The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 VS Oly 520 sort of

helenhill

wow ,the background Tile & Metal of Sconce is sooo much sharper w.the g1
however the oly colors seem crisper/brighter in thr earlier pixs

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
May have been Guy here the ones we just checked are much closer. What i am finding interesting here is they are very close in both color , contrast and saturation. Nice feat for micro 4/3rd's. Lens testing would obviously take more time and tripods to see how close they are or not but this kit lens is no slouch from the G1. I will play around later with some other files but have to say this is pretty darn impressive for this size and cost of the G1.

Guy Mancuso

wow ,the background Tile & Metal of Sconce is sooo much sharper w.the g1
however the oly colors seem crisper/brighter in thr earlier pixs
That might have been me Helen with regards to focus . I will keep checking to make sure though. The Oly has a little tougher time with AF focusing the G1 seems just to pop right in and actually gives you the green boxes on where it focused , pretty cool actually.

Terry

I then set the camera to AF tracking and handed it to Guy and started "running" around. I think he was pretty shocked at the AF tracking capability of the camera and how the green box just stayed on me no matter how mcuh I moved around. I know other cameras can track but the implementation with the live view is pretty cool IMHO.

Guy Mancuso

One obvious thing right off the bat is the G1 is more sensitive you have to knock the exposure down about 2/3 of a stop to match the Oly which in turn gives you a nicer ISO noise levels so not all bad on that part but maybe in normal light just use a 1/3 under exposure on the comp dial or more. Something to play with for sure . These shots i moved a little and the Oly was at 6.3 and G1 at 7.1 so ignore bokeh but the G1 is a better red here and the Oly is going a little to the orange side. Oly than G1

Guy Mancuso

I then set the camera to AF tracking and handed it to Guy and started "running" around. I think he was pretty shocked at the AF tracking capability of the camera and how the green box just stayed on me no matter how mcuh I moved around. I know other cameras can track but the implementation with the live view is pretty cool IMHO.
I almost laughed my head off. Never ever seen a camera do that , of course never seen Terry run around like a deer either. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

This one is not a test between the cameras but a DR torture test. No recovery no nothing. Okay I am impressed how it held me and those deep shadows

jonoslack

Great Stuff you two.
Just what I haven't had time to get around to doing.

It certainly looks impressive.

Now Guy - let's have those pictures of Terry running around like a deer?;)

Guy Mancuso

Jono I do value my life. LOL

I have some more other images to process but this is a neat little camera

V

Vivek

Where can I find Sunlight? Or any light???

It is snowing again...wet snow..

Joan

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks SO much for this comparison, Guy and Terry. I have been hanging on to my little Oly kit lenses, trying to decide on E-420/520 vs. going for the G1 ... seems like the G1's kit lens is on par with the 14-54, which is pretty amazing!

Now it's just where to find the money to go for it, lol. Might have to wait until the G1 "HD" version comes out, or sell my G10. Oy.

jonoslack

Where can I find Sunlight? Or any light???

It is snowing again...wet snow..
Horrible isn't it.
Here it's dark gray, drizzling . . . what's worse our darling finance minister has decided to change the VAT rate - so I have 25 customers to update before the morning.
. . . . . . . . . and I have a hangover. I think the only answer is to light up the sauna for a warmup!

Guy Mancuso

Joan i certainly am getting teased about getting the G1 as our lovely forum members know my serious camera addictions. LOL

But if your sitting on the Oly right now the G1 does buy you some obvious advantages in operation but the files are very close too. Obviously smaller and lighter? did not weigh them. Also the AF , Finder view, Manual focus magnification, Af viewing points, more control and a few other things the G1 has over the Oly would make a good buy just on those improvements and sure I am missing a couple here. Also with adapters you can mount almost anything to it. Than it certainly looks like a smart buy. I wonder though what the micro 4/3rds will be next month or 2 months out from say Oly or someone else. So do you wait? Welli said this to Jack on the phone yesterday for 800 dollars and what it can do for travel and such and if it got stolen dropped or whatever all you lose is 800 dollars worst case it is not a bad thought. I know no one wants to lose 800 dollars but the throw away factor is interesting. Cheap for what you get and it is fun to shoot. For me not sure as a Pro. Okay let's be honest i can show up at a gig with the 520 and still look like a Pro but show up with a G1 what do you think folks would think. This does not relate to the hobbyist and i know looks aren't everything but Pro's do have to look Professional with there gear. Not saying the G1 is not but the small size is not normal looking. But that is my issue not yours as a hobbyist

Guy Mancuso

Both at F8 this is very close . Oly than G1 but I do have to adjust exposure the G1 is a brighter file every time

Guy Mancuso

F8 again . If I see any real difference here the G1 records the highlights just a touch hotter but easily controlled with highlight recovery. One thing I should point out we are using ACR here now maybe the best or the worst raw processing software for these files. I would normally process in C1 for the Oly but I can't see the G1 so i went for a common software program. So at least we are comparing Apples to Apples and not oranges and of course this exercise is just to give you a good idea. If I was really going head to head here I would have shot on tripods and done other things to make sure at least comparing the same kind of Apple but heck do we really do that sort of thing normally when we shoot , not really so I hope it at least gives you some clues.

Guy Mancuso

Helen did bring up something about the Oly color and that maybe true it maybe a little better but I suspect since this is very early on sunrise which the color temp is around 4400 instead of 5300 for real daylight that it maybe reacting slightly different with regards to AWB. But I do tend to think the Oly may have slightly more punch to it good or bad it can be adjusted either way. But the G1 seems to have a touch better DR in it on the shadow side. maybe some coin flipping here and seriously I could go either way on these camera's in those regards but as far as features the G1 has it and the fact you can mount a leica 50mm Pre lux 1.4 for a 100mm 1.4 lens really would excite me a lot. I guess with the adapters you don't lose speed?