Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OM-D is Camera of the Year 2012 on DPR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OM-D is Camera of the Year 2012 on DPR

DP Review names Olympus OM-D Camera of the Year 2012, beating D800 and 5D Mark III. Having had one for about 6 months I have to agree - it's a breakthrough in offering very few compromises over the full size SLRs while being substantially smaller for travel. It has replaced my Canon 1D Mark IV and library of big L and white lenses, especially with the excellent Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 f/2.8 lenses (28-70 and 70-200).

While I had hoped the Leica Monochrom would get top honors (it's the real breakthrough) that camera is not really the market for DP Review readers.

Best Camera of 2012: And the Winner is...: Digital Photography Review
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: OM-D is Camera of the Year 2012 on DPR

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    While I had hoped the Leica Monochrom would get top honors (it's the real breakthrough) that camera is not really the market for DP Review readers.
    That camera is not in the market, period. To be able sell (let alone be judged for being the "best camera of the year"), it has to be available for purchase, first!

I am happy to see Olympus EM-5 taking the honors with their first camera with an integrated EVF.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well deserved victory. The OM-D seems to make a real stir in the market. In many way, it is what digital exchangeable lens cameras should have been from the outset, instead of replacing film with a digital sensor in a traditional SLR body.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whilst I normally don't give much credit to these sorts of awards, I do believe that this is a well deserved "gong" for the OM-D.

It is a groundbreaking camera in many different ways but the fact that photographers who in the past have shunned 4/3rds (usually for very valid reasons) are now taking to mFT and the OM-D in particular. Many others who were more comfortable with full frame and APS-c DSLR's are changing systems, is also really quite something.

I include myself as a relatively recent convert, and I have watched as more and more of my photographer friends have also changed complete systems or using the OM-D as an alternative or back up system.

Well done Olympus.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

>Well deserved victory.

+1. The D800 also in a different market segment.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it was a well deserved victory as well. I've had mine since April, and it's been a great companion.
    It handles nicely and takes good pictures.
    Olympus have finally sorted out getting a decent sensor just when there are enough good lenses about.
    It's been good enough to get me to drop my dSLR kit completely.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I laughed when I read this part:

"Although a very different camera to the D800, the OM-5 EM-5 is a seriously impressive product."

hehe, Nooooo, say it isn't so....

BTW that "Camera Of The Year Award" seems to be only a popularity poll from reading it. Bummer!

Thanks for the link BTW. It's kinda interesting to see what's popular with those photogs who take on-line polls.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You really can't take this kind of polls all too seriously IMO. It's good fun though, but nothing more nothing less.
    Let's face it: everyone likes to choose his own camera (read the comments).
    And if I had bought a D800 instead of the OMD, I'd have voted for the D800 !

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Whilst I normally don't give much credit to these sorts of awards, I do believe that this is a well deserved "gong" for the OM-D.

It is a groundbreaking camera in many different ways but the fact that photographers who in the past have shunned 4/3rds (usually for very valid reasons) are now taking to mFT and the OM-D in particular. Many others who were more comfortable with full frame and APS-c DSLR's are changing systems, is also really quite something.

I include myself as a relatively recent convert, and I have watched as more and more of my photographer friends have also changed complete systems or using the OM-D as an alternative or back up system.

Well done Olympus.
    I heartily agree with the above, but what I find really amusing is that the usual big two fanboys complacent smugness that fourthirds is not for serious photographers has now been replaced by vitriol comments.

I put this down to seeds of self doubt that are planted in their one dimensional my choice is the only right choice world and shouting louder helps ease their self doubt that their world is not the whole world.

I seem to remember something similar by die hard film users when digital came on the scene.
    Last edited by Craftysnapper; 2nd January 2013 at 01:14.
    Regards Paul. One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    My Photo Galleries
    My Flickr Photostream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    You really can't take this kind of polls all too seriously IMO. It's good fun though, but nothing more nothing less.

All the best.
    Sure, I don't take almost anything from DPR seriously. Their information is too inaccurate and some of the opinions and advice I read from the staffers and authors are often wrong and/or don't make much sense.

