The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Archer

Lili

Thanks Brian, I am become infatuated muchly with my little Oly.
Were I to carry big purses again, it may go with as much as my Ricoh or Samsung do.
:D

Lili

I prefer the b/w version of the Archer
Bertie, thank you! I like them both, tho I find a really good B&W immensely satisfying.
Curiously, I "saw" the vertical version in B&W and the Horizontal in Color.
Wonder what a NeuroPschycologist would say 'bout that?
:ROTFL:

jonoslack

Bertie, thank you! I like them both, tho I find a really good B&W immensely satisfying.
Curiously, I "saw" the vertical version in B&W and the Horizontal in Color.
Wonder what a NeuroPschycologist would say 'bout that?
:ROTFL:
Would you like me to explain?
:)

Lili

very nice shots, lili. i wonder if we all aren't getting impatient with the limitations of the small sensor cameras, no matter how convenient they are?

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
Wayne, thank you.
I thought about this question as I was doing Post on the B&W images. Of the four I posted here and on flickr, three were shot at 28mm efl.
I might hqve been able to duplicate any of these with my GRD or my S6000 and the Gate D shot with my Fuji as well.
Would they have matched IQ?
Perhaps.
The sky was dark and stormy so the contrast range was limited.
At these small sizes the GRD esp could have come close.
And certainly the tight composition could have been easier as both cameras LCDs and the S6000fd's EVF show a true 100% versus the 95% of the Oly's OVF.
But close is not the same.
The smaller sensors do draw differently.
And like any palette, one should play to its strengths.
What I love best about the GRD's look is the bite, the grain.
Its best show with bold scenes.
A sketch as it were.
The 4/3 DSLR, draws much more... incisively, with a delicate, razor-edge slice.
More like a detailed drawingto the Ricoh's sketch.
Perhaps it is not so a weariness, as refreshment.
Finding new things to see
in a different way

smokysun

yes, lili, i agree with the need to see things differently, just to stay awake!

what i'm noticing is the transparent nature of dslr shots. they often look like slide film with various depths of color, etc.

small sensor cameras by nature seem to have a more opaque look. as you (and sean reid) have observed more akin to drawing.

more important than the camera is the subject (the idea) to be expressed. then choosing the means to make it come alive.

but frankly some cameras a lot more fun to use than others (the resurgence of the digilux 2 and its rising prices!).

and a lot depends on the mood i'm in. sometimes it's a delight to pick up a compact after the bigger cameras.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Lili

Will, when first I ever used a DSLR (K100d) that is one thing I noted, in some images the color depth was far more...more real (transparent?) that I had been used to seeing with my Fuji F31fd or GRD up to that point.
The Oly has a lot of this going on as well though in a subtly different way.
The one camera that truly impresses me with this quality is the Foevon senosred Sigma DP1! The sample work I have seen simply seems to glow.

DavidE

Mighty fine photos (as always), Lili.

I prefer the B&W version, though I really like the colors of the stone and tiles. Looks you're hanging out more on the 14mm end than the 42mm end.

Lili

Mighty fine photos (as always), Lili.

I prefer the B&W version, though I really like the colors of the stone and tiles. Looks you're hanging out more on the 14mm end than the 42mm end.
Thanks David! Yes, influence from my GRD, I tend to see more in 28mm POV ;)