The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

V

Vivek

Finally, the crude M4/3 to Leica adapter is ready (sort of).

Here is a self portrait using the swivel TFT screen to focus (on the lens' nameplate). Lens was wide open.

The C-V 15/4.5 (even wide open) is nothing but astounding on the G1 ( I stand corrected from my earlier post in another thread).

Here is a shot from my Canon 50/0.95 @ 0.95 (ISO1000, 1/320s handheld, focused on the lens' rim, a single bare bulb was the light source).

It is late now. The adapter still needs to be cleaned and a camera lock hole to be added.

[To anyone contemplating making their own adapter- avoid this particular one. It is very very difficult. Just buy one when it is available. It really is worth buying- i am going to get a commercial one]

Can't even go out as it has been haling and freezing winds. Perhaps tomorrow, I will take some shots and add them here.

Oh, the monster next to the C-V15 is my Tegea 9.8mm f/1.8 lens. Awesome lens.

Martin S

How difficult is it to focus on these stopped down lenses??

Do u focus wide open, and then stop down (my recollection of that techniques)??

Using aperture priority, 1) how difficult is it to keep the subject visible in the EVF as u stop down, 2) is the readout of the shutter speed the index that u use to stop reducing the aperture ring on the lens, 3) how easy is it to use this technique on moving objects??

My questions are probably very basic, but I have not used stopped down metering in a very long time. (Kilfitt 300 mm macro on a Topcon R).

Thanks.

Martin

V

Vivek

How difficult is it to focus on these stopped down lenses??
Easy. Very easy. By far the most accurate focusing that I have experienced (this includes, RF, small format SLRs, MF RF, MF SLRs and LF). I understand this is a very bold statement. But, that is what I find.

Do u focus wide open, and then stop down (my recollection of that techniques)??
Yes. Both these shots were focused (and taken) at the widest aperture setting. It is nearly impossible to focus accurately with the Canon 50/0.95 on an SLR (only close focus distances, of course), for example, as this lens wide open, is a very low contrast lens. With the G1, you can choose a spot in the frame, magnify it to ~200%, focus and shoot. No need to focus/reframe as in a range finder or even in an SLR.

When you do stop down after focusing, the meter takes a second or so to adjust. So, it isn't fast by any means. (this answers, in part, the questions you have below)

Using aperture priority, 1) how difficult is it to keep the subject visible in the EVF as u stop down, 2) is the readout of the shutter speed the index that u use to stop reducing the aperture ring on the lens, 3) how easy is it to use this technique on moving objects??
With EVF, it isn't difficult to keep the subject visible after stopping down. The screen brightness is adjusted automatically. It looks grainy and starts to flicker (imagine very old TVs "running" and one has to adjust the vertical and horizontal knobs to stabilize the picture) but is still visible.

My questions are probably very basic, but I have not used stopped down metering in a very long time. (Kilfitt 300 mm macro on a Topcon R).
Your questions (focus and metering) are the most important factors ( at least to me they are) as far as a camera is concerned. If you had the misfortune (;))of using a Topcon R, you would find the G1 and its EVIL system a joy to use.:D

jonoslack

When you do stop down after focusing, the meter takes a second or so to adjust. So, it isn't fast by any means. (this answers, in part, the questions you have below)
HI Vivek
Brian was rather implying that in decent light you didn't need to do the two stages - i.e. you could focus with the lens already stopped down as the EVF adjusted for the light.

Is this correct?

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, I would answer, yes, may be, depends on the user, the lens and the light. :rolleyes::)

I just checked the 15mm CV lens at f/16 at 20 cm to 1 meter (focused on a bright lamp as there is virtaul darkness here now because of heavy skies and snow) and could not focus. Everything seems to be in focus!

With a 50-55mm lens there is difference. With an ancient 135mm Hektor there is discernable difference and so on..

jonoslack

Hi Jono, I would answer, yes, may be, depends on the user, the lens and the light. :rolleyes::)

I just checked the 15mm CV lens at f/16 at 20 cm to 1 meter (focused on a bright lamp as there is virtaul darkness here now because of heavy skies and snow) and could not focus. Everything seems to be in focus!

With a 50-55mm lens there is difference. With an ancient 135mm Hektor there is discernable difference and so on..
Hmm - with a 15mm CV at f16 on a 4:3 sensor everything IS in focus!

I was thinking really of using something like a 50mm zeiss sonnar at f2.8 in decent light (which is an attractive proposition for portrait work.)