This poll is of course no big deal (to me) and I actually dig the idea of Olympus catching a break over that evil consumer electronics mass producer who makes 4/3 cameras! But thinking about it clear mindedly it's a bit unconscionable. I'm pretty sure I would vote for whatever camera showed the best technological increase this year balanced by the best images. And if I wasn't sure at least to some degree of accuracy, I guess I wouldn't vote. In polls here where the results aren't published in the same light I might vote differently but probably not by much. My camera is the GH2 and I certainly wouldn't vote it nor the GH3, best camera of the year.

So basically it's just poll spamming then. Heh! Have a can:

Hehehe...

But you good folks here who think the OM-D deserved this might I ask why you think so? Get specific. Just calling it "groundbreaking" doesn't work for me. What about it is groundbreaking ENOUGH to win Camera Of The Year? I wanna know... teach me teach me...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

All the best.
    I would have voted for the "Lunar" if I were a dpreview voter. The reason is simple, none are available and everything has been shipped to the moon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I voted for the OM-D, with my wallet last week

Killer features for me: the Sony 4/3rds sensor + Olympus image processing, super stabilisation and weathersealed body.

The range of lenses now available for m4/3rds makes this an outstanding small camera system - the current optimum balance of flexibility, performance and image quality.

The XE-1 was only held back by autofocus speed and raw converter support.

The RX-1 was only held back by autofocus speed.

I don't know why the D800 was even in the running? who wants a dinocam?

Obviously, a traffic generator for dpreview - but if it gives an indicator that m4/3rds is recognised as a mainstream leading edge system... it's all good for future products and developments.

Only superficially interesting to me.

I'm just glad to be inspired by a new camera in my hands

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    But you good folks here who think the OM-D deserved this might I ask why you think so? Get specific. Just calling it "groundbreaking" doesn't work for me. What about it is groundbreaking ENOUGH to win Camera Of The Year? I wanna know... teach me teach me...
    Because Olympus has made a fully electronic, exchangeable lens camera with good ergonomics, weather sealing and a superb image stabilisation in-body that produces images comparable to it's larger, more traditional counterparts, but made it as small as most of us would be comfortable with for enthusiast or professional use.

I think it's fair to say that they've transplanted the concept of the original OM into the digital world. The only other manufacturer that has so far succeeded with something similar is Leica with the M series, which is probably even more true to the original concept while at the same time grasping the progress of digital cameras.

But while the Leica is a manual focus niche product costing many times as much as a mainstream camera, the OM-D is priced and designed for any photo enthusiast or professional user to buy and use.

Sometimes, I get a feeling that the most important contributing factor to the OM-D is: Olympus listen to their customers. Nikon or Pentax could have built this camera. They didn't. Olympus did.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, nearly 900 comments on the result at DPR. Several forum discussions thread asking users to vote. Name calling. I wish the **** could have stayed at DPR. But OK, it is amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    DP Review names Olympus OM-D Camera of the Year 2012, beating D800 and 5D Mark III
    DPR don't take stand. The E-M5 got more votes than the other cameras did. DPR registered fanboys around the globe named the E-M5 the Camera of The Year, and that by a very small margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Well deserved victory. (...) instead of replacing film with a digital sensor in a traditional SLR body.
    ? The hump? The viewfinder centrally placed making our noses hit the LCD (again). I actually think Olympus worked pretty hard making the E-M5 look like an SLR camera introducing some OM nostalghia.

Sure, I don't take almost anything from DPR seriously. (...)
    I could say the same about many Internet places. But I think DPR and the DPR forums are among the worst.
    No, the E-M5 isn't groundbraking enough, it has enough buyers and fans to win the poll. It's actually interesting to see the FF cameras getting so many votes. I didn't find the numbers when just checking DPR but recall the FF cameras in the top five group getting a lot of votes.

(...)
    Sometimes, I get a feeling that the most important contributing factor to the OM-D is: Olympus listen to their customers. Nikon or Pentax could have built this camera. They didn't. Olympus did.
    Every single week passing by without announcements from Olympus telling us they have fixed all the firmware bugs tells me they don't listen to their customers.

