The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Micro 4/3 users here using Capture One 7?

Amin

There's a thread in the medium format forum about this program, and I thought it would be useful to discuss in the Micro 4/3 context as well.

There are a couple things I like about C1 v7 for Micro 4/3. The first is that it does seem to squeeze some extra resolution out of the files while at the same time giving them a cleaner, less noisy look than I can manage without abolishing detail in Lightroom. The second is that unlike Lightroom, you can disable automatic distortion correction in C1 - a major plus IMO.

The major downside is that I'm so used to a Lightroom workflow and using Lightroom to manage my photo library. I used C1 Pro for years when I shot Canon DSLR, but I've been using Lightroom exclusively since version 4 and have gotten used to it with color profiles and plugins that fit how I like to work.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The CA removal in C1 is not as effective as in LR4 (checked with 14mm of the 43 14-54mm zoom).

D

d2mini

I tried it. I try every version of C1 that comes out.
The good is that the raw processor quality is awesome. Better than LR. The bad is that it's still very cumbersome to use compared to Lightroom. So in the end I always stick with LR. I wish the two could be combined.

S

Salguod

Can I suggest trying out the new Ninja Photo?
PictureCode home page: Photo Ninja

I'm trying it out on the 2 week trial and have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. I'm using the Olympus EM-5 and the results are pretty stunning - I may be replacing ACR/DXo Pro with this one. It pays to read the online tutorials first to get to grips with how to use it.

PS: I have no affiliation with them I am just in the process of deciding which RAW converter to use myself and came across this one in my travels

httivals

I find the increased apparent detail from processing in DXO to be fantastic. The "lens softness" tool alone, which apparently does deconvolution sharpening, is worth the price of admission. It's now in version 8 and it's pretty quick. I use it along with Lightroom.

ReeRay

Capture One for all formats for me. DSLR, Micro 4/3rds and film. I just can't fault the program and IMHO it's streets ahead of other software for RAW image rendition. Colour control, keystone correction and LCC adjustment are the key factors for me. I haven't upgraded to V7 yet but with it's integration with Media Pro I see a complete package.

I migrated from Capture one to Bibble and then to Lightroom. Each time I got better images.

However, I am now with Qimage Ultimate and they are better still.

QU is an odd program in GUI terms. I have been using it as a printing RIP for ten years. Only recently have I used it as a RAW converter.

Be prepared for a bit of a steep learning curve. Then be prepared to be amazed at how automatic algorithms produce images that need next to no manual tweaking.

Yes, it needs a fairly hefty PC to get a decent workflow - but so does LR now and even then there are users struggling with incompatability with their particular setups.

Here is one recent shoot using QU:-
The Hurlingham Club Embroidery Experts

And a rather more quirky one with a £15 manual lens.
Autumn Leaves and Berries

Tony

dhsimmonds

I have to say that C1Pro version 7 is a really excellent RAW program. The difference between v6 and v7 is very noticeable. It is definitely my preferred converter and it does a great job with my OMD files.

Peter Klein

I received the light version of Capture One v.5 with my Leica M8, and am now on the last revision of v.6 Pro. I use it both with my M8 and my Panny G1. I've been quite happy with it. If I need to to anything it can't do, I will get things as good as I can in C-One, then export a 16 bit Tiff to Picture Window Pro.

Recently a friend and I did a photo walk with a Leica M8 and an OM-D EM-5. He worked up some of the RAW pictures in Lightroom, I then did the same in C-One v.6. The difference was that C-One often got a bit more detail out of the files, but Lightroom's noise reduction was significantly better, and Lightroom could get better results boosting the darkest tones at high ISO.

That's with V.6. The buzz I hear from serious shooters, including some pros here on getdpi, is that C-One v.7 has *much* better noise reduction. So my guess is that they will be pretty close now. Which is better for you? It may boil down to the user interface, the "look and feel" of the program and its output, and the kind of photos you take. Not to mention the "Adobe tax" and the library functions in LR.