Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G1 VS Oly 520 sort of

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G1 VS Oly 520 sort of

Well i just meet Terry up in my little cowboy town( Cave Creek) this morning to see the G1 . Okay the sucker is just so cute. She hated me saying that and not real macho. LOL
    Anyway she is coming for dinner tonight and I will download the images i shot and compare them with the 520 . I shot them side by side for a few shots but I have to say the G1 is a lot smaller and the lens is very small. Certainly a camera to walk around with for a week and not notice it is on your shoulder. The viewfinder i was very impressed by . The Oly feels like i am looking in a tunnel and the G1 is much nicer in that regard and felt more like a DSLR FF finder. One curious thing though it seemed darker than the Oly 520. I also noticed the highlights on the LCD blew faster. Now not sure that will relate to real blown highlights or the camera just gives off the warning faster. Which i tend to think it does. The G1 does have way to many things going on which is a good and bad thing too. Certainly it is RTFM scenario and maybe twice. Just a lot of stuff going on but once you get used to it i bet there is a ways to make it look not so complicated and just picking it up it is a little overwhelming with all the options that it has. So it is certainly nice to have the options but like most folks that know me i do like a simpler path in camera's. I also brought Terry the Leica M8 8.2 to look at . She was afraid to like it too much. Darn thing is really quiet now and almost have to listen to hear it go off. Big improvement for Leica in that area.

One other thing i see why so many are excited about and it certainly is cool as can be is the magnification for manual focus built in. Okay HUGE plus for that and also see why the M8 shooters are getting really excited about the adapter. This alone would make me buy a G1 no question. The g1 does not feel like a DSLR though and that could be a plus or minus depending on where you come from. the Oly certainly does but the big downfall on the 520 is the finder in my mind and the lenses are twice the size. We did do a side by side shot with the Oly 520 and G1 and it is a big difference with regards to the lenses . I have the 14-54 on the Oly and obviously the kit lens on the G1 and let's not underestimate the size difference it is a huge one.

Certainly this is a camera to throw in a bag as a backup for maybe your big DSLR or MF systems. i can see tossing this little thing in my case and run off to a shoot. So no question the form factor is really nice the LCD screen going in all directions is also a big benefit for dog view and over the head views when shooting. i usually call shots over my head Hail Mary's because about all you can do is pray you are framed okay , with this no praying needed. Just adjust the LCD down and away you go and look up at the LCD for framing, nice touch for sure. So i do see the G1 as a really fun cute little camera. There is that word cute again. Hell I don't have a better word for it, it just is. Also the nice blue color i really like and from someone that has had maybe 50 different camera's in 35 years as black , well blue is kinda a change in color palette. LOL

Anyway just some first impressions and hope to get some quick and dirty shots up later. But i do see why your all so excited, i would be too if I had one.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: G1 VS Oly 520 sort of

Let us see how long it takes for you to cave in!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Do you think he'll last until the morning?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we should get Jono to exert some pressure now
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Anyway just some first impressions and hope to get some quick and dirty shots up later. But i do see why your all so excited, i would be too if I had one.
    Interesting that you find it so different from the 520 - I don't find the 520's viewfinder at all tunnel like; nor did I think when window shopping that it was that much smaller.

it seems made as a body for old leica lenses -- but I doubt if that was the original intention.

Keen to hear more.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Robert,

I tend to agree with you... the E-520 isn't really that much bigger, and would probably be the better choice for those interested in the 4/3rds lenses currently available.

Unfortunately, I don't have any Leica lenses, but I am *so glad* I bought the G1 for use with my Hexanon prime lenses - the 85mm f1.8 becomes a 170mm f1.8, and is really delightfully easy to focus perfectly.

G1, 4/3rds adapter, Hexanon 85mm f1.8
    1/30s f/2.8 iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

[...had maybe 50 different camera's in 35 years as black, well blue is kinda a change in color palette. LOL...]

Perhaps you could get the forthcoming Olympus in BLACK and this G1 in BLUE and use them together for covering boxing, accidents, violent crime and hospital calls....

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps you could get the forthcoming Olympus in BLACK and this G1 in BLUE and use them together for covering boxing, accidents, violent crime and hospital calls....

