Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: M4/3 to Leica

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M4/3 to Leica

Quote Originally Posted by marknorton View Post
    I bought a G1 yesterday, ex display, for around 390 including the kit lens. A lot of camera for the money and I'm excited about the possibility of using it with M lenses, in particular the ability of the camera to sense actual focus instead of relying on both the camera and the lens being correctly adjusted as on an M camera.

Wide angle is going to be a challenge but the 21mm Elmarit, WATE and CV 12/15 are interesting, as is the Zeiss 18mm/4.
    About time what took so long. LOL

Glad to see you here. Have fun
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly off topic, but when are the 4/3 to M4/3 lens adapters available. Olympus has two pretty awesome zooms (7-14 and 11-22) that cover wide angles for the 4/3 series, and a nifty little 25/2.8 pancake lens that will go well with this format. (and they AF.)

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Slightly off topic, but when are the 4/3 to M4/3 lens adapters available. Olympus has two pretty awesome zooms (7-14 and 11-22) that cover wide angles for the 4/3 series, and a nifty little 25/2.8 pancake lens that will go well with this format. (and they AF.)

scott
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310103271294

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Mark:

the camera is a cutie. wait until you get a focusable 12mm CV on it! my LTM-G1 adapters will start to ship next week, then in another week or so the M-G1. I am just now milling the female M bayonet portion for the M-G1 prototype
    Sounds good John. Please post a shot taken with the 12mm on the G1 when you get a chance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

scott
    Hi Scott
    Vivek has it with the link - I bought mine from this guy, and he was fast and efficient.

be careful though - there are only a few lenses where the autofocus currently works on the G1, and neither of those are it. Mind you, I've been shooting all day with the 50mm macro and manual focusing, it really is very easy and quick . . . just not as quick as autofocus!
    The pancake lens does autofocus, as does the 9-18 and a few others.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

scott
    Scott, The Panasonic adapter for 4/3 to m4/3 is available now. Several of us here are already using it. Should be available from the usual sources by now (eg. B&H, Amazon, etc.). I've been trying it with the two 4/3 lenses I have (12-60 and 50-200 SWD) and although the image quality is excellent and manual focusing works very well, these particular lenses are just too large for the G1 IMO.

Regards,
    Carl

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

was able to get the 75 cron to focus at inf at f2.0 on the G1, so the basic M-G1 adapter is working. now I have to work out the retention springs and release button, the pesky parts.
    will try and post some pics tomorrow

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    was able to get the 75 cron to focus at inf at f2.0 on the G1, so the basic M-G1 adapter is working. now I have to work out the retention springs and release button, the pesky parts.
    will try and post some pics tomorrow
    Hi John
    I'm excited! - that lens is the one that seems likely to be the most fun on the G1 - and with the OUFRO to make it into a macro lens . . . .

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i agree, the 75 cron is pretty tempting, a 150mm eq and using the sweet spot.

it occurs to me that I could make a series of extenders for close focusing without too much trouble. the easiest ones would be for the LTM mount, the female bayonets are a PIA, but i might get tricky...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

The Leica thread extension tubes are dime a dozen. Perhaps the difficult to find ones are the thinnest ones (6mm extension).

I would appreciate it if you would respond to my email query. Thanks!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek: i'll get back to you...my e-mail was in hell since friday, just got it online again yesterday afternoon

marknorton

Thanks for the welcome, guys, and great job Jim on those adapters. I'll be having one of each... It's going to be a revelation using M lenses in a through-the-lens configuration without all the complexity of the Visoflex.

Jono, I'm really pleased how quiet the camera is, how does it compare to the upgraded M8?

jinrongshanghai

hello there everyone... I'm quite new... Just got my G1 black in hand yesterday... thinking to get the M-M4/3 adapter as well (adapting from a beat-up OUFRO)...

have a question for the lens registry of M4/3, it only says it's about 20mm, but it's not a precise number, isn't it? Ex. 4/3 lens registry has it as 38.67mm)... I searched, but seems no one has definite answer for that?

