The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OMD-v-Leica MM

jonoslack

The fact is that there are only a handful of people who own/use only a Leica. Most owners use other mirrorless cams. Some even make photos. :D
I wonder Vivek - I think that LUF is full of people who only own/use a Leica. But they don't come here!

When I went to the launch of the MM, I really felt in the minority in having any interest in other cameras - lots of people (professionals included) only shoot Leica. . . . . I think all of these people made photos as well, as comparative testing is more problematic if you only have one system!

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, I thought there were as many MMs as the OMDs on that day in that venue! ;)

Obviously, I do not have any figures but I think I am correct in what I said.

jonoslack

Hi Jono, I thought there were as many MMs as the OMDs on that day in that venue! ;)
Possibly - but there weren't very many MM's. if Steve Huff counts as 6 people then you're probably right!
Obviously, I do not have any figures but I think I am correct in what I said.
I know lots of people who only shoot Leica - honestly - and some of them are serious and good.
I'm even considering becoming one of them (will that make me serious and good though . . .I doubt it!).

jonoslack

FWIW, I sold my M9 for the OM-D. IQ has become too close to continue justifying the cost of the M9 since i bought it back in 2009. And I can still use my leica glass!

Just got a cheap adapter today and took this with my 90 elmarit on the OM-D in raw mode and processed with default LR settings.
http://bluelemonphoto.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Portraits/i-2GCsRsd/0/O/20121120-_B200455.jpg
Not bad for that "tiny" sensor, eh? :)
Nothing wrong with the OMD, that's for sure.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I know lots of people who only shoot Leica - honestly - and some of them are serious and good.
I'm even considering becoming one of them (will that make me serious and good though . . .I doubt it!).
Jono,

I returned to the flock with the MM. I am interested if the M will address all of my other inadequacies ... if so it will be a relief...I have tilted at windmills for such a long time.

Others have figured out the sensor thing...they still lag when it comes to glass....IMNSHO.

Bob

Paratom

While I also would like to reduce and simplify my gear I see clear advantages of my S2 when I want max. IQ, and clear advantages when I go on a bike tour in mixed weather with the kids to bring the OMD, and great advantages when I travel to bring the Leica M.
And I even enjoy to take a film camera once or twice a year, shoot a roll of film and dream about the past.
OK-there is still some more stuff I have here which I should get rid of.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OK-there is still some more stuff I have here which I should get rid of.
The hardest thing in my estimation is knowing what to divest and what to keep...I seem to regret some choices. An infinite universe of possibilities can be a challenge.

Bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Someone once gave me a wise piece of advice - which I have never followed - which is that owning more than one camera system will eventually drive you nuts.

I own three currently but I am seriously thinking of selling all my kit and having just one.

LouisB
Louis, If you sell all your kit, you have not one but none :eek:

If I decide to go for one system only, it will probably be m4/3. Appart from the lack of wide aperture telephoto lenses, it's the easiest system to live with and it seems to be the best compromise. But there are dilemmas:

- It won't replace medium format, Fuji GX680 in my case, black and white film.. It's a totally different world, another artform.
- It can't replace my Nikon F6. Nothing can replace a Nikon F6. It's the best AF SLR ever, analogue or digital. Luckily, it works fine as a walkaround camera with just one or a couple of lenses.
- It will struggle to replace a Canon FF DSLR with those f/1.2 lenses. I don't have any Canon gear, but I do wonder if it would be interesting to buy a 6D and one or both of those lenses. Other legacy glass would work fine as well with that camera, so I really should have one :p Still, I wouldn't sell the F6, leaving me with yet another system :wtf:
- The original OM system is of course irreplaceable. Luckily, it's rather small, and since I only own... :shocked: ... a dozen or so lenses for that system, it doesn't take up too many selves in the dry cabinet.
- The Contax 35mm cameras can go of course, except the 85mm, which works so great on m4/3. It's a fine portrait lens on the RX as well, so why not keep it? It can't have much value on the second hand market anyway, can it?

Apart from these insignificant exceptions, and maybe a Rolleiflex TLR somewhere down the road, I really do think that I could live with m4/3 only :ROTFL:

dhsimmonds

I agree with Jono, most of the Leica Fellowship members use only one brand of camera.........but they do tend to own and use quite a few of that Leica brand!

Some of the them are either professional or retired professional photographers too.

