Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OM-D is Camera of the Year 2012 on DPR

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OM-D is Camera of the Year 2012 on DPR

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Tell me if I'm crazy for trading in a Nikon D90 with a 35/1.8 Dx lens and a 16-85 DX lens for an OM-D with a 12mm, 17mm and 45mm kit?
    I shoot with the 12, panny 20, and 45. Plus, I use these nikkors regularly with an adapter 105mm f2.5, 55mm micro, and temporarily a 75-300 for distance. Sometimes I pull out my 75-150 Series E which does quite well on it.

I came from a D200 with 18-70 and 70-300vr (plus 12-24 Tokina, 105mm sigma macro, and legacy lenses).

The difference in the kit weight is wonderful. I have been able to shoot with reasonable impunity up to ISO 1600, and I have with care gotten good shots at ISO 3200.

I would say not crazy at all .

Doug

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    1) The D600 has the far better AF system.
    You are absolutely right, but the question was for a digital, 35mm OM replacement.

2) I do not see much sense shooting old OM lenses on a 24 (or 22) MP camera, they for sure are not up to the needs of this resolution
    Correct also, but there is no current 35mm DSLR available that will mount the OM lenses and have less megapixels.

3) Using GPS and WiFi significantly reduces battery life, so when you want to shoot only close to home or in studio that does not matter ....
    I'm doing a lot of travel photography, and stock agencies have started asking for coordinates. GPS would save me a lot of boring work during post processing. WiFi... I don't need that, but I suppose it doesn't gobble up batteries if it's switched off.

4) Not sure why you say the 6D has better video, I would assume the other way around
    I saw a test somewhere, can't remember which website. Not important for me. A GH3 will eat them both for breakfast anyway with its superior functionality for video.

5) higher ISO is same or better with the D600 - do not believe all what is written in Internet published tests
    This, I've seen documented a number of times. Interestingly, the 6D shows less noise than the 5DIII at high ISO as well, but at the cost of less detail.

6) if you have Nikon (lenses) already why mess up with Canon else you really want to go for some of their high speed primes, which are not available from Nikon
    Again, it would be the digital OM, digital Contax etc.

To make it short, for the 6D I would not jump ships, maybe only for a 5DIII with some high speed primes
    Oh, but I am jumping ship... to m4/3. The 6D for me is rather hypothetical at the moment, and if I'm buying a camera with a 35mm sensor, the D600 would certainly be first on the list. But at the moment, I'm too busy buying m4/3 lenses and then there's the GH3

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Sounds completely sensible to me; I think it makes a perfect companion to a Leica - sometimes more depth of field is a good thing!

all the best
    Good thing, because that exactly what I did, minus the 17mm and adding the 12-50 zoom.

And I got an adapter for my Ai-S Nikkors, which are the 28/2.8, the pancake 50/1.8 and the mighty 105/2.5.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing, because that exactly what I did, minus the 17mm and adding the 12-50 zoom.

And I got an adapter for my Ai-S Nikkors, which are the 28/2.8, the pancake 50/1.8 and the mighty 105/2.5.
    I've found the 105 does really well. Be sure to set the focal length for the ibis to 105 when you use it. Also, a good diopter such as the canon 500d or Nikon 3T or 4T makes for a decent close up lens when used with the 105 as well.

Enjoy,

Doug

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    I've found the 105 does really well. Be sure to set the focal length for the ibis to 105 when you use it. Also, a good diopter such as the canon 500d or Nikon 3T or 4T makes for a decent close up lens when used with the 105 as well.

Enjoy,

Doug
    I have to admit that I don't know what ibis or the diopters are.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

IBIS = in-body image stabilization

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Diopter - Camerapedia, quote:

"Diopter

Dioptric Adjustment, often known as a diopter (or Dioptre) is an optical control on the viewfinder of a camera that allows someone to adjust the viewfinder's magnification to their vision, removing the need to wear eyeglasses when looking through it. Diopter adjustments cannot compensate for all vision problems, only near and far sightedness can be compensated.

Technically, Dioptre is a unit for measuring the power of lenses, equal to the reciprocal of the focal length (in metres). Positive numbers are convex lenses, concave lenses have negative dioptric values. The unit is used by opticians to measure the strength of eye-glass lenses (hence the usage of the term for viewfinder adjustment), and by photographers to measure the strength of (for example) auxiliary close-up lenses. Close up lenses fitted to the filter thread on the front of a lens may typically have dioptre values of between +1 and +3."

Post Thanks / Like

Tell me if I'm crazy for trading in a Nikon D90 with a 35/1.8 Dx lens and a 16-85 DX lens for an OM-D with a 12mm, 17mm and 45mm kit?
    Not crazy but with the components you have here I watch with big interest as to how you will bag and carry the kit?
    I am pondering the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Not crazy but with the components you have here I watch with big interest as to how you will bag and carry the kit?
    I am pondering the same.