OK. I'll turn the grumpy mode off.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mean to be skeptical, but a "user poll" is like a popularity contest. It well be the best camera since the Brownie, but it might also be purchasers justifying their ownership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't mean to be naive, but if a "popularity contest" is good enough to determine the best available government, why wouldn't it be good enough to identify a decent camera? or a least worst camera?

I agree with Jonas, this is a worthy DPR discussion.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, although Brian and Jorgen have described it so well, I'll bite too. Several things come to mind.

1. third party lenses
    For many people the point of mirrorless (at least partly) is to be able to use legacy and third party lenses. The OMD really nailed this with the Image stabilisation working so well on a half press of the shutter - meaning that one can easily manually focus a 300mm lens from the Olympus glory days (or leica or whoever). You can't do this as well with any other mirrorless camera.

2. Sensor Quality
    43 has been plagued with the mediocre Panasonic sensors - the Sony unit in the OMD has transcended the problem, producing fantastic image quality, even at high ISO. If it has an AA filter it's very light, and the images are sharp and sparkly

3. Auto Focus
    It's incredibly fast - the continuous is not good, but the one shot AF is just incredible - I've used it for surfing shots with a 600mm equivalent lens and nailed pretty much every shot. The touch focus/shoot together with this incredible focusing speed is really good for both tripod mounted macro shooting, and unobtrusive street shooting.

4. Body, ergonomics and size
    It's a camera - and it feels like one. Sure there's infinite depths of menus if you want them. But it works extremely well as a PASM camera, without ever going in to the menus - it handles really well, added to which it's small and easy to carry - if you want it bigger then put on the grip . . .yes - it's part of a system

As for the poll in dpreview - there sure were a lot of people who voted - nobody would suggest that the OMD is the best selling camera of the lot, so it's not just people supporting the camera they bought. If it were just going to be fanboys boosting their own purchasing decisions then the OMD is not the winner you'd expect (and the D800 certainly not the runner up). I tend to trust thousands of users more than a reviewer!

From a personal point of view, and having watched the poll develop (and thus seeing the also rans and their votes) I would have said that it was a pretty good summary of the year's releases (close runners included the Fuji cameras etc.) It's a pity they don't seem to publish the whole list.

all the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
    Don't mean to be skeptical, but a "user poll" is like a popularity contest. It well be the best camera since the Brownie, but it might also be purchasers justifying their ownership.
    If that were the case then the best selling camera would have one, and the OMD is surely not that.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Mine would be by segment:

1. D800 highres
    2. E-M5 for m43 stills
    3. GH3 for m43 and video
    4. RX100 compact
    5. X-Pro1/X-E1 as rangefinder style and low light

Except of the E-M5 (which I used for two months) I own all of them and use them. Most of the time now XP1 and GH3.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Question:
    What's the typical cycle for Olympus for the next model to be released!
    So, when will the E-M6 show up? Any guesses?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Question:
    What's the typical cycle for Olympus for the next model to be released!
    So, when will the E-M6 show up? Any guesses?
    top of the range?
    E1 - 2003
    E3 - 2008
    E5 - 2010
    OMD - 2012

You guess . . . although, the feeling is that this isn't the professional level camera, and that there will be a bigger and tougher camera which'll take 4/3 lenses, maybe at the end of this year?
    I'd suggest E-M7 myself (but only for symmetrical reasons).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    top of the range?
    E1 - 2003
    E3 - 2008
    E5 - 2010
    OMD - 2012
    I'm pretty sure the E-3 was out in late 2007, not 2008. I first held one at an NPPA workshop held at San Jose State College that September.

E-M5 Camera of the Year? Dunno. It seems nice although it didn't tickle my Buy It button.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm pretty sure the E-3 was out in late 2007, not 2008. I first held one at an NPPA workshop held at San Jose State College that September.
    Hi Godfrey - I bow to your knowledge - I just looked for the review dates on dpreview, .

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    introducing some OM nostalghia.
    My hand goes up here. I used an OM4 system on/off (trying other systems) for over a decade. I bought my OM4 new in 1984 and still have it. A small part of my reasoning to try the OM-D was to see if the handling worked for me as it did long ago and I think its quite familiar. Although the OM4 has a film tab window where the LCD is on the D.