Irenaeus

He needs a red one for this as well
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Start looking like a flag around my neck. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay the Oly 520 is on the left with a 14-54 on it and the G1 with it's kit lens. My wife will kill me but that is the top deck of her BMW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The lenses are small folks for the G1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

G1, 4/3rds adapter, Hexanon 85mm f1.8
    Brian, excuse my ignorance, but what adapter exactly is that?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay here is at F8 at 1/200 for each camera at ISO 100 . Now i used ACR 5.2 camera raw since both cameras can be opened in them for now. All at default as opened then made for web so no adjustments made . Both at 14mm

Oly than G1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now the G1 looks a little hotter overall and we could balance the exposure. Let's try a crop on this one too

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There was a thread on DPReview where exposures were matched between the G1 and D300. It seems like the G1 is about 2/3 of a stop more sensitive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is not real scientific since one camera is 12mpx and the other 10 mpx but at least the Oly is a good base camera to judge since we all know pretty much what it can do . So just some clues about how the G1 holds up which looks pretty darn good so far. So 100 percent crops Oly than G1

Attachment 9533

Attachment 9534

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So let's go back and match the exposure . Let's try another shot and call the last ones the base files since the exposures will be different and now let's match that up better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay i got my clock cleaned here the G1 obviously kicked my Oly's little tusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

let's show the crop here and you will se what we mean here. Terry is sitting here with me doing this making sure i don't cheat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oly than G1 . Now we need to make sure this was not me too with more images but the G1 is much sharper here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow ,the background Tile & Metal of Sconce is sooo much sharper w.the g1
    however the oly colors seem crisper/brighter in thr earlier pixs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

May have been Guy here the ones we just checked are much closer. What i am finding interesting here is they are very close in both color , contrast and saturation. Nice feat for micro 4/3rd's. Lens testing would obviously take more time and tripods to see how close they are or not but this kit lens is no slouch from the G1. I will play around later with some other files but have to say this is pretty darn impressive for this size and cost of the G1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    wow ,the background Tile & Metal of Sconce is sooo much sharper w.the g1
    however the oly colors seem crisper/brighter in thr earlier pixs
    That might have been me Helen with regards to focus . I will keep checking to make sure though. The Oly has a little tougher time with AF focusing the G1 seems just to pop right in and actually gives you the green boxes on where it focused , pretty cool actually.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I then set the camera to AF tracking and handed it to Guy and started "running" around. I think he was pretty shocked at the AF tracking capability of the camera and how the green box just stayed on me no matter how mcuh I moved around. I know other cameras can track but the implementation with the live view is pretty cool IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One obvious thing right off the bat is the G1 is more sensitive you have to knock the exposure down about 2/3 of a stop to match the Oly which in turn gives you a nicer ISO noise levels so not all bad on that part but maybe in normal light just use a 1/3 under exposure on the comp dial or more. Something to play with for sure . These shots i moved a little and the Oly was at 6.3 and G1 at 7.1 so ignore bokeh but the G1 is a better red here and the Oly is going a little to the orange side. Oly than G1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I then set the camera to AF tracking and handed it to Guy and started "running" around. I think he was pretty shocked at the AF tracking capability of the camera and how the green box just stayed on me no matter how mcuh I moved around. I know other cameras can track but the implementation with the live view is pretty cool IMHO.
    I almost laughed my head off. Never ever seen a camera do that , of course never seen Terry run around like a deer either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one is not a test between the cameras but a DR torture test. No recovery no nothing. Okay I am impressed how it held me and those deep shadows

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great Stuff you two.
    Just what I haven't had time to get around to doing.

It certainly looks impressive.

Now Guy - let's have those pictures of Terry running around like a deer?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono I do value my life. LOL

I have some more other images to process but this is a neat little camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Now Guy - let's have those pictures of Terry running around like a deer?
    A video, please !
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where can I find Sunlight? Or any light???

It is snowing again...wet snow..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks SO much for this comparison, Guy and Terry. I have been hanging on to my little Oly kit lenses, trying to decide on E-420/520 vs. going for the G1 ... seems like the G1's kit lens is on par with the 14-54, which is pretty amazing!

Now it's just where to find the money to go for it, lol. Might have to wait until the G1 "HD" version comes out, or sell my G10. Oy.
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where can I find Sunlight? Or any light???

It is snowing again...wet snow..
    Horrible isn't it.
    Here it's dark gray, drizzling . . . what's worse our darling finance minister has decided to change the VAT rate - so I have 25 customers to update before the morning.
    . . . . . . . . . and I have a hangover. I think the only answer is to light up the sauna for a warmup!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joan i certainly am getting teased about getting the G1 as our lovely forum members know my serious camera addictions. LOL