I carry two OM-D bodies, 9-18, 14-150, 12-50 Zuiko's, 100-300 Pana and 45/1.8 pana-Leica macro with spare batteries, 6 SD cards and an Oly FL600R flash in a small shoulder bag, the whole lot weighing in at 4.25Kg. (I could lose one of the mid range zooms quite easily)

Compared to my travelling DSLR bag with just three lenses, all in a Tamrac rucksack, the complete bundle weighing 9Kg. It was a nightmare checking in at international airlines....trying to look nonchalant as if the rucksack slung across my shoulder wasn't killing me!!

It's the OMD bag for me in future! The bigger bonus is that I haven't lost a thing in IQ for the sort of photography that I do.....natural history and travel.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Question:

What is the experience with using WA Leica M lenses on the OM-D?
    Do some exhibit the well known red edge effect?

Thanks, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Question:

What is the experience with using WA Leica M lenses on the OM-D?
    Do some exhibit the well known red edge effect?

Thanks, K-H.
    I'm currently exploring the use of the Voightlander CV15/4.5 that sits unused in my drawer, as a walkabout lens on an E-PL5. That lens gives vignetting and red edges on the M8 and is quite unusable on the M9, so it is a good test case. I don't find color shifts with it annoying on the smaller M43 image field, but...

Getting a good, cheap, easy to install and remove adapter for M to M43 is a problem. Adapters from firms you have never heard of cost from $12 to $50 and all appear the same in the online pictures. From Voightlander, Panasonic, or Novoflex the more rugged stainless steel models cost $160 to $250. My $12 Rainbow imaging adapter proved too thick and a bit stiff in use. Neither of two lenses tried so far focus to infinity, although they work well at interior distances. 10X liveview focusing (on a tripod) is wonderful.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott,

Many thanks.
    I have Kipon adapters on order for M and R lenses.
    We'll see whether they work.

For my NEX cameras I finally bit the bullet and got the Novoflex adapters.
    Very expensive and very precisely made.
    In fact I can focus my APO 280/4 with a NEX-5N or NEX-7,
    then swap adapter and camera with the M9 and the lens is still precisely in focus.

Focus APO-Telyt-R 280/4 on M9 with NEX-5N - Leica User Forum

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I am pondering the same.

Probably the same way I do with my Leica- put a lens on the camera, put another in a pocket and go out and shoot. I have a camera bag, but I only use it for shoots when I know in advance I'll want more than two lenses or one of the lenses is big.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that I don't know what ibis or the diopters are.
    As was said, IBIS = in body stabilization. Really nice to get stabilization with that f2.5 lens. When you press the ok button, it brings up a quick menu in the view finder or on the screen. You can scroll through the choices to select the stabilization mode. However, there is a somewhat hidden feature here that if you press the info button, it gives the opportunity to change the focal length that the stabilization will work at. Once you press the info button, the control dial on the top of the camera lets you choose between various focal lengths. Choose 105 when shooting with that lens, and the IBIS will work best.

The diopters simply give you an ability to do some closeup work without using a separate macro lens. If you use one, it is important to use a quality diopter attachment like the canon or nikon ones I mentioned. Cheap ones will really degrade your images.

Doug

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I followed your instructions and by golly, it works great!!! Hot Nikon-on-Olympus action, y'all:

Self-Portrait, January 06, 2013 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Funky lenses on M5s

This one is with a Voightlander CV15/4.5 on an adapter that I first thought would not allow focusing at infinity. I finally found infinity at where the scale indicates 1 meter. This means the adapter is not too thick, but 0.225 mm too thin. To focus for an actual 1 meter, I set the lens for .5 m, and so forth.

A cold rainy night portrait, room light plus a 4000K LED panel hand held at my left:

I wish I still had the Nikon 105/2.5, but I would want to use it on a full frame camera.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Funky lenses on M5s

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    This one is with a Voightlander CV15/4.5 on an adapter that I first thought would not allow focusing at infinity.
    Lovely shot Scott - nice to see a lovely girl who likes to have her photograph taken (there's daggers in that look - I recognise it well!)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I still had the Nikon 105/2.5, but I would want to use it on a full frame camera.

scott
    It was glorious on my BF's D600. But my Nikkor 50/1.8 does fine duty as a Nikon 105 (more or less), and it's kind of nice to have an EFOV 200mm lens.

Post Thanks / Like

This one is with a Voightlander CV15/4.5 on an adapter that I first thought would not allow focusing at infinity. I finally found infinity at where the scale indicates 1 meter. This means the adapter is not too thick, but 0.225 mm too thin. To focus for an actual 1 meter, I set the lens for .5 m, and so forth.

A cold rainy night portrait, room light plus a 4000K LED panel hand held at my left:

scott
    I use the Oly 45mm as my somewhat equivalent to the 105 on a FF camera. And as Maggie says, it's kinda nice to have a 210mm equivalent field of view with such a nice little lens.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Even further off-topic: Snow Day in the Middle East

Snow in Jerusalem is memorable. A year before I first got here, in 1992, there were several feet of snow in one storm, which paralyzed the city for much of a week. The city still doesn't own a plow, so a 5-6 day storm, which was mostly rain with a vigorous last day of cold and snow can now be added to these legends, mostly for the precipitation it brought -- more in one week than we get in some winters. This one affected a wide area. For some great news photos, see The Atlantic's review. My favorite is #2, which appeared on the front page of HaAretz. You see pictures from Istanbul, Amman, Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and mostly Jerusalem in the collection.