Anyway, I've bought it now, so if I don't like it I'll just have to lump it :D

V

Vivek

The crop factor and the angle of coverage of a lens are not that big of a factor compared to the magnifications and the lens used, IME.

Here is an old shot through the Tegea 9.8 f/1.8 at f/22 at its closest focusing distance (~5cm, shooting against the Sun as well), Epson R-D1s.

This one was taken with a CV 15/4.5 at f/11 (extension ring, focus was at ~4cm), Epson R-D1s.

This one, again with the CV 15/4.5 at f/16, Bessa-L, Kodak print film 200 ASA, ~4.5cm.

Martin S

Vivek

Thanks for quick response. This camera platform can be very interesting due to the ability to use older, existing lenses (Leica M, Hexanon, Zeiss M, ?Contax Y, not G). Your answers are most reassuring.

I have already asked Steve Gandy to order one of the M adapters for me.

I may have to make an investment in one of the new Zeiss 18mm lenses???

Thanks again.

Martin

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
:thumbs:Vivek, Your pioneering work is very much appreciated. I just can't wait for the m adapter to arrive.

N

nei1

Why didnt anyone get so excited about the E420,I dont see what all the fuss is about.Is the digital range any better than on the olympus cameras?Am not trying to be negative here just interested at what is ,at the moment,a buzz in the corner of the room.

Brian Mosley

Hi Neil,

I think it may be because there's at last a popular ELVIS cam which will support Leica M lenses... that together with the articulating LCD in such a small camera is getting people excited.

The E-420 was a 2nd (or 3rd if you're in the UK) generation smallest DSLR... so the excitement was a bit more muted.

Kind Regards

Brian

N

nei1

Thanks Brian for the explanation.I think if the leica m lenses had a choice they wouldnt be seen dead on such a camera,auto everything ,swivelling lcd ,whtever next.Think Im going for a gin and tonic and a bit of a lie-down.

Brian Mosley

LOL, I'm keen to see the first shots with Leica lenses on the G1... hopefully Jono will be amongst the first :)

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

Thanks Brian for the explanation.I think if the leica m lenses had a choice they wouldnt be seen dead on such a camera,auto everything ,swivelling lcd ,whtever next.Think Im going for a gin and tonic and a bit of a lie-down.
What? :confused:

The articulating TFT monitor and the EVIL system themselves are worth the cash. There is no UV or IR response like the M8/8.2 or the Epson R-D1/s. So filters (any kind) are not needed.

BTW, earlier you were asking something about how digital conflicts with pre-visualization of a B&W capture (I did suggest a Wratten filter used by the likes of A.Adams). The live view focusing in G1 would allow you to "see" in B&W.

How about that? :)

Hey Cindy, Thanks.:)

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Yeah, it's all gone downhill since we abandoned the wet collodion process.

:ROTFL:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Why didnt anyone get so excited about the E420,I dont see what all the fuss is about.Is the digital range any better than on the olympus cameras?Am not trying to be negative here just interested at what is ,at the moment,a buzz in the corner of the room.
Neil,
I am excited because I will be able to put my M Leica Summilux 50 f/1.4 and have the equivalent of a 100mm f/1.4 in a small package. My Summarex 85 f/1.5 will be an equivalent of 170mm f/1.5. My little Voigtlander 12mm will be a 24! The ELVIS has made this possible.:thumbs:

jonoslack

Neil,
I am excited because I will be able to put my M Leica Summilux 50 f/1.4 and have the equivalent of a 100mm f/1.4 in a small package. My Summarex 85 f/1.5 will be an equivalent of 170mm f/1.5. My little Voigtlander 12mm will be a 24! The ELVIS has made this possible.:thumbs:
Like you Cindy, I'm shaking with excitement (and unfortunately this little camera doesn't have image stabilisation). Still, watch your summarex carefully; one day, you'll look in your camera cupboard, and there will be a little note "jono has stolen your summarex"

I missed a nearly mint one on ebay the other day for €550 . . . . I was watching it, and they sent me a reminder at 14.26 . . . which would have been good if the auction hadn't ended at 14.25!

jonoslack

:ROTFL:
It can be manual everything too . . . if that's what you would like.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Like you Cindy, I'm shaking with excitement (and unfortunately this little camera doesn't have image stabilisation). Still, watch your summarex carefully; one day, you'll look in your camera cupboard, and there will be a little note "jono has stolen your summarex"

I missed a nearly mint one on ebay the other day for €550 . . . . I was watching it, and they sent me a reminder at 14.26 . . . which would have been good if the auction hadn't ended at 14.25!

Just remember i do take leftovers. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: