The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 at ISO 800

Martin S

Just reviewed some interior images shot at ISO 800 (no flash), and they were quite muddy, and colors were way off. Screen images were much better. And yes the monitor was recently calibrated.

As usual, converted from RAW to tiff in Silkypix, and imported tiff into PS for some noise reduction.

I thought that somehow the conversion, and import might have been a problem.

So, I just printed from Silky pix, and had the same result.

Anyone else have the same experience???

Martin

V

Vivek

My first thought- improper exposure.

Care to share any examples?

Martin S

I would like to, but images are at home, and I am at work.

Images were at Grand Central Terminal - dark, poor illumination. What was surprising was that the screen images were much better than the prints. If exposure was way off, shouldn't the screen images be off too???

???????

Martin (confused)

scho

I would like to, but images are at home, and I am at work.

Images were at Grand Central Terminal - dark, poor illumination. What was surprising was that the screen images were much better than the prints. If exposure was way off, shouldn't the screen images be off too???

???????

Martin (confused)
Martin, Do you have a good profile for the printer/paper/ink that you used and did you you use that profile to softproof the file in Photoshop before printing?

Carl

Martin S

Yes, I used my standard profile for the printer/paper/ink.

I did not soft proof. I shall try that tonight.

The troublesome thing is that the screen display OK. Yes the image was dark. But not a muddy brown.

Printing after conversion from Silkypix to PS, and direct printing from Silky pix gave almost the identical result.

Sounds like a printer issue. But I used the standard settings for the printer/paper/ink.

So what what is the problem.

The image appears to be clear so at least thw camera seems to be OK.

Anyone have experience at ISO 800????

Any suggestions???

Martin

V

Vivek

I don't have problems at ISO800 as long as correct exposures are made.

Martin S

I think that have solved the problem.

The printed image not only appeared dark, but, more importantly appeared blotchy with lots of strange color tone variations.

I printed out the same image on another printer directly from Silkypix (no noise reduction), and the image was far better.

So, I think that the noise reduction processing (Noise Ninja) caused the problem. I have never had this problem with NN before.
It will be interesting to try noise reduction on other ISO 800 images to see if this is a specific, or generic problem with the RAW files.

Has anyone else had strange results with noise reduction on the G1??

Martin

Martin S

An addendum to yesterday's note:

I applied the Noise Ninja to a tiff image. I never do that in PS. I apply NN to the image prior to conversion to tiff.

Maybe that explains the difference??

Martin

V

Vivek

Please do not take this the wrong way, Martin.

I think it would help if you illustrate what you are conversing about with some sample pictures.

I am clueless.

Martin S

Rather than clutter up the site with my problem images, I will use the new version of ACR, and just see what happens.

Thanks.

Martin