Vivek, how you make it with your adapter? (you assume it as 20mm ? if so, does it pre- infinity focus ? meaning it already hit infinity while the lens scale is not at infinity yet?) can you share your thoughts? it's OK for 'pre-infinity' with only the side-effect of the lens scale mis-matched with actual distance.

greetings from SHA :-)
    Last edited by jinrongshanghai; 14th December 2008 at 19:56. Reason: add more info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Scott
    Vivek has it with the link - I bought mine from this guy, and he was fast and efficient. Be careful though - there are only a few lenses where the autofocus currently works on the G1, and neither of those are it. Mind you, I've been shooting all day with the 50mm macro and manual focusing, it really is very easy and quick . . . just not as quick as autofocus!
    The pancake lens does autofocus, as does the 9-18 and a few others.
    The pancake 25 sounds like a natural to use with the G1 or the OlyM43-in-the-bush. When I put it on my E3 it just looks and feels awkward. But the 50/2 is such a natural fit to the E3 for certain kinds of shooting, that I don't think I'll go to the trouble of trying it on the simpler platform. And the concept of putting a 50-200 onto an M4/3 body is hilarious. I can see why using the M-adapter to get the CV12 and CV15 would be attractive.

But it looks as if this is leading to a camera with typical widest apertures in the 2.8 to 4 range and a sensor that does good landscape up to ISO 800, then can be used in b/w as a Frank/Klein box at 800 - 3200 (somewhat the way the GX-200 and GR-D are used). So what's the gain?

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The pancake 25 sounds like a natural to use with the G1 or the OlyM43-in-the-bush. When I put it on my E3 it just looks and feels awkward. But the 50/2 is such a natural fit to the E3 for certain kinds of shooting, that I don't think I'll go to the trouble of trying it on the simpler platform.
    Well, the focusing on the G1 in 'live view' is really accurate and quick, of course, you can do the same with the E3, but it's much slower, noisier and more cumbersome.

And the concept of putting a 50-200 onto an M4/3 body is hilarious. I can see why using the M-adapter to get the CV12 and CV15 would be attractive.
    Yes - the 50-200 does look a little silly, and the manual focusing isn't great - so both that and the 12-60 are better off on the E3

But it looks as if this is leading to a camera with typical widest apertures in the 2.8 to 4 range and a sensor that does good landscape up to ISO 800,
    Well, I think there will be lots of new lenses - it sounds like Olympus are heading towards the primes - panasonic have already announced 3 new lenses

These are the "14-140mm F4.0-5.6 O.I.S. HD," which will prove to be a very convenient wide angle zoom lens, "7-14mm F4.0" a super wide-angle zoom lens, and the "20mm F1.7" a bright single focus pancake lens.

Panasonic have also said that Leica will be involved to some extent.

so, wider apertures, and of course, with the m lenses you can go very fast - worth mentioning that the manual focusing is splendid, and if you're shooting down to around f5.6 you don't need to use stop down metering as the viewfinder will gain for you automatically.

then can be used in b/w as a Frank/Klein box at 800 - 3200 (somewhat the way the GX-200 and GR-D are used). So what's the gain?

scott
    I think it's noise characteristics are a little better than the E3, so comparisons with the tiny sensors in the GX-200 and GR-d are pretty irrelevant (of course, the G1 has a much bigger sensor, and much lower pixel density, but you know that).

The point really, is that the camera is quite a 'new thing', using it one begins to understand the real possibilities with it, notably in that using alien lenses has very little impact on functionality (except for the loss of autofocus). For instance, I find the concept of using an OUFRO and an adaptor to make the 75mm summicron into a tiny 150mm f2 macro lens pretty exciting.

I cordially dislike EVF viewfinders, but with this one, it's such quality and the autofocus and shutter lag are so small . .. . My only criticism is that it could be quieter.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the welcome, guys, and great job Jim on those adapters. I'll be having one of each... It's going to be a revelation using M lenses in a through-the-lens configuration without all the complexity of the Visoflex.
    I think so too - trying to convince Scott looks tricky though!