There are a minority of the membership who are like me.....just gear sluts!:ROTFL:

dhsimmonds

Dave, What entails a Leica fellowship?
I would not normally have posted this information in deference to the Forum owners and implied advertising, but as it is in answer to quite a few similar enquiries sent by private posting, there is obviously a more public curiosity if not interest in the Leica Fellowship, so here goes:

I have a section devoted to the Fellowship on my web site David Simmonds Photography: Welcome and if you google it you will also find the Fellowship's own rather dated web site.

The Leica Fellowship was formed in 1976 by a group of enthusiasts who attended a two/three day Leica course at either Wetzlar, Solms (Germany), Luton or Milton Keynes(England). The courses were the requirement for membership. Unfortunately the courses no longer exist in the same 2/3 day duration. Therefore entry requirements have had to be changed.

Membership is available to persons:
• Who have attended a Leica course of suitable duration, the course having been approved by the Council.
• User or users of Leica cameras who are proposed and seconded by fully paid up members and are approved by the Council.

This month I have enrolled a chap who attended a course at Wetzlar many moons ago and another just this week did not attend any course but is an avid Leica enthusiast and we managed to get him proposed and seconded as a member!

We meet twice a year Spring and Autumn alternating North South East and West of the UK and spouses are positively encouraged! We have an informal competition in the Spring and a more serious (nothing is ever that serious!) print and digital projection competitions in the Autumn when various trophy's are up for grabs! Last Year the Americans grabbed many of them!

The week-ends start on a friday usually at about 18.00 hrs for registration followed by welcome cocktails then dinner followed by a talk, by a leading light in the Leica world or sometimes by a member. Saturday is usually a free day for members to enjoy the locality then Dinner and either a competition or another talk. The organiser tries to get a key speaker (not necessarily Leica biased) such as Charlie Waite or similar at least once during each week-end. Sunday is the coach outings day, usually to some local photographic opportunity or attraction. Dinner in the evening and then home again on Monday. An attractive all inclusive price usually ensures good attendance of 70-90 members and spouses.

The talks and banter go on in the bars around the hotel, which are usually of large Best Western standard. So reasonable but not over expensive. It is really all about the camaraderie and the spouses are as keen as the blokes to meet up with their counterparts for a good chat and gossip. It is the best photographic club of anywhere in my opinion!! :D

Whilst the emphasis is on matters Leica, it is by no means all Leica and many other brands are often seen and discussed informally and whilst out and about. We have members from New Zealand, Holland (Erwin Puts and his charming wife), a number from the USA and Canada, all who participate at meetings but not always on every occasion.

Now you know!! So let me know if you are interested, preferably by a PP please.

biglouis

Wow! Did not think my throw away line in my last post would lead to similar responses.

I'm seriously thinking of divesting myself of my Hasselblad kit. I love that kit. I love the SWC. What a terrific camera. Seriously. Problem is that I have to give in to the problem that despite the fact I am only in my late 50s my back is in such a poor state I cannot lug heavy equipment any longer. It is not only the weight but also the bulk.

One nail in the coffin has been working with the Sigma DP2M. I should actually sell all my kit and just buy the DP1M as a second camera. But I know I won't. If you have not checked out the DP2M see the results posted in the Other thread. If the main camera makers do not come out with a Foveon competitor they will be missing a trick (there is a rumour that Sony has filed a foveon-lookalike patent at Sony Rumours).

The sensible thing would be to sell the Hasselblad kit and probably invest in the new GH-3 as I have the 7-14, 20/1.7, 50/1.4 45/2.8 and 100-300 lenses. My m43rds kit has done me very well in the last couple of years even leading to some commercial opportunities.

However, I am also thinking along the lines of selling the Hasselblad and m43rds kit and going with the new Nikon D600, a Zeiss 21/2.8 (to replace my SWC) possibly a Zeiss 25/2 (because you can), and the old AF-D Nikkors for the 35/2, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 focal lengths. One reason for going back to Nikon is the compatibility with legacy lenses - especially the old manual ones which can often be bought for a song and often out perform some of the newer ones. And the possibility of converting other glass, like Leica R glass.

Bear in mind I don't do people or fast moving things. I do a lot of stuff on tripod.

I was thinking about the Canon 5dMkIII but I tried both that and the Nikon D600 and picking up the D600 was like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes. I rejected the D800 because of size/weight/ridiculous file sizes (sorry!).

This could all be academic and I may do nothing but that's my thinking to date.

LouisB

V

Vivek

Dave, Thanks for the time to answer my query. :) So, it is a club with membership, right?

dhsimmonds

Yes Vivek, you have got it in one! ;)

It is however a unique photographic club as it is international in membership with the emphasis on "fellowship" rather than "leica". Some members may not agree with me there however! We do have excellent relationships with Leica management and staff.