I might keep the OM-D for the next 28 years like the OM4.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I might keep the OM-D for the next 28 years like the OM4.
    I've had mine for 8 months so far, but I like it more now than I did when I got it . . . and that isn't very common.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

If that were the case then the best selling camera would have one, and the OMD is surely not that.
    I very much understand. My point is the designation is meaningless. Of all the new model cameras in 2012 I would take a Hasselblad H5D, but that camera isn't going to win a poll of users because there aren't enough users. Not saying anything negative about the Oly, just the banal designation.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine for 8 months so far, but I like it more now than I did when I got it . . . and that isn't very common.
    I definitely like mine better now than in the Spring. I can see me shooting with it for a number of years because the niggles I have about it wouldn't propel me to buy an upgrade. Haven't been this happy with a camera for a long time.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1. Image quality is great - close enough to DSLR to replace it
    2. Size is much smaller than DSLR plus lenses are MUCH smaller
    3. Shoots up to 9 frames per second
    4. Offers many controls for customization
    5. Weather sealed
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian, Jorgen, and Jono,

Many thanks.

Well, although Brian and Jorgen have described it so well, I'll bite too. Several things come to mind.

1. third party lenses
    For many people the point of mirrorless (at least partly) is to be able to use legacy and third party lenses. The OMD really nailed this with the Image stabilisation working so well on a half press of the shutter - meaning that one can easily manually focus a 300mm lens from the Olympus glory days (or leica or whoever). You can't do this as well with any other mirrorless camera.

2. Sensor Quality
    43 has been plagued with the mediocre Panasonic sensors - the Sony unit in the OMD has transcended the problem, producing fantastic image quality, even at high ISO. If it has an AA filter it's very light, and the images are sharp and sparkly

3. Auto Focus
    It's incredibly fast - the continuous is not good, but the one shot AF is just incredible - I've used it for surfing shots with a 600mm equivalent lens and nailed pretty much every shot. The touch focus/shoot together with this incredible focusing speed is really good for both tripod mounted macro shooting, and unobtrusive street shooting.

4. Body, ergonomics and size
    It's a camera - and it feels like one. Sure there's infinite depths of menus if you want them. But it works extremely well as a PASM camera, without ever going in to the menus - it handles really well, added to which it's small and easy to carry - if you want it bigger then put on the grip . . .yes - it's part of a system

As for the poll in dpreview - there sure were a lot of people who voted - nobody would suggest that the OMD is the best selling camera of the lot, so it's not just people supporting the camera they bought. If it were just going to be fanboys boosting their own purchasing decisions then the OMD is not the winner you'd expect (and the D800 certainly not the runner up). I tend to trust thousands of users more than a reviewer!

From a personal point of view, and having watched the poll develop (and thus seeing the also rans and their votes) I would have said that it was a pretty good summary of the year's releases (close runners included the Fuji cameras etc.) It's a pity they don't seem to publish the whole list.

all the best
    All other features being at least up to par (with the exception of focus peaking), the IBIS functionality seems to be the major attraction for me to use the OM-D with my Leica lenses, especially the longer ones.

Of course, it would be unavoidable to add a few AF lenses and may be older OM Zuiko lenses.
    I currently have mainly Leica/Leitz lenses from 16 to 560 mm and use them on an M9, D800E, NEX-5N, and NEX-7.
    Which m43 or 43 lenses would you recommend and why? Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

top of the range?
    E1 - 2003
    E3 - 2008
    E5 - 2010
    OMD - 2012

You guess . . . although, the feeling is that this isn't the professional level camera, and that there will be a bigger and tougher camera which'll take 4/3 lenses, maybe at the end of this year?
    I'd suggest E-M7 myself (but only for symmetrical reasons).
    Interesting guess, consistent with 43rumors, quote:

"Olympus MFT cameras:

I expect a new kind of PEN camera to be announced soon (late January-early February). Same E-M5 sensor and likely with integrated EVF. On the OMD front there will be a new camera in Store by the second half of the year. And it may be a hybrid MFT and FT camera capable of fully support both lens systems. That may will be the hottest new Olympus camera coming in 2013."

Sounds tempting to wait for.

