The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-PL5

Craftysnapper

Well I finally decided to upgrade my little Olympus Pen to the latest model the E-PL5, and it arrived today. :)

Not been out with it yet but I did snap my Chihuahua Gabriel and my Granddaughter Scarlett in the house, both at ISO 1600. I am very pleased with my decision to upgrade the Pen after trying it out.

Last edited:

Craftysnapper

I took this yesterday and thought it was appropriate for Valentines Day

Those Two Should Get A Room

E-PL5 1/320 s f/5.6 ISO 1250 M.40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R​

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

I confess that other people's flower pictures don't really engage me, but we have a riot of fascinating little blooms in our tiny garden right now. I got a Leica 60/2.8 Elmarit Macro lens (vintage 1984) for my someday M(240), and in the meantime, it works just beautifully on my E-PL5. So bear with me...

ISO 800, f/8 or f/11. working distances 6 inches to 2 feet. The actual blues are way out of sRGB gamut, darker and richer than they appear here.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Do you ever offer to cover an "event" for friends while a participant? A meeting or something less festive than your cousin's wedding. Well, it's harder than it looks. But I am proud of this one -- E-PL5 plus the 45/1.8 shot from one floor above the poster area of a workshop on using machine learning to extract information from cellphone records of a population, predicting . Four posters are receiving animated discussion, lots of faces can be seen (and recognized) and the host organization's logo is clearly visible.

More E-PL5 material with my new Leica APO-Elmarit-R 180 superlens is posted in the Leica forum under "M and R lenses on anything else..."

scott

paparazzi666

I got the Epl5 brand new with the 14-42 kit lens, spare bat and 2x8GB cards for less than sg$800. I have been using the Ep1, Ep2, Epm2 and now the Epl55. I still have all the cameras except the Ep1. I really had to get the Epl5 because of the forward facing screen which flips the image to a mirror like behaviour. I am using some remote wifi trigger mechanism so I can now use the Epl5 from any direction and watch the screen to see whats being captured, then shoot. The Ep5 does have android support for remote view/trigger but for now I think the forward selfie style screen is the next best thing. I mainly use the Oly's for GLAMOUR and NUDE. Some samples can be found on this Flickr stream ....which is a restricted stream (female nudity) so please don't click if you might be offended.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparazzi666/9065183175/

scott kirkpatrick

Here's a rare sight -- a clear day over the southern tip of Greenland:

E-PL5 at flight level 350, with the 45/1.8, lots of contrast enhancement and color correction required.

scott

momo

Hi, what kind of focusing help is there with manual lenses + adapters on this e-pl5? I've been thinking about a new small camera and trying to decide between this, the gf6 or maybe fuji's x-m1/a1. Liking the lens choices, quality, and prices for the m4/3 bodies.

thanks...

scott kirkpatrick

Re:Manual focus aids with the Olympus E-PL5

Hi, what kind of focusing help is there with manual lenses + adapters on this e-pl5? I've been thinking about a new small camera and trying to decide between this, the gf6 or maybe fuji's x-m1/a1. Liking the lens choices, quality, and prices for the m4/3 bodies.

thanks...
In the E-PL5, there is just a magnified area, but you can select where that area is located in the visual field. If you want to supplement AF with MF by turning the focus ring on an AF M43 lens, it is a good idea to put manual focus on a button or at least to turn focus magnification on with a button. Otherwise you get magnification turning itself on when it thinks you want help rather than when you ask it to help. Also, I start by reprogramming the video START button to do MF or focus peaking (on the E-P5 and later), mostly so that video is disabled.

Note -- there are three cases -- legacy manual lenses (where the AF simply goes away); some Olympus lenses used on Olympus bodies (e.g. the 12/2.0) where you pull the focus ring back to use it and this enables MF; and other M43 lenses that sorta partially override AF and let you add MF corrections. For too many of these third cases, if you focus and then half press the shutter, the AF will undo your work, so you need to assign explicit MF to some button...

scott