The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quick question on Zuiko 75/1.8 Autofocus sound

Jonas

Hi all,

I got myself a brand new Zuiko 75/1.8.

I'm happy with it as it performs as expected (excellent image quality, sturdy build). But...

Before buying it I did my home-work and learned the AF is silent. Now this copy I got today isn't really silent. It is, for the most of the time but there is a also a medium to medium high pitch whirring sound involved in the process. I hear it, clearly, whenever turning the camera on or off and when the lens hunts for focus or when it goes from long distance to short distance.

This is with an E-M5. Is your copy the same? I'm not that bothered as I don't shoot video but would like to be an owner of a normal copy.

regards,

Jonas

pikme

I have read other comments mentioning the sound, so think your lens is probably ok unless the sound is really loud or grinding.

I had never heard my copy making any sound, but I just tried it with my head moved in front of the camera, ear alongside the lens. I do hear a high pitched whirring sound. I can't hear it from normal shooting position, unsure whether the sound is too slight or I am just getting hard of hearing. :confused:

Jonas

Thank you Roberto.

A high pitch whirring sound" - that's it. In my case it is clearly audible in all situations, shooting with the camera lifted, from the side when my wife handles the camera or when standing in front of it. I'll visit the shop again and compare it to their demo copy.

regards,

Jonas

Hi Jonas
Could this be the image stabilization in the camera you are hearing? Try turning the OMD's image stabilization off and see if it's still audible.

Paul

Jonas

Hi Paul, and Roberto,

I finally found some time to visit the shop where I bought the lens. The woman behind the desk knew one of her colleagues also is a micro 4/3 user and asked him about the problem. It turned out he was well aware about it as he uses the same setup and as he has seen a copy of the lens getting dismantled we were soon involved in a discussion about lens element rails and stepping motors and more.

Anyway. The sound I described is perfectly normal. The demo camera and lens in the shop made the exact same noise.

It seem to me as we are good at discussing images and what we see, less good at discussing sounds. I guess there still are folks out there in the know-how who never heard the E-M5 IBIS in action... ;)

Cheers,

Jonas

PS
A note for John Milich;
The clerk (?) really liked your E-M5 grip (I have the full length +L part version) and will mail you. Cool.

cjlacz

Glad you got it cleared up. Mine made a little sound, although it didn't seem as loud as you described. Last week it started making a loud grinding sound and took it in to the Oly service center near me. They ended up replacing it with a whole new one, so I'm glad I bought new this time around.

Jonas

Charles, they probably all make the same sound. To my ears, three different lenses now, all sound the same. I know, from experience, that we (forum posters in general) are having problems trying to describe sounds and sound levels. I mentioned the sound made by the E-M5 IBIS as an example.

I'm happy to hear you got your faulty lens replaced. Did they try to repair it or was it replaced promptly?