8" extended (again, including the hoods). They feel equal as far as the zoom control and the focus control. I'm sure DPR has all the specifics for weight etc.

The 45-200 feels very balanced on the G1 and right from the start I knew I'd like shooting with it. I'm generally a man of extremes while shooting, using either the shortest, widest focal length, or the longest. For me, my new grab-and-go kit consists of the G1, the 14-45, the 45-200, the Oly FL-36R flash, my LX3 and a small beanbag and tabletop tripod. This all fits into a small LowePro Stealth Reporter D100 AW bag is is remarkable compact and light.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Arne Hvaring

Simon, excellent shots! And thank you for the info re the 45-200mm zoom, I've been wondering about the optical quality of this lens. Seems like it's in the "highly recommended" category :)

Martin S

Thank you Simon. Great shots, and useful comments regarding the 45-200 mm lens.

Hope it becomes available here soon!!

Martin

Arne Hvaring

Went out yesterday to see how the G1 copes with cold weather. We had about six degrees below freezing. It seems to do very well, after about 4 hours the (not fully charged) battery was down only one notch. Considering that either the EVF or the screen will be constantly on, this is excellent. (Actually it coped better than the photographer, what this camera needs is a heated grip LOL)
AF also worked flawlessly and surprisingly precise, the shots below are all taken with the kit lens and AF.

Last edited:

scho

Arne, Gorgeous images of the ice and frost. The kit lens performance continues to amaze me.

Regards,
Carl