Jono, I'm really pleased how quiet the camera is, how does it compare to the upgraded M8?
    I was actually slightly disappointed, and I hope that the Olympus showing is quieter. I'd say it's about the same volume as the upgraded M8, but shorter, and less metallic.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Responding to Jono -- the Panasonic 20/1.7 sometime in 2009 does sound like the bright spot on the horizon.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Responding to Jono -- the Panasonic 20/1.7 sometime in 2009 does sound like the bright spot on the horizon.

scott
    Nice choice of words

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Novoflex Adaptor in the UK:

novoflex micro 4/3 adaptor

I was sent there by Novoflex, they're expecting delivery next week.

FWIW

Scott - I see you are not to be convinced!
    Maybe a nice little Olympus version with some primes would convince you, but you'll have to wait until PMA. (at least).
    I'm afraid that lens roadmaps need to be take with more than a small pinch of salt!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

They really need to get the 20/1.7 out quickly. But even then, that's just a relatively fast 40mm equivalent. I'd *really* like to have a wide angle prime. The kit lens is good at equiv. 28mm/3.5, but I'd really like something in the 20mm range, even f/4 would be great. I'm generally not a fan of zooms...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There seems to be only one option for the 10mm range- the Tegea 9.8mm f/1.8 lens.

It is big, ugly and weighs a ton (Very expensive as well. A new sample in arri mount is more than the current Noctilux).

But it does the job very well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have seen. They had to really rub it in by calling it a 9.8mm, they could have just rounded up to 10mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Every tenth of a mm in that focal range counts.

There are 5.9mm, 5.8 and 5.6mm lenses as well.

These might or might not cover the whole of the M4/3rds.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to try those out, Vivek, and let you know if they cover the sensor. But I haven't heard anything back from our c-mount supplier.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott - I see you are not to be convinced!
    Maybe a nice little Olympus version with some primes would convince you, but you'll have to wait until PMA. (at least).
    I'm afraid that lens roadmaps need to be take with more than a small pinch of salt!
    I'm interested, but we have 3 Ricohs. 2 E-x's, 3 M8's and too many lenses right now, each of them anxious to go out and shoot, and what I have been shooting lately is most often f/1.4 at ISO 640 (800). So waiting to see the Olympus thingy is not a hard decision.

My feeling about the E-3 is that supporting live view cost them a stop in dynamic range, and for some reason which I hesitate to even think about they put a stronger AA filter than I've come to like into the mix. I hope their pendulum swings back to the other side, but since M4/3 is supposed to bring the great unwashed out of their caves, waving dollar bills, this may not happen.

But in the meantime, I can use all sorts of stuff outdoors, but only the Leicas indoors. And it's winter, restaurant season.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    They really need to get the 20/1.7 out quickly. But even then, that's just a relatively fast 40mm equivalent. I'd *really* like to have a wide angle prime. The kit lens is good at equiv. 28mm/3.5, but I'd really like something in the 20mm range, even f/4 would be great. I'm generally not a fan of zooms...
    Hi there
    Well, there will be the 7-14, and also the existing Olympus 9-18, which is small, works very well on the G1 including autofocs, and is excellent quality (although it's f4)

As I understand it, having designed a WA prime, all you have to do is to move a group back and forth, and you have a zoom, without compromising the design at either length. So there isn't likely to be a huge advantage in primes for that focal length range.

I can thoroughly recommend the Olympus 9-18 as a stopgap. It has very little distortion, sharp corners and focuses pretty close.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm interested, but we have 3 Ricohs. 2 E-x's, 3 M8's and too many lenses right now, each of them anxious to go out and shoot, and what I have been shooting lately is most often f/1.4 at ISO 640 (800). So waiting to see the Olympus thingy is not a hard decision.

