The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

scott kirkpatrick

Here's the lens roadmap for the G1 (lifted from DpReview's preview). And Jono, can you post a picture of your G1 with the Olympus 25/2.8 mounted, to compare with that hulking great 25/1.4 Panaleica?

To see what I mean by shots that I think would be tough to get with the G1 and its present lenses, see the "fun with M8" series that I just uploaded to the M8 forum next door.

scott

Last edited:

jonoslack

To see what I mean by shots that I think would be tough to get with the G1 and its present lenses, see the "fun with M8" series that I just uploaded to the M8 forum next door.

scott
Hi Scott
Well, I see Monza has pre-empted me on this one, but I'll post it anyway having taken the trouble:

ISO 160, 35mm, f4,

But, of course, it's only fair to give the return shot. Isn't it a beauty, it's got new vulcanite and the same old worn corners (I love it)

ISO 640 f4.5

But the point is you could have used your CV 50 f1.5 - the focusing would have been at least as easy as on the M8, and the colour as good, the noise being better . . . . . .

Of course, it wouldn't have had that M8 magic 'thingy', but it's got much more of a magic 'thingy' than lots of other cameras.

scott kirkpatrick

That's a pretty quick turnaround. It even looks like there wasn't time for a sip or two between the two pictures. One small correction. I would have needed a 35/1.4 to get the same working angle with a 4/3 imager. (I have a 35/2, so that might have worked.) Focusing on these guys' faces, even at 3-10 m, is a constant struggle. Can you really focus with the EVF as fast as with a rangefinder? I used to be pretty fast with my Nikon F's 105/2.5 using the split image screen, but never with a ground glass, which is how the EVF looks.

regards,

scott

V

Vivek

That's a pretty quick turnaround. It even looks like there wasn't time for a sip or two between the two pictures. One small correction. I would have needed a 35/1.4 to get the same working angle with a 4/3 imager. (I have a 35/2, so that might have worked.) Focusing on these guys' faces, even at 3-10 m, is a constant struggle. Can you really focus with the EVF as fast as with a rangefinder? I used to be pretty fast with my Nikon F's 105/2.5 using the split image screen, but never with a ground glass, which is how the EVF looks.

regards,

scott
Refer to the earlier posts on this subject (EVF focusing). More accurate than any RF focusing. The speed depends on practice. The EVF focusing should not be compared to GG focusing. It is even better than the split screen.

BTW, Monza and Jono- why are you folks posting shots of the 4/3rds adapter here? Just curious.:)

jonoslack

Refer to the earlier posts on this subject (EVF focusing). More accurate than any RF focusing. The speed depends on practice. The EVF focusing should not be compared to GG focusing. It is even better than the split screen.

BTW, Monza and Jono- why are you folks posting shots of the 4/3rds adapter here? Just curious.:)
HI Scott
Looking at the glass now it looks decidedly empty - time for a trip back to the house!

I agree with Vivek about the focusing - it's easy on the EVF, which is pretty bright - it's fairly comparable with the Sony A900 in size, but brighter in low light (and also with a slight lag).

Vivek - we are posting pictures because Scott asked for a picture of the G1 with the Olympus 28mm pancake . . . and you need the adaptor to make it work.

V

Vivek

He is in denial, as far as I can make out. :D

BTW, Jono, your ZM 25 will be a good match for the G1 (through the M adapter, of course).

I have a 25mm lens (not M or LT mount) that I have been trying out on the G1. It is nice. It could be faster (I posted a sample in the "fun with the 4/3rds" thread since I did not want to mix up with the M mount lenses).

Last edited:

jonoslack

He is in denial, as far as I can make out. :D
Don't worry - he's a sensible guy, and anyway, you've only to look at what he already owns to realise that resistance is useless!

BTW, Jono, your ZM 25 will be a good match for the G1 (through the M adapter, of course).
It'll be fun to try . . . but I'm more interested to see how the 50mm f1.5 sonnar does on it . .. and the 75 'cron.
as you can see from the shot of the M8 above, the 25mm pancake (which I already have) does a fairly good job.[/QUOTE]

I have a 25mm lens (not M or LT mount) that I have been trying out on the G1. It is nice. It could be faster (I posted a sample in the "fun with the 4/3rds" thread since I did not want to mix up with the M mount lenses).[/QUOTE]

I'll have a look - I'm still bugged by the lack of RAW support using the kit lenses Grrrrr.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: An old tradition

Requires that a shot decorated with a fine red wine be echoed with some other beverage so here goes:

cheers -- enjoyed the conversation and will certainly try the micro-4/3 platform sometime in the future.

scott

jonoslack

Sherry . . . . and a windows laptop?
Scott - you need to reorganise your image :ROTFL::ROTFL:
I'm off to bed.
Then to Southampton tomorrow (too far)

have fun.

p.s. the wine was a cheap (but satisfying) Rioja.

V

Vivek

You missed the bunch of filters in the back-ground (UV-IR cut filters, I suppose)! :)

monza

It's nice not having to mess with external viewfinders anymore. :)

Received my Fotodiox Nikon F-->4/3 adapter today. I'm *really* going to like my equiv. 170/1.8. :)

Will post some pics later.

W

willpix

My apologies if this question has already come up somewhere in the previous posts but:

There's lots of excitement over the prospect of using Leica thread lenses and Leica M-mount lenses on the Panny G-1 via the appropriate adapters. But what happens if I attempt to use my LTM CV 15mm f4.5, combined with the silver ring Leica bayonet adapter that I've always used to mount this lens on my M-4? What if I attempt to mount that combination on a G-1 body (which I'm expecting via UPS any day now) via the G-1>Leica M adapter that Stephen Gandy will be marketing soon? Is this at all feasible? If not, why not? Thanks, all.

W

willpix

In other words, monza, as far as you understand, this combo is workable. Which means that as long as I have the silver ring adapters (I forget exactly what Leica-philes call these overpriced little washers), there's no functional reason for me to spend money on a separate G-1>LTM adapter, right? I just have to spring for Gandy's gizmo and I can expect full function of any LTM lens in my collection? That's indeed sweet news!

monza

That's correct. A Leica thread mount lens with a thread mount adapter is functionally equivalent to an M-mount lens.

W

willpix

One more thing I'd like to confirm with one of you knowledgeable G-1 shooters. I believe I read elsewhere that any lens with a rear element protruding beyond the G-1>Leica M adapter is unusable. That means no marriage between the Panny G-1 and my cherished 21mm f/3.4 Super Angulon, right?