But if your sitting on the Oly right now the G1 does buy you some obvious advantages in operation but the files are very close too. Obviously smaller and lighter? did not weigh them. Also the AF , Finder view, Manual focus magnification, Af viewing points, more control and a few other things the G1 has over the Oly would make a good buy just on those improvements and sure I am missing a couple here. Also with adapters you can mount almost anything to it. Than it certainly looks like a smart buy. I wonder though what the micro 4/3rds will be next month or 2 months out from say Oly or someone else. So do you wait? Welli said this to Jack on the phone yesterday for 800 dollars and what it can do for travel and such and if it got stolen dropped or whatever all you lose is 800 dollars worst case it is not a bad thought. I know no one wants to lose 800 dollars but the throw away factor is interesting. Cheap for what you get and it is fun to shoot. For me not sure as a Pro. Okay let's be honest i can show up at a gig with the 520 and still look like a Pro but show up with a G1 what do you think folks would think. This does not relate to the hobbyist and i know looks aren't everything but Pro's do have to look Professional with there gear. Not saying the G1 is not but the small size is not normal looking. But that is my issue not yours as a hobbyist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Both at F8 this is very close . Oly than G1 but I do have to adjust exposure the G1 is a brighter file every time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

F8 again . If I see any real difference here the G1 records the highlights just a touch hotter but easily controlled with highlight recovery. One thing I should point out we are using ACR here now maybe the best or the worst raw processing software for these files. I would normally process in C1 for the Oly but I can't see the G1 so i went for a common software program. So at least we are comparing Apples to Apples and not oranges and of course this exercise is just to give you a good idea. If I was really going head to head here I would have shot on tripods and done other things to make sure at least comparing the same kind of Apple but heck do we really do that sort of thing normally when we shoot , not really so I hope it at least gives you some clues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay last two , don't want to bore anyone here. Oly than G1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Helen did bring up something about the Oly color and that maybe true it maybe a little better but I suspect since this is very early on sunrise which the color temp is around 4400 instead of 5300 for real daylight that it maybe reacting slightly different with regards to AWB. But I do tend to think the Oly may have slightly more punch to it good or bad it can be adjusted either way. But the G1 seems to have a touch better DR in it on the shadow side. maybe some coin flipping here and seriously I could go either way on these camera's in those regards but as far as features the G1 has it and the fact you can mount a leica 50mm Pre lux 1.4 for a 100mm 1.4 lens really would excite me a lot. I guess with the adapters you don't lose speed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are just some G1 shots worked a little and some sharpening added

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At 40mm 5.6 which i think is wide open at this focal length

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that's it folks. Bottom line i liked it a lot. Even liked the blue color.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess with the adapters you don't lose speed?
    No, Guy. As long as the magnification does not change, no speed is lost.

I am yet to explore the use of my 98mm f/1 lens on the G1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh and a big Thank You to Terry for bringing it by to let me play with it. We had a nice dinner with my wife last night. Drive safe to San Diego

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that's it folks. Bottom line i liked it a lot. Even liked the blue color.
    Well folks....that is better than when we were shooting and he kept saying....."Oooooh it is so cute"....."Wow this is really darling".... at that point I felt like it was the pink rhinestone version

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, Guy. As long as the magnification does not change, no speed is lost.

I am yet to explore the use of my 98mm f/1 lens on the G1.
    So any fixed lens will be the same as the original speed. Wow the possibilities

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Well folks....that is better than when we were shooting and he kept saying....."Oooooh it is so cute"....."Wow this is really darling".... at that point I felt like it was the pink rhinestone version
    It's still cute, so there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So any fixed lens will be the same as the original speed. Wow the possibilities

This is the reason that we are all so excited about the G1. There are so many interesting legacy lenses out there that will be so much fun to use on the G1. Vivek has kept me drooling.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Guy
    Interesting observations with respect to pro and status. I used to find that shooting with the leicas could give the same problem, but the solution was really simple. Just Stick a D3/Mamiya/whatever on a tripod, where it can be seen, then you can shoot with whatever the hell you like.

I think the proposition of the 100mm f1.4 lux is really exciting . . . . and from Vivek and Brian's experience it's clear that you don't need to do the normal stop down, the camera will focus just fine down to f5.6 (and more), so you can just mount the lens, set the aperture then focus and fire away (a long chalk from using adaptors on a dSLR).

I was taking some pictures at the table this afternoon, with the camera on the table in front of me and the LCD out - street photography would be the same, with that fast focusing and the excellent manual focus.

What I really don't understand is why Leica passed on this one. They grabbed the rather tiring V-Lux 1 from panasonic, then, when something comes along which will utilise all their legacy lenses . . . . they don't join in.

Panasonic have said that it could have been smaller - i would have thought that this could so easily have formed the basis for a CL for today.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    This is the reason that we are all so excited about the G1. There are so many interesting legacy lenses out there that will be so much fun to use on the G1. Vivek has kept me drooling.
    It's really exciting isn't it - how about some of those fast telephoto lenses - but it's the 75 'cron which I really want to use with it.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, Thanks for the nicely done Oly 520 vs G1 comparison shots. Surely you must have some gigs where a bright red or blue G1 would be appropriate for the occasion.

Regards,
    Carl