The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH3 EVF Magnification et'al

Tesselator

I was in another thread where viewfinder magnification was brought up. People said the OM-1 (film camera) was one of the biggest and brightest in the history of SLRs. I do indeed remember it being very nice. This graphic was presented from this site: http://snapsort.com/learn/viewfinder-size :

After a little investigation this DPR graphic was added:

I discovered that the OM-1's OVF was rated at 0.92x for comparison and understanding of the numerical significance in practice. I found that the GH2's VF-mag was 0.71x and then I immediately proceeded to look up the GH3.

Huh... The GH3's VF-mag is 1.34x (according to DPR). Really? So is the GH3's EVF totally awesome, huge, and immersive? Or do you GH3 shooters notice any real difference?

The GH3's VF-mag is 1.34x (according to DPR). Really? So is the GH3's EVF totally awesome, huge, and immersive? Or do you GH3 shooters notice any real difference?
1.34x of 100% of m43 frame by each dimension (1.34 * 1.34 * 1 * 1)... not FF frame, unfortunately.

Tesselator

Thanks, yeah, I found out shortly after posting this that the magnification values are relative to sensor size - or film format as the case may be. Someone told me: "You can't compare those magnification numbers directly acrossed different sensor sizes. The GH2 EVF is technically 1.42x, but it is .71x in 35mm equivalency."

Which of course means that the GH3's magnification (view) is smaller at 1.34 - which in turn begs the question: Why on Earth would they use a smaller VF if they're trying to peddle the GH3 as a semi-pro model, wouldn't they want it bigger if anything?

That seems kinda lame to me. <shrug>

pellicle

Hi

Which of course means that the GH3's magnification (view) is smaller at 1.34 - which in turn begs the question: Why on Earth would they use a smaller VF if they're trying to peddle the GH3 as a semi-pro model, wouldn't they want it bigger if anything?
my theory is like this: say any crap you like, as long as people buy it. There is so much twaddle out there on the net it will be lost anyway.

sell sell sell

Tesselator

You'd make a perfect asian electronics company. :D

Notice the distinction between an "electronics company" and a "camera company". ;)