The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What to do Oly 520 or G1

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay this is a a area i do not follow as closely as others but as a forum member myself and seeing the G1 and the shot at shooting some CV , Zeiss or Leica glass certainly intrigues my interest. Now granted i am a little crazy and sometimes buy things and just sell them for no reason except something else sounds pretty cool. I am sure no one on this forum does anything that crazy. Yea right. LOL

But i sit here with the OLY 520 14-54, 50 macro which i have yet to mount and the cheap 40-150 zoom and I am thinking maybe just sell the whole kit and get a G1 with kit lens and maybe a CV 15mm or 12mm and have a fun toy to play with plus it is smaller than the 520 . Okay do you think I would realize better files and maybe a better kit. Now i am a C1 user and this creates a issue and LR is gone for good on my system. So what raw processor are folks using and frankly is this just a plain stupid thought.

V

Vivek

Sell it (Oly) and buy it (G1), Guy. :)

I only dabbled with Silkypix. It is slow and not convenient but the results are OK.

PS: If you have normal sized fingers G1 buttons (especially with manual focus lenses) will be a bit troublesome.

Robert Campbell

I've only seen the G1 in the window, but it seems to be much the same size as a 520 -- I expect it's smaller, but not by much.

Apart from treating your GAS attack, what benefits do you get?

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I hesitated between the 520 kit and the G1 kit. After looking at both, I went with the G1, and I don´t regret it. It is just as fast, and manual focussing (e.g of legacy lenses) is MUCH easier. And the kit lens is quite good, too.

I do look forward to bot M and R adapters.

Guy Mancuso

I don't have a M8 so besides my MF system this would be my toy and travel rig. the idea of having some M lenses does make it interesting

Guy Mancuso

I've only seen the G1 in the window, but it seems to be much the same size as a 520 -- I expect it's smaller, but not by much.

Apart from treating your GAS attack, what benefits do you get?
That is what i wanted to know. LOL Am I gaining anything here

scho

Does anyone have both/experience of both?
I don't have a 520, but I do have both an M8 and Oly E3. I bought the G1 with the idea of using it as a backup for both the E3 and M8 (can use lenses from both). I have been so impressed by the handling and image quality (with the kit lens) of the G1 that so far the roles have been reversed and both the E3 and M8 have been relegated to backup status.

Regards,
Carl

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Guy,

I hope Brian sees this discussion. He has been using Olympus E3/E420/E520 and now G1. He should give you some real valuable input of both systems.

I have been using a Panasonic L1 with Leica R glass. The system is still too bulky but the image quality is excellent.

Kind regards,

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Ocean. Be nice if someday we had a recommended list and it was voted on sort of. Be helpful to new buyers

V

Vivek

Forgive me if this is a silly question. I am an M8 user with allot of M glass. I thought a G1 would be fun to use with M lenses. Please explain. Thanks

Yes, it would be fun. :)

Ergonomics (to me at least) of this camera could be much better, especially if it is to be used with manual focus lenses.

Guy, I still have my C-V 15mm lens, and to me it does not look all that useful on the G1. Fast lenses and the G1, it is a different story.

Edit: Might as well add this- the kit zoom is better than the C-V15mm lens at its wide end. This zoom is actually a pretty decent lens. I am partial to fast primes so, I have not used it much.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hello Guy,

I would not recommend replacing what you have with the G1... personally, I'd enjoy what you've got until Olympus show their hand on m4/3rds. There's a reasonable chance that their offering will have in-body stabilisation and a more intuitive menu system (I'm still struggling to remember where things are buried in the G1's menus).

The main advantage for me with the G1 + 4/3rds adapter (I've tossed the kit lens into a drawer) - is that I can use fast legacy prime lenses with ease now, and the shutter is nice and quiet.

The E-520 is far more capable though, in terms of remote flash control, IS and straightforward access to all 4/3rds standard lenses.

Hope that helps - the G1 + 4/3rds adapter is a great little addition to an Olympus E-System... but don't let go of those lenses!

Kind Regards

Brian

p.s. a better investment would be the ZD 9-18 for your E-520... now that would make a difference to the images you can take!

Martin S

Brian
What 4/3 lenses have u used on the G1??

How difficult is it to use?? Aperture priority?? Stop down metering?? How difficult is it to focus??

Martin

Guy Mancuso

Hello Guy,

I would not recommend replacing what you have with the G1... personally, I'd enjoy what you've got until Olympus show their hand on m4/3rds. There's a reasonable chance that their offering will have in-body stabilisation and a more intuitive menu system (I'm still struggling to remember where things are buried in the G1's menus).

The main advantage for me with the G1 + 4/3rds adapter (I've tossed the kit lens into a drawer) - is that I can use fast legacy prime lenses with ease now, and the shutter is nice and quiet.

The E-520 is far more capable though, in terms of remote flash control, IS and straightforward access to all 4/3rds standard lenses.

Hope that helps - the G1 + 4/3rds adapter is a great little addition to an Olympus E-System... but don't let go of those lenses!

Kind Regards

Brian

p.s. a better investment would be the ZD 9-18 for your E-520... now that would make a difference to the images you can take!
Thanks Brian that helped a lot . I know how involved you are in the 4/3rds systems so this does help me. I still want to sell the 14-54 and get the 12-60 but that 9mm-18 sounds even more attractive. I am a wide shooter for sure.

Terry

Okay this is a a area i do not follow as closely as others but as a forum member myself and seeing the G1 and the shot at shooting some CV , Zeiss or Leica glass certainly intrigues my interest. Now granted i am a little crazy and sometimes buy things and just sell them for no reason except something else sounds pretty cool. I am sure no one on this forum does anything that crazy. Yea right. LOL

But i sit here with the OLY 520 14-54, 50 macro which i have yet to mount and the cheap 40-150 zoom and I am thinking maybe just sell the whole kit and get a G1 with kit lens and maybe a CV 15mm or 12mm and have a fun toy to play with plus it is smaller than the 520 . Okay do you think I would realize better files and maybe a better kit. Now i am a C1 user and this creates a issue and LR is gone for good on my system. So what raw processor are folks using and frankly is this just a plain stupid thought.
Guy,
I'm going to bring it to AZ this week (Thanksgiving). You can play then.