My feeling about the E-3 is that supporting live view cost them a stop in dynamic range, and for some reason which I hesitate to even think about they put a stronger AA filter than I've come to like into the mix. I hope their pendulum swings back to the other side, but since M4/3 is supposed to bring the great unwashed out of their caves, waving dollar bills, this may not happen.

But in the meantime, I can use all sorts of stuff outdoors, but only the Leicas indoors. And it's winter, restaurant season.

scott
    I quite understand . . . my only small camera (other than the M8) was the GX100, which gets used occasionally.
    My instinct with the G1 is that, like the L10, the AA filter is considerably lighter than the E3 - the dynamic range is at least as good, and the noise about the same.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there
    Well, there will be the 7-14, and also the existing Olympus 9-18, which is small, works very well on the G1 including autofocs, and is excellent quality (although it's f4)
    The 7-14 will be an f/4 also, correct?

Here is the Oly 9-18:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

And how about the Leica 25/1.4. What a beast!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The 7-14 will be an f/4 also, correct?

Here is the Oly 9-18:

You had it already?
    you don't want it?

it IS around f4 at 20mm.

the 7-14 will also be an f4 I think.

this 9-18 is good on the G1 though (at least, I think so).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You had it already?
    you don't want it?

it IS around f4 at 20mm.

the 7-14 will also be an f4 I think.

this 9-18 is good on the G1 though (at least, I think so).
    No, I don't have it, those are pictures from http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the lens roadmap for the G1 (lifted from DpReview's preview). And Jono, can you post a picture of your G1 with the Olympus 25/2.8 mounted, to compare with that hulking great 25/1.4 Panaleica?

To see what I mean by shots that I think would be tough to get with the G1 and its present lenses, see the "fun with M8" series that I just uploaded to the M8 forum next door.

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 15th December 2008 at 13:40.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus 25

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To see what I mean by shots that I think would be tough to get with the G1 and its present lenses, see the "fun with M8" series that I just uploaded to the M8 forum next door.

scott
    Hi Scott
    Well, I see Monza has pre-empted me on this one, but I'll post it anyway having taken the trouble:

ISO 160, 35mm, f4,

But, of course, it's only fair to give the return shot. Isn't it a beauty, it's got new vulcanite and the same old worn corners (I love it)

ISO 640 f4.5

But the point is you could have used your CV 50 f1.5 - the focusing would have been at least as easy as on the M8, and the colour as good, the noise being better . . . . . .

Of course, it wouldn't have had that M8 magic 'thingy', but it's got much more of a magic 'thingy' than lots of other cameras.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty quick turnaround. It even looks like there wasn't time for a sip or two between the two pictures. One small correction. I would have needed a 35/1.4 to get the same working angle with a 4/3 imager. (I have a 35/2, so that might have worked.) Focusing on these guys' faces, even at 3-10 m, is a constant struggle. Can you really focus with the EVF as fast as with a rangefinder? I used to be pretty fast with my Nikon F's 105/2.5 using the split image screen, but never with a ground glass, which is how the EVF looks.

regards,

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a pretty quick turnaround. It even looks like there wasn't time for a sip or two between the two pictures. One small correction. I would have needed a 35/1.4 to get the same working angle with a 4/3 imager. (I have a 35/2, so that might have worked.) Focusing on these guys' faces, even at 3-10 m, is a constant struggle. Can you really focus with the EVF as fast as with a rangefinder? I used to be pretty fast with my Nikon F's 105/2.5 using the split image screen, but never with a ground glass, which is how the EVF looks.

regards,

scott
    Refer to the earlier posts on this subject (EVF focusing). More accurate than any RF focusing. The speed depends on practice. The EVF focusing should not be compared to GG focusing. It is even better than the split screen.

BTW, Monza and Jono- why are you folks posting shots of the 4/3rds adapter here? Just curious.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Refer to the earlier posts on this subject (EVF focusing). More accurate than any RF focusing. The speed depends on practice. The EVF focusing should not be compared to GG focusing. It is even better than the split screen.

