The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 VS Oly 520 sort of

V

Vivek

I guess with the adapters you don't lose speed?
No, Guy. As long as the magnification does not change, no speed is lost.

I am yet to explore the use of my 98mm f/1 lens on the G1.:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh and a big Thank You to Terry for bringing it by to let me play with it. We had a nice dinner with my wife last night. Drive safe to San Diego

Terry

Well that's it folks. Bottom line i liked it a lot. Even liked the blue color.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Well folks....that is better than when we were shooting and he kept saying....."Oooooh it is so cute"....."Wow this is really darling".... at that point I felt like it was the pink rhinestone version :LOL::LOL::cussing::LOL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well folks....that is better than when we were shooting and he kept saying....."Oooooh it is so cute"....."Wow this is really darling".... at that point I felt like it was the pink rhinestone version :LOL::LOL::cussing::LOL:
It's still cute, so there. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
So any fixed lens will be the same as the original speed. Wow the possibilities

This is the reason that we are all so excited about the G1. There are so many interesting legacy lenses out there that will be so much fun to use on the G1. Vivek has kept me drooling.:ROTFL:

jonoslack

Hi Guy
Interesting observations with respect to pro and status. I used to find that shooting with the leicas could give the same problem, but the solution was really simple. Just Stick a D3/Mamiya/whatever on a tripod, where it can be seen, then you can shoot with whatever the hell you like.

I think the proposition of the 100mm f1.4 lux is really exciting . . . . and from Vivek and Brian's experience it's clear that you don't need to do the normal stop down, the camera will focus just fine down to f5.6 (and more), so you can just mount the lens, set the aperture then focus and fire away (a long chalk from using adaptors on a dSLR).

I was taking some pictures at the table this afternoon, with the camera on the table in front of me and the LCD out - street photography would be the same, with that fast focusing and the excellent manual focus.

What I really don't understand is why Leica passed on this one. They grabbed the rather tiring V-Lux 1 from panasonic, then, when something comes along which will utilise all their legacy lenses . . . . they don't join in.

Panasonic have said that it could have been smaller - i would have thought that this could so easily have formed the basis for a CL for today.

jonoslack

This is the reason that we are all so excited about the G1. There are so many interesting legacy lenses out there that will be so much fun to use on the G1. Vivek has kept me drooling.:ROTFL:
It's really exciting isn't it - how about some of those fast telephoto lenses - but it's the 75 'cron which I really want to use with it.

scho

Guy, Thanks for the nicely done Oly 520 vs G1 comparison shots. Surely you must have some gigs where a bright red or blue G1 would be appropriate for the occasion. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Carl

V

Vivek

Let me say this again- this is a sophisticated digital back. The adapter business, Leica lenses are not that exciting.;)

BTW, what we have here (on the Leica adapter sample pics) are very exclusive. I have not seen any pictures through the G1 anywhere (not that I would know either, may the Konica Hexanon lenses?).

jonoslack

Let me say this again- this is a sophisticated digital back. The adapter business, Leica lenses are not that exciting.;)
. . . . not quite sure I understand you here Vivek. . . don't they excite you (on a G1)
BTW, what we have here (on the Leica adapter sample pics) are very exclusive. I have not seen any pictures through the G1 anywhere (not that I would know either, may the Konica Hexanon lenses?).
We owe the exclusivity just to you! You've done a grand job, whetted our collective apetites and sold quite a few G1's off the back of it (I hope that Panasonic are paying you :) ).

But I still don't understand why Leica decide not to join in this game.

V

Vivek

Jono, How about a camera with all the movements using the G1 as a digital back?

Would that not excite you more? :D

Actually, Terry started with this M4/3 stuff. I think it is truly EVIL.
It has cost me more cash and time. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

About Panasonic- I could not care less if they exist or not. I am excited for Olympus (true, but they aren't paying me either). This is an Olympus creation. I will expand on why I say this, later.

jonoslack

Jono, How about a camera with all the movements using the G1 as a digital back?

Would that not excite you more? :D
Yes - of course - I hadn't thought in that direction
Actually, Terry started with this M4/3 stuff. I think it is truly EVIL.
It has cost me more cash and time. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
It's all Terry's fault - Guy - you MUST show us the deer pictures!

About Panasonic- I could not care less if they exist or not. I am excited for Olympus (true, but they aren't paying me either). This is an Olympus creation. I will expand on why I say this, later.
I'm all ears (or is that eyes).

I'm still confused about Leica though . . . I can just see it, something the size of a CL, with a big LCD, an optical 'rangefinder' (actually, all you would need would be a nice bright optical viewfinder, with an overlay of the framelines relating to the lens (and zoom) and some photo information, together with a bright focus confirmation spot. . . . you could probably squeeze an EVF in as well. The opportunity of using the little cheap zooms or lovely leica primes - HD video. But it appears that they have said they are not interested:confused:

V

Vivek

Jono, I would rather not discuss about Leica. I am focused on truly exciting, modern and useful gear. :D:D:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Brian. Then there is yet another adapter that goes from 4/3rds to Leica M, so you combine them to mount M lenses on the micro 4/3rds?

Terry

Jack,
Actually in late December Steve Gandy will have an adapter that goes directly from m4/3 to M. He's taking pre-orders (no money just a list).