The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe Camera Raw 5.2 support for G1

So, how big are those RAW files? (My camera just arrived half an hour ago)
About 45 MB (lossless compression) w/o embedding original file; about 55 MB with embedding. Big beasts...

But they´re distortion corrected, if anybody´s wondering.

16 bit tif´s from Silkypix are around 69 MB.

Let´s hope this is just a temporary solution; it is a big step in the right direction, however. Goodbye, Silkypix!

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Camera Raw 5.2 update allows support for the G1 (LX3, D-Lux4, G10, 5DII, etc.) to CS4 users. http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4219

Please note that the .dng converter is going to make the file 3x bigger (for the time being) for the Panasonic/Leica offerings.
Thank you Cindy for that hint .
I have just updated my PSCS4 with the RAW 5.2 version .
I don't mind a file size of 70MB as disk storage is currently very cheap .

Jurgen

jonoslack

Well, I've downloaded the new version of DNG Converter
converted the files to linear DNG files - Aperture will have nothing to do with them.:mad:
Damn Already!

Looks like one will have to wait until Apple get themselves together.
:(

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I was able to use DNG converter on G1 files that I shot with the 50 macro lens. I read them into Aperture and it was happy with them. There obviously was no lens compensation data added to those files.

jonoslack

I was able to use DNG converter on G1 files that I shot with the 50 macro lens. I read them into Aperture and it was happy with them. There obviously was no lens compensation data added to those files.
HI Cindy
Exactly how did you convert the files?
I couldn't read them at all (Aperture said 'unsupported image format')

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jono, Try it without converting to linear (for now). If we are losing a little data until they get full support for the G1, it is still better than Silkypix, IMHO.

scho

HI Cindy
Exactly how did you convert the files?
I couldn't read them at all (Aperture said 'unsupported image format')
Jono, I think Cindy's files worked because they had no lens compensation data tagged on in camera. When the kit lens(es) is used the the camera will add the lens corrections to the file and this forces a linear DNG file to be created in the current version of the Adobe converter. These file are also larger (40+mb) than the DNG files created from RAW files without the lens data (10+mb). When you get your adapter try it again with one of your Oly lenses and it should work.

Regards,
Carl

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yes, Carl is probably right. I am going to use the kit lens today and see if I can convert them. I have been so smitten with the 50 macro, that I have been avoiding the kit lens.

V

Vivek

Cindy, Show us some samples. I would love to see some 50/2 shots. I am sure it would be fabulous.

jonoslack

Carl, Cindy, Thank you.

My adaptor should arrive tomorrow I hope (it was despatched from Japan on Monday).

I can't wait to get the old 50 macro out . . . incidentally, I'm assuming that it doesn't auto-focus, is that right?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jono,
I just tried DNG converter on a shot with the kit lens. It loads into Aperture, but when you click on it, you get the message as you describe. I believe that Carl was correct. We will have to wait to use Aperture when we use that lens.
The 35 and 50 macros are manual focus.... but it is so easy to manual focus with the G1!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, Show us some samples. I would love to see some 50/2 shots. I am sure it would be fabulous.
Here are a couple hand-held in the wind. I will do better when the weather co-operates.
g1 and 50 macro (stopped down a stop or two).

Raining in the desert! Why didn't Guy tell me?:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

monza

Two questions (after first searching thru other posts):

What is the quickest workflow for raw G1 files using CS3?

And regarding the 50 macro, which lens is this exactly?