Well, I am getting right now at modest cost the E-P2 to stick a toe in the IBIS water, as well as trying out the VF-2, that should also work on the Leica M240 and compare it with the NEXs' EVF.
    So, I wonder how the IBIS functionality in the E-P2 compares to the one in the OM-D? Thanks.

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quick answers with regards to lenses.

Primes:
    Zuiko 12mm f/2.0
    PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4
    Zuiko 45mm f/1.8
    Zuiko 75mm f/1.8

Zooms:
    Pana 7-14mm f/4.0
    Pana 12-35mm f/2.8
    Pana 35-100mm f/2.8

None of these are cheap, except the 45mm, but all of them are optically top class. If you can live with manual focus, the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 is mostly better than the PanaLeica 25mm. There will apparently be a 42.5mm f/1.2 and a 150mm f/2.8 available from Panasonic later this year.

Oh... and both of the macros are good, the PanaLeica 45mm and the Zuiko 60mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I am getting right now at modest cost the E-P2 to stick a toe in the IBIS water, as well as trying out the VF-2, that should also work on the Leica M240 and compare it with the NEXs' EVF.
    So, I wonder how the IBIS functionality in the E-P2 compares to the one in the OM-D? Thanks.

With best regards, K-H.
    HI There
    Well - it doesn't compare - the OMD is in a completely different category. The sensor doesn't compare either - it was always the achilles heel of the Olympus 43 cameras.
    It's rather like buying a Nikon D90 to check and see whether you want a D800.
    As for comparing the VH2 on the E-P2 with the EVF on the OMD, it doesn't compare - of course, it's the same unit, but the refresh rate on the OMD makes it completely different in real use.
    The E-P2 is an okay camera, but it's no way to decide whether you want to drop NEX - in fact, I dropped 43 for NEX selling my EP2 and came back with the OMD.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen,

Many thanks. Excellent.
    I like a combination of new and older lenses, both seem to have their own charms
    So, please let me ask, how do you assess the OM Zuiko 300mm f/4.5? Thanks.

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HI There
    Well - it doesn't compare - the OMD is in a completely different category. The sensor doesn't compare either - it was always the achilles heel of the Olympus 43 cameras.
    It's rather like buying a Nikon D90 to check and see whether you want a D800.
    As for comparing the VH2 on the E-P2 with the EVF on the OMD, it doesn't compare - of course, it's the same unit, but the refresh rate on the OMD makes it completely different in real use.
    The E-P2 is an okay camera, but it's no way to decide whether you want to drop NEX - in fact, I dropped 43 for NEX selling my EP2 and came back with the OMD.

Hi Jono,

Many thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
    It certainly clears up a number of questions.

So, I have the Leica M240 on pre-order and bought a month ago the VF-2 at a considerable discount.
    I am planning on using the VF-2 on the M. My thinking was to get an inexpensive camera to see whether my VF-2 works at all and if it does, how well. It seems to be still awhile until the M shows up.

The VF-2 has a frame rate of 60 fps and I assume that's what one sees on the E-P2.
    In Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review I find the OM-D's refresh rate can be increased to 120 Hz.
    Question: How does the VF-2, aka Leica EVF, perform on the M240 in comparison? Which other characteristics matter in this regard? For example is there a blackout time?

BTW, I have no plans on giving up my interests in Sony's NEXs.
    Indeed, I like using them, especially for tele purposes.

I was also aware of the relatively poor sensor quality of the E-P2 and I am really only interested in checking out for myself certain aspects of that technology.

Based on several threads here in this forum there might be an OM-D in my future, either pretty soon or later in the year.

Thanks again for your help.

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen,

Many thanks. Excellent.
    I like a combination of new and older lenses, both seem to have their own charms
    So, please let me ask, how do you assess the OM Zuiko 300mm f/4.5? Thanks.

With best regards, K-H.
    In spite of being am OM user for almost 40 years, I've never used the 300mm. According to Tesselator (and many others), it's very good, also on m4/3.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing into the M5 generation

So, I have the Leica M240 on pre-order and bought a month ago the VF-2 at a considerable discount.
    I am planning on using the VF-2 on the M. My thinking was to get an inexpensive camera to see whether my VF-2 works at all and if it does, how well. It seems to be still awhile until the M shows up.