BTW, Monza and Jono- why are you folks posting shots of the 4/3rds adapter here? Just curious.
    HI Scott
    Looking at the glass now it looks decidedly empty - time for a trip back to the house!

I agree with Vivek about the focusing - it's easy on the EVF, which is pretty bright - it's fairly comparable with the Sony A900 in size, but brighter in low light (and also with a slight lag).

Vivek - we are posting pictures because Scott asked for a picture of the G1 with the Olympus 28mm pancake . . . and you need the adaptor to make it work.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, Breezed past that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, Breezed past that.
    Don't ignore Scott . . . it can be very dangerous (I think he is a purple belt at Judo).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He is in denial, as far as I can make out.

BTW, Jono, your ZM 25 will be a good match for the G1 (through the M adapter, of course).

I have a 25mm lens (not M or LT mount) that I have been trying out on the G1. It is nice. It could be faster (I posted a sample in the "fun with the 4/3rds" thread since I did not want to mix up with the M mount lenses).
    Last edited by Vivek; 15th December 2008 at 14:46.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He is in denial, as far as I can make out.
    Don't worry - he's a sensible guy, and anyway, you've only to look at what he already owns to realise that resistance is useless!

BTW, Jono, your ZM 25 will be a good match for the G1 (through the M adapter, of course).
    It'll be fun to try . . . but I'm more interested to see how the 50mm f1.5 sonnar does on it . .. and the 75 'cron.
    as you can see from the shot of the M8 above, the 25mm pancake (which I already have) does a fairly good job.[/QUOTE]

I have a 25mm lens (not M or LT mount) that I have been trying out on the G1. It is nice. It could be faster (I posted a sample in the "fun with the 4/3rds" thread since I did not want to mix up with the M mount lenses).[/QUOTE]

I'll have a look - I'm still bugged by the lack of RAW support using the kit lenses Grrrrr.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An old tradition

Requires that a shot decorated with a fine red wine be echoed with some other beverage so here goes:

cheers -- enjoyed the conversation and will certainly try the micro-4/3 platform sometime in the future.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sherry . . . . and a windows laptop?
    Scott - you need to reorganise your image
    I'm off to bed.
    Then to Southampton tomorrow (too far)

have fun.

p.s. the wine was a cheap (but satisfying) Rioja.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You missed the bunch of filters in the back-ground (UV-IR cut filters, I suppose)!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice not having to mess with external viewfinders anymore.

Received my Fotodiox Nikon F-->4/3 adapter today. I'm *really* going to like my equiv. 170/1.8.

Will post some pics later.

willpix

My apologies if this question has already come up somewhere in the previous posts but:

There's lots of excitement over the prospect of using Leica thread lenses and Leica M-mount lenses on the Panny G-1 via the appropriate adapters. But what happens if I attempt to use my LTM CV 15mm f4.5, combined with the silver ring Leica bayonet adapter that I've always used to mount this lens on my M-4? What if I attempt to mount that combination on a G-1 body (which I'm expecting via UPS any day now) via the G-1>Leica M adapter that Stephen Gandy will be marketing soon? Is this at all feasible? If not, why not? Thanks, all.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that combo of adapters will work fine with your CV 15mm.

willpix

In other words, monza, as far as you understand, this combo is workable. Which means that as long as I have the silver ring adapters (I forget exactly what Leica-philes call these overpriced little washers), there's no functional reason for me to spend money on a separate G-1>LTM adapter, right? I just have to spring for Gandy's gizmo and I can expect full function of any LTM lens in my collection? That's indeed sweet news!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That's correct. A Leica thread mount lens with a thread mount adapter is functionally equivalent to an M-mount lens.

willpix

One more thing I'd like to confirm with one of you knowledgeable G-1 shooters. I believe I read elsewhere that any lens with a rear element protruding beyond the G-1>Leica M adapter is unusable. That means no marriage between the Panny G-1 and my cherished 21mm f/3.4 Super Angulon, right?