The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

Glad to hear that it works for you. Are you running online fora as well (that comment on this site wasn't directed against anyone, it was just a general observation and true too! :))?

Glad you can add some versatility to your new system.:)

I will show some useful (at least they are to me) Leitz accessories that are useful with G1 (via an M adapter) a bit later if anyone is interested.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Glad to hear that it works for you. Are you running online fora as well (that comment on this site wasn't directed against anyone, it was just a general observation and true too! :))?

Glad you can add some versatility to your new system.:)

I will show some useful (at least they are to me) Leitz accessories that are useful with G1 (via an M adapter) a bit later if anyone is interested.
Hi Vivek
Well, I don't really think of myself as a programmer - developer maybe? Parasite on the edge of the software industry? My geek credentials are actually pretty low (and getting lower by the day).

As for online fora . . .no, but we are setting one up for the business; it will be fabulously boring!

I will be fascinated by your Leitz accessories!

monza

Vivek, I'll say me three. :)

Can't wait to put my Nokton 40/1.4 on this thing. I actually held it up to the G1 without a mount and took a few shots. It was kind of a dreamy look, heh. In the meantime I'm going to get the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter, and a Nikon F-->4/3 adapter, so I can use all my Nikkors, especially my 55 Micro. The manual focus/ articulated live view is perfect for macro shots, nothing beats it, and 110mm equivalent gives some nice working room.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ok, I need a life... I just couldn't wait till I get ahold of the M adapter. This is my first M photo. It is totally unworthy except for the fact that it was made with my old Leica Summarit f/1.5 (a couple of stops down). I held it in front of the G1 because I am not talented like my hero, Vivek.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

I sure hope Santa brings me that adapter...please, Stephen Gandy.

Terry

Cindy,
Our letters to santa were both addressed to the same place. Mr Gandy. It is getting exciting that's for sure!

Y.B.Hudson III

yehh...eye couLdn't resist...M summiLux 35mmmmm @ f/1.4 / Panasonic G1...Lens cap-body cap...bLack tap adapt'r
this is going t' be fun...

V

Vivek

Cindy, I bet you your Summarex is no lemon! :) Prices have shot through the roof on this lens already!! The contrast will get a big boost when you use it with the proper adapter.

Jan, Welcome. Yeah, why not? I still have my body cap intact. It is not a bad construction but I would not trust it with my Canon 50/0.95.

I still have to get a few details of the old accessories I have before I put them here. Some (may be very few) die hard Leica nuts would know if something is wrong or not but I do not want to mislead anyone. Soon.

Today started out cold and sunny. I had an Elmar 90/4 on the G1.

Later, in the evening, it was time to check out the newly discovered Schneider Xenon 50/2 that screws directly into a Leitz OUAGO (I will post a picture later). All these shots were taken with it (f/2), ISO400~640, low shutter speeds (~1/15s to 1/20s).

The spectators..

(this man was confused to see a tiny gadget with a LCD screen like the one on his Sonycam!)

.. and the Performer (it was sweet).

I did find a B+W push on hood for the Xenon 50/2 but did not have it on for these shots. It is quite flare resistant. I suspect (because of its screw thread dimensions and the performance, it is one of the original Schneiders made for an LTM lens. I have no clue where/when I got it!:eek:)

Last edited:

Diane B

As a non-rangefinder person--I'd appreciate someone pointing me to a good site (or even a good book) to understand these lens names--Sumicron, Nokton, etc. I've been googling for each one but still haven't figured out if there's a quality (ala L lenses/Canon) or what. I do understand that the Nokton is Voigtlander, Sumicron Leica (Leitz??? LOL)--but why are names attached rather than just FL/maximum aperture (as 50 f/1.4)? Until I understand this I won't be able to understand exactly what is possible.

Diane

V

Vivek

As a non-rangefinder person--I'd appreciate someone pointing me to a good site (or even a good book) to understand these lens names--Sumicron, Nokton, etc. I've been googling for each one but still haven't figured out if there's a quality (ala L lenses/Canon) or what. I do understand that the Nokton is Voigtlander, Sumicron Leica (Leitz??? LOL)--but why are names attached rather than just FL/maximum aperture (as 50 f/1.4)? Until I understand this I won't be able to understand exactly what is possible.

Diane
Buy some books (better than google)! :)

I will throw in these that are closeby:

ISBN 1 874707 05 7

ISBN 0-906447-88-7

ISBN 1 874707 34 0

I was enquiring about a Zuiko lens (from the early 1970s) the other day and the sales kid tells me that they only have lenses for the 4/3rds. :ROTFL:

kevinparis

diane

yes the leica fans do love their insider talk :-- I know i live with one :)

In very broad terms cameras from Leitz are called Leicas

the lenses.. of which there are many some of which are idolized by the Leica lovers are commonly known by their pet names summilux, summarit etc... actually at least one - Hektor - is a pet name

anyway regardless of focal length in the Leica world

Noctilux means f1 or less
Summilux is f1.4
Summicron is f2
Summarit is f2.5
elmar/elmarit is f2.8
http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Leica_M_lenses

there are variations.. i will leave you to look up Hektor

cheers
Kevin

Diane B

diane

yes the leica fans do love their insider talk :-- I know i live with one :)

In very broad terms cameras from Leitz are called Leicas

the lenses.. of which there are many some of which are idolized by the Leica lovers are commonly known by their pet names summilux, summarit etc... actually at least one - Hektor - is a pet name

SNIP

Kevin
Kevin, you don't know how much that helped LOL. I would not have figured that out I don't think. I'll try a book too--and laughed at vivek's comment about the salesperson saying that there are lenses now only for the 4/3rds LOL.

Diane

jonoslack

Kevin, you don't know how much that helped LOL. I would not have figured that out I don't think. I'll try a book too--and laughed at vivek's comment about the salesperson saying that there are lenses now only for the 4/3rds LOL.

Diane
HI Diane
This is a dealer in the UK
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/
if you look under
35mm
then
Zeiss
Leica
Voigtlander

and look at M mount lenses, then it should give you an idea as to what's what.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Diane,
Stephen Gandy has a lot of information on his cameraquest.com web site. It is a good place to start.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Monza, Gorgeous photo! Please tell me more about the angeniex-1. I looked through your flickr and see many beautiful G1 shots with unusual lenses.