The VF-2 has a frame rate of 60 fps and I assume that's what one sees on the E-P2.
    In Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review I find the OM-D's refresh rate can be increased to 120 Hz.
    Question: How does the VF-2, aka Leica EVF, perform on the M240 in comparison? Which other characteristics matter in this regard? For example is there a blackout time?

With best regards, K-H.
    Interesting. I followed almost the same path. I normally shoot with an M9 and wide angle, have an M(240) coming perhaps by summer 2013, and bought a $150 VF-2 for it during the Thanksgiving to Christmas madness. I wanted an early sense of whether medium telephotos seen through the VF2 would work well for several possible scenarios, and the EPL5 had just come on the market, with prices as low as $150 off list (if you got the very unfashionable white-paint model -- please don't tell any of my Leica friends), with the latest Sony sensor and the same image processing chips as the OMD-5. The price savings to get a P2 instead while losing the image quality and handling speed of the M5 seems a bad tradeoff. And with the M45/1.8, I've got a pretty reasonable stand-in for my M(240) with a medium telephoto, only 6 months sooner.

Blackout time through the VF-2? As long as you set review OFF, it's about like the mirror return on a DSLR, maybe a bit faster. I had to check just now, since I haven't been bothered by it.

With regard to your pink question, the folks who can answer it are being coy still, since they are under NDA or work for Leica. The autofocus is pretty fast on the EPL-5, which bodes well.

I've posted pictures with the 45 and 75 lenses elsewhere in this section. It grows on you.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I can confirm that. I have E-3 files in the archive from November 2007. I never loved it. I think Olympus put a stronger AA filter on that one.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Loved mine from day 1 shot for 3 months in a California trip with Yvonne
    Never missed a beat with the Panny 24-70 2.8 OR the 14-140 (28-280)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's fair to say that they've transplanted the concept of the original OM into the digital world. The only other manufacturer that has so far succeeded with something similar is Leica with the M series, which is probably even more true to the original concept while at the same time grasping the progress of digital cameras.
    They would have transplanted the concept of the original OM much better if it had an optical viewfinder and a full-frame sensor. The original OM was nearly a Leica-sized full-frame camera. There was something especially sweet about that. With a 2X crop factor, the EM5 seems only superficially OM-like. That doesn't make it a bad camera or undeserving of its distinction. It just bothers me a bit that they are using the old name, but not delivering anything compatible. It seems to me that a prerequesite for using the OM name would be full compatibility with the OM-system lenses, and that would require a full-frame sensor to start.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell me if I'm crazy for trading in a Nikon D90 with a 35/1.8 Dx lens and a 16-85 DX lens for an OM-D with a 12mm, 17mm and 45mm kit?
    My Blog | Music | flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Tell me if I'm crazy for trading in a Nikon D90 with a 35/1.8 Dx lens and a 16-85 DX lens for an OM-D with a 12mm, 17mm and 45mm kit?
    Makes perfect sense to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Batistich View Post
    They would have transplanted the concept of the original OM much better if it had an optical viewfinder and a full-frame sensor. The original OM was nearly a Leica-sized full-frame camera. There was something especially sweet about that. With a 2X crop factor, the EM5 seems only superficially OM-like. That doesn't make it a bad camera or undeserving of its distinction. It just bothers me a bit that they are using the old name, but not delivering anything compatible. It seems to me that a prerequesite for using the OM name would be full compatibility with the OM-system lenses, and that would require a full-frame sensor to start.
    35mm digital OM replacement: See Canon EOS 6D

Post Thanks / Like

35mm digital OM replacement: See Canon EOS 6D
    I would rather choose a D600! Just my 5c ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    As a Nikon user, that was my first thought too, but:

- That would mean changing the mount on my OM-lenses, leaving them unusable for the OM cameras unless I change back. With the 6D, I only need to fit an adapter to the camera.
    - The 6D has interchangeable focusing screens. I believe split-screen/microprism is available as well (third party), and obviously the Eg-S screen from Canon.
    - From what I've seen so far, the 6D seems better at high ISO.
    - If video is a requirement, the 6D is better than the D600.
    - The 6D has built in GPS and WiFi while the D600 has neither.

