The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-PL5

momo

Re: Manual focus aids with the Olympus E-PL5

In the E-PL5, there is just a magnified area, but you can select where that area is located in the visual field. If you want to supplement AF with MF by turning the focus ring on an AF M43 lens, it is a good idea to put manual focus on a button or at least to turn focus magnification on with a button. Otherwise you get magnification turning itself on when it thinks you want help rather than when you ask it to help. Also, I start by reprogramming the video START button to do MF or focus peaking (on the E-P5 and later), mostly so that video is disabled.

Note -- there are three cases -- legacy manual lenses (where the AF simply goes away); some Olympus lenses used on Olympus bodies (e.g. the 12/2.0) where you pull the focus ring back to use it and this enables MF; and other M43 lenses that sorta partially override AF and let you add MF corrections. For too many of these third cases, if you focus and then half press the shutter, the AF will undo your work, so you need to assign explicit MF to some button...

scott
thanks for all this detail...didn't know you could reprogram the video button, that's a plus for me, i never do video...also recently saw a youtube instruction thing by Rolf? in germany and he went through tons of stuff in the menus, setting the camera up that aren't evident at all...i'll have to go through that again if i go this route...

not sure what mf lenses i might use on it, have some nikon and mamiya 35mm lenses, but even curious to know about focusing an autofocus lens cause there's plenty times the autofocus isn't up to the job and i'll put my dslr on manual to get the point i need in complex compositions...

thanks for all the info, Scott...

short ps...ok, maybe the epl5 could use a button or two more on the body, but I'm finding it's good image quality, solid build, relatively small, light, with a max of two to three fixed focal length lenses a nice choice for a take everywhere camera...a nice step up from p&s cameras, and still gives lots of options...will need to head to my local shop and see if they'll let me try it out with my sd card...

Annna T

thanks for all this detail...didn't know you could reprogram the video button, that's a plus for me, i never do video...also recently saw a youtube instruction thing by Rolf? in germany and he went through tons of stuff in the menus, setting the camera up that aren't evident at all...i'll have to go through that again if i go this route...

not sure what mf lenses i might use on it, have some nikon and mamiya 35mm lenses, but even curious to know about focusing an autofocus lens cause there's plenty times the autofocus isn't up to the job and i'll put my dslr on manual to get the point i need in complex compositions...

thanks for all the info, Scott...

short ps...ok, maybe the epl5 could use a button or two more on the body, but I'm finding it's good image quality, solid build, relatively small, light, with a max of two to three fixed focal length lenses a nice choice for a take everywhere camera...a nice step up from p&s cameras, and still gives lots of options...will need to head to my local shop and see if they'll let me try it out with my sd card...
If you decide to get it, there is a very good ressource describing how to set up the E-M5 which shares a lot of similarities with the E-Pl5. Written by Gary Ayton : suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]

momo

If you decide to get it, there is a very good ressource describing how to set up the E-M5 which shares a lot of similarities with the E-Pl5. Written by Gary Ayton : suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]
thanks for the link Anna, a ton of good info...i'm looking at a few cameras over the next few weeks, a fuji x-m1/x-a1, panasonic's gf6 and maybe an older used g3, plus the sony rx100II...

tried the nikon A which was great fun, but felt limited by 28mm and lack of tilting lcd, and honest i'd go for the ricoh gr if i decide to go that way...i do love how small and clandestine these two are :toocool: