Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Metabones "Speed Booster"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metabones "Speed Booster"

Quote Originally Posted by brianc1959 View Post
    Assuming you didn't move the iris diaphragm before and after attaching the SB, then its worth remembering that you are comparing images with a full stop of f/# difference (e.g. f/1.4 vs. f/1.0).

Also, with something like the 50/1.4 the real gain aside from an MTF boost near the center of the image is that you now have a very compact 35mm f/1.0 lens for your m4/3 camera, which otherwise doesn't exist. The 28/2 becomes a similarly unobtainable 20mm f/1.4, and so on.

So, for instance, it might be interesting to compare your 35/2 (sans SB) with your new 35mm f/1.0 lens at identical f/#'s when used on a m4/3 camera.
    Brian,
    Absolutely some good ideas. And I totally agree about one of the values here which is getting unobtainable combinations. The ability to take a raft of lenses and convert them all to something new and in most cases more interesting is a main draw of the SB.

Also of interest is what the character of the shots will be... Especially wide open. No amount of silly tests will show that, only real world attempts.

My purpose of doing this was to attempt together an idea as to how sharpness was affected as that is another draw of the SB. Now for instance, I know that not only do I have an unobtainable 50-105f2.5 and 140 f2.8, but they perform better in terms of sharpness.

Other lenses like the 28f2 that becomes a 20f1.4, I have to see how the real world treats it, and how does it compare to my 20f1.7. The 50mm f1.4 becoming an f1.0 lens is crazy fun although the 2x crop makes its effective fov a little less interesting for me.

Frankly, I find these sorts of tests only so useful, but they did point out some interesting things to me (the reduce in fringing, the color shift, a perceived increase of contrast, the smearing of the edges on some lenses).

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    Totally agree with you, Brian !

For me, the interest of the SB is to bring in reach (financially, I have to admit, or at all) combinations that would have otherwise been unreachable.

I'm talking about the 200/f2.0, the 35/f1.0, the 60/f1.0 and so on ...

Absolute image quality, a bit less contrast, some loss of sharpness in the corners, ... do not bother me all that much. Very often not a thing that cannot be corrected in PP, I found so far ...

Even cheap lenses like the 75-150 Series E become suddenly lenses otherwise not available to micro4/3 : 50-105/2.5 is a lovely fast zoom that many 4/3 shooters are longing for !

And my 80-200/2.8 turned into 55-140/f2.0 Where do you find that ???

Congrats, your SB makes my Nikkor collection twice as valuable on my E-M5
    !

CU,
    Rafael

Hi Rafael,
    Just to make sure, we are in violent agreement .

The SB is a fine piece of work that give me some very interesting possibilities. My post was not an attack on the SB, the test was (as I tried to express) something I only find somewhat useful and have actually never had much interest in doing before...

Perhaps most intriguing to me is not only is that 75-150 now something I cannot get elsewhere with interesting character, but it is ALSO as sharp or sharper than anything I have in that range.

But, lens character matters more to me... How does it render the image? What can I do with it. Not some ultimately meaningless brick wall shots.

That said, if I am shooting a lens that I now knows smears in the corners, it wouldn't make sense to put something I want to highlight in the corner.

Doug
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    Hi Rafael,

The SB is a fine piece of work that give me some very interesting possibilities. My post was not an attack on the SB, the test was (as I tried to express) something I only find somewhat useful and have actually never had much interest in doing before...

Perhaps most intriguing to me is not only is that 75-150 now something I cannot get elsewhere with interesting character, but it is ALSO as sharp or sharper than anything I have in that range.

But, lens character matters more to me... How does it render the image? What can I do with it. Not some ultimately meaningless brick wall shots.

That said, if I am shooting a lens that I now knows smears in the corners, it wouldn't make sense to put something I want to highlight in the corner.

Doug
    I'm an amateur mason trying to restore several old brick buildings, so I personally really like pictures of brick walls!

FWIW, here are some test shots on an Olympus OMD with a 50/1.2 Nikkor + SB. The firsts three are wide open (35mm f/0.90), and the second three are stopped down to 35mm f/2.0 (50mm f/2.8 on the lens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    Hi Rafael,
    Doug
    of course we are, Doug !
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Some shots from this weekend

First up, more with the 75-150 series E. This is clearly going to be a keeper combination. The first is a bit large as it is a 100% crop for people to peek.

Doug

The rest are at either 75 or 150, treated as two separate primes:

This one had really weird lighting happen for a few short moments:

Last edited by greypilgrim; 22nd July 2013 at 23:19. Reason: Missed one

Post Thanks / Like

More from this weekend

These are from the 200mm f4

Doug

At the pool:
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Last set from this weekend

These are from a strange combination indeed. The 200mm f4 with a macro tele extender on it.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Tamron 90f2.5 shots

Some from the Academy of Sciences today. These were all shot with a MF Tamron 90mm f2.5 SP (Adaptall).

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

50mm f1/4 Nikkor shots

Some from the Monterey Bay Aquarium today. Three of these were shot wide open, ISO 1600. I couldn't have caught them before. The extra light made the difference.

Oddly with this setup, I am shooting at a 35mm equivalent focal length of 70 mm which is a focal length I typically find awkward and almost never use.

Doug

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE these! Especially the sea turtle.

What lens?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be late to arrive at the party!

Am I right in thinking there is no Speedbooster that works with standard Panny or Olly m4/3 lenses?

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    LOVE these! Especially the sea turtle.

What lens?
    Thanks.

These were with a 50mm f1.4 Nikkor (non AI actually).

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post

Am I right in thinking there is no Speedbooster that works with standard Panny or Olly m4/3 lenses?

Tony
    If you mean standard m43 lenses, then no, that is not how it works. The SpeedBooster relies on the fact that the image circle for full frame and in the case of m43, DX lenses, is much larger than the sensor area. When you use these lenses with a standard adapter, you are essentially cropping optically and throwing away a significant amount of light being gathered by the lens.

Also, standard m43 lenses are already at the register distance necessary to focus on the sensor.

If you are referring to older OM lenses, I am not aware of their plans to produce a SpeedBooster for those lenses or not. You might contact Brian who has been commenting in this thread about their products.

Doug

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post

Tony
    That wouldn't be possible since they are already designed for the small sensor. But how about the Sigma 18-35/1.8? 27-52mm f/1.2 anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folk about the standard m4/3 lenses.

Now I understand.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd do a "I've been using this for a while" follow up...

The Speed Booster has become a permanent part of my kit. I will often go out with just it attached to the EM5 and a couple of Nikkors rather than my standard kit. For those that liked shooting a camera such as the FM-2, this is the closest that I have come to that experience. And, just as shooting primes can be liberating, so can going all manual focus. It slows you down and allows you to think about focus points, composition, etc..

Anyway, if you have a stable of lenses from another system that you used to really enjoy shooting, I would suggest considering the Speed Booster.

Doug

Here are 4 from yesterday:

28mm f2 in the caves at Pinnacles National Monument

200mm f4 with Canon 500d diopter. An endangered species of frog repopulating the reservoir at Pinnacles.

28mm f2 at the top of the divide between the two sides of the park

200mm f4 with Canon 500d diopter. I'd love to know the species of this plant; it has a very unusual pattern in the seeds that I found appealing.