Schools closed for two days, so I sent a scout out to measure the snow depth (max 16 cm) while staying inside and warm:

Leica M9, 28/2.0 at f/5.6

Unfortunately, these things don't last here. Yesterday it took over an hour to clear paths, etc. Today,

Olympus E-PL5 CV15/4.5 @f/8

We can't compare with Minnesota, but this seems to be about as much winter as, say, Boston is having...

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Your opinion Buddy Don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Don't mean to be naive, but if a "popularity contest" is good enough to determine the best available government, why wouldn't it be good enough to identify a decent camera? or a least worst camera?

I agree with Jonas, this is a worthy DPR discussion.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Oly is a great camera and would love to have one myself. For me though it just wouldn't replace my DSLR as I love those shallow DOF shots like many do, and the smaller sensor just can't compete there. Sure the fast primes retain the speed of the lens in terms of exposure but in terms of DOF you have compared to a FF camera:

Primes: 25mm f/1.4=50mm f/2.8
    90mm f/3.6

Zooms:
    Pana 12-35mm f/2.8=24-70mm f/5.6
    Pana 35-100mm f/2.8=70-200mm f/5.6

You just aren't going to get the same look as those big bulky primes and zooms on a FF. Sure you have tradeoffs in weight but it's not equivalent by any means.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

@ f/2.2 and 45mm, Jackson isn't sure he quite agrees with you, IRL:

Jackson's Lair, January 16, 2013 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

@ f/2.2 and 45mm, Jackson isn't sure he quite agrees with you, r

That's some nice shallow DOF! Your DOF is equivalent to a 90mm f/4.4 on a FF camera...you'd get a completely different image from an 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.2 FF lens. Not saying one is better, just not the same. Mainly my point is that if you want those ultra shallow DOF shots such as ones you will get from an 85mm f/1.4 or a 200mm f/2 FF lens there is no way to get there on a m43 kit. Sure you can get shallow DOF shots but it won't be the same. Can't argue with physics.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying it's a moot point, in real life use. Sort of like quantum mechanics.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying it's a moot point, in real life use. Sort of like quantum mechanics.
    Not really a moot point Maggie...it depends what you are trying to produce.

Pretend you had nice shiny new Leica M9. One you shoot with the 50mm f1.4 summilux and the other lens you had is a 50mm f/2.8 Elmar. Ignore IQ of each lens. Ignore lens speed in terms of exposure and light gathering ability.

Sure close up you can achieve shallow DOF shots with the f/2.8. You simply will not be able to get the same kind of images with the f/1.4 lens.

It's simplistic to say it doesn't matter. It may not to you, but in real life use it may to some. I'm sure when ISO 256,000 comes out in a Leica body there will still be a market for a Summilux, because of the type of images you can get with this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have a shiny M9 and a 50mm Summilux, along with a C Sonnar (which I prefer) and I'm not being simplistic, I'm saying that in my 46 years of day-to-day-use, you are over-stating the point and using your brain and your eye will get you close enough to happy most of the time.

Yes, sometimes you might need a DOF that encompasses a single eyelash, but that's rare. In that case, I break out my Mamiya or rent a view camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a shiny M9 and a 50mm Summilux, along with a C Sonnar (which I prefer) and I'm not being simplistic, I'm saying that in my 46 years of day-to-day-use, you are over-stating the point and using your brain and your eye will get you close enough to happy most of the time.

Yes, sometimes you might need a DOF that encompasses a single eyelash, but that's rare. In that case, I break out my Mamiya or rent a view camera.

It may be overstating it for some instances such as portraits etc, but at the risk of I'll give one more example and leave it at that. I have a Nikon 200mm f/2. I use it wide open, ALL the time, for sports. I use it wide open for shallow DOF not for shutter speed reasons. I purchased that one for specific reasons, over a 200mm f/4 version. Stopped down to f/4 the images I get from my 200mm are totally different than when used at f/2. For most people, f/4 will be fine and much more practical. That's the nice thing about the m43 system is the size and portability. There are tradeoffs though. I'm not saying one is better than the other it was just an example. It is incorrect to say they are equivalent in capability though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh here's a link to a "real life shooter" and someone who likes the OMD a lot!

Crazy Comparison Day #3, the Panasonic GH1, Olympus E-P2 & Leica M9 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Let the article speak for itself

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sometimes you might need a DOF that encompasses a single eyelash, but that's rare.
    I'm not that interested in shallow DOF for its own sake, but playing around with the OMD5's two medium tele primes, it can certainly happen, not ruled out by M43. Consider this picture, with only whiskers in focus:

(How's that for cattitude?)

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Love it!!!!