But since I'm also looking for a camera that would work as a digital partner with my F6, I should have both, right?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Batistich View Post
    They would have transplanted the concept of the original OM much better if it had an optical viewfinder and a full-frame sensor.
    HI Zlatko
    That surely requires you first to define 'the concept of the original OM':
    If you define it as a small, lightweight system which produces excellent results then it fits perfectly.

If, as you are suggesting, you define it as A full frame camera with an optical viewfinder, then Olympus would have been mad to make one; because it would have to compete with the D600 and the D6, and fast AF lenses would be as big as those from Canikon (even if they could make an OM sized body).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Sounds completely sensible to me; I think it makes a perfect companion to a Leica - sometimes more depth of field is a good thing!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

This became and interesting discussion.

A couple of points from me (even though you all already know this I think):

1) Popularity doesn't equal "best". In the world of gadgets and products it almost never does. There are literally millions of examples I could name but all ya gotta do is consider the dynamics of popularity. And who here doesn't understand advertising at this point in their lives? I'm sure some of us could even point to ad campaigns which sold parents on the idea of feeding their children actual poison. To them it was the "best" or at least a good thing to do (at the time). It's pretty easy to make something which isn't even close to "the best" popular. Maybe I take myself too seriously but when I'm asked to vote on a product for "Best of" rankings I become conscious of a few things like the limits of my own knowledge, the choices I'm being handed, and what "best" means within those confines. Of course it's the job of the pollster to set up their participants by instilling a little awareness of those kinds of things too so if this became simply a popularity poll I have to at least partially blame DPR.

10) Someone mentioned the GH3 as the best for video? Really? What is the RED? What is the A99?

and I skipped 2 through 9 just to save you all the pain.

Post Thanks / Like

As a Nikon user, that was my first thought too, but:

- That would mean changing the mount on my OM-lenses, leaving them unusable for the OM cameras unless I change back. With the 6D, I only need to fit an adapter to the camera.
    - The 6D has interchangeable focusing screens. I believe split-screen/microprism is available as well (third party), and obviously the Eg-S screen from Canon.
    - From what I've seen so far, the 6D seems better at high ISO.
    - If video is a requirement, the 6D is better than the D600.
    - The 6D has built in GPS and WiFi while the D600 has neither.

But since I'm also looking for a camera that would work as a digital partner with my F6, I should have both, right?
    1) The D600 has the far better AF system.
    2) I do not see much sense shooting old OM lenses on a 24 (or 22) MP camera, they for sure are not up to the needs of this resolution
    3) Using GPS and WiFi significantly reduces battery life, so when you want to shoot only close to home or in studio that does not matter ....
    4) Not sure why you say the 6D has better video, I would assume the other way around
    5) higher ISO is same or better with the D600 - do not believe all what is written in Internet published tests
    6) if you have Nikon (lenses) already why mess up with Canon else you really want to go for some of their high speed primes, which are not available from Nikon

To make it short, for the 6D I would not jump ships, maybe only for a 5DIII with some high speed primes

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What am I supposed to make of this, an aberration?

"Screwy E-M5 IBIS": Theory and evidence: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Connect

Post Thanks / Like

It's close to half a year ago DPR Forum contributor Anders W posted about his findings. He was not the first one but probably the E-M5 user having checked his camera most rigorous.

I'm not sure about any consensus other than it is a good move avoiding shutter speeds around 1/60-1/125. Many don't recognize the problem. Everything is as usual.

I have the IBIS turned on, always, and I haven't run into any problems. Maybe I'm not good at peeping (but I thought I was) or I've just been lucky. That is in real life use. If I do a controlled test I can also see some minor problems with some lenses.

I think you are supposed to either perform your own test and go from there, or just not care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Heh, I went the opposite direction. I specifically chose the OM-D over the D600 (with considerable hand wringing). Lots of that choice based on ergonomics/weight. I shoot my nikkors on the OM-d with adapters quite happily when I want to use them.

I've said it before elsewhere, so far, the OM-D has come the closest to replicating the feel and experience of my favorite film camera (Nikon FM2).

Doug