The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Friedel

Thank you for your kind comment, Brian. The quality of the Nokton is realy very good. I compared it with my Panaleica 14-150 at the same focal length and i think the Nokton is on pair, or even a tic sharper.

Karl

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Karl,

I really love the pictures, especially your riverside capture which paints the wonderful pastel colors of the distant buildings in contrast to sharp solid tones of the people on the pathway.

I am a bit intrigued by the pictures overall as the CV Nokton 40 is not known for always having a great mid to far distance, out-of-focus bokeh. None of your pictures shows the harshness that it can at times demonstrate. Have you noticed any of this in other captures? Personally I love the size and feel of the lens and do not mind editing out the pictures which have the harsh somewhat frenetic fade in focus in order to get its speed and sharp sharp imaging in focus.

I guess the question is whether you feel that the G1 is somewhat more forgiving of this lens in the way it draws an image?

Thanks,

Bob

Friedel

Karl,

I really love the pictures, especially your riverside capture which paints the wonderful pastel colors of the distant buildings in contrast to sharp solid tones of the people on the pathway.

I am a bit intrigued by the pictures overall as the CV Nokton 40 is not known for always having a great mid to far distance, out-of-focus bokeh. None of your pictures shows the harshness that it can at times demonstrate. Have you noticed any of this in other captures? Personally I love the size and feel of the lens and do not mind editing out the pictures which have the harsh somewhat frenetic fade in focus in order to get its speed and sharp sharp imaging in focus.

I guess the question is whether you feel that the G1 is somewhat more forgiving of this lens in the way it draws an image?

Thanks,

Bob
Cindy and Bob, thank you for your friendly comments,.

I use the Nokton only a for few days, so I can not say much about the bokeh, especially nothing negativ. Perhaps it performs better at the G1 with the 2x Crop?

Karl

scho

Karl, Beautiful shots with the little 40/1.4 Nokton on the G1. Bokeh with this lens can be somewhat unpredictable, but in your nice museum shots it looks just fine. I used this lens awhile ago on a Bessa and RD-1 and loved it. I had mounting problems with the same lens on my M8 so I sold it, but purchased another copy a few months ago in anticipation of getting a G1 and I'm very glad that I did. Your pictures confirm that this can be a great lens on the G1.

Regards,
Carl

jonoslack

I have a lot of fun with my new combination G1 with Novoflex adapter and CV Nokton 1,4/40. This lens fits ideal with G1: small and fast! Together with the upcoming Pana 20mm it will be a wonderfull lightweight camera. Here some examples:
Excellent Carl, and what an enticing combination.
:clap::clap:

phobus

Hi all, I just got a pancake LTM 28mm 2.8 lens for my G1 from eBay.. and it cost $19 + shipping :) It weighs just over 50 grams and is about 1.5cm thick. Its the industar 69 and it was made for the Chajka camera.

I guess the reason its so cheap (even for a Russian toy lens) is that although it fits on the M39 thread, there is no rangefinder coupling so focusing was by guessing... until the G1 came along!

You still have to do a bit of modding as described here to get it to focus to infinity.

The weather here has been terrible and I've got the flu, but I've included one picture (done with a LTM extension ring) just to show that the pictures come out WAY better than the samples on eBay.

lmr

Just Havign fun.. using R-50 Lux R to 4/3 and 4/3 to m4/3 adapters on the G1. Wide open, jpg, resized and posted. No Post Processing.

Brian Mosley

Wow, that is sharp wide open... tremendous!

Here's a shot of my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 attached to the G1, via the 4/3rds adapter...

And here's a grab shot, taken wide open with this lens on the G1.

Kind Regards

Brian

I've been looking at the many fine images on this thread, and appreciate the good photography that went into them. I have to say however, that to my eyes many have a slightly "too clean", plastic quality. The ones I have liked the best in terms of a more organic IQ seemed to all have started as Raw files. Assuming most of the others are in camera JPGs, perhaps the camera uses too much noise reduction for my taste, or in some other way makes JPGs that leave me looking for more. I tend to always shoot Raw, so this in no way precludes the camera for me. Anyone else see anything like this in the JPGs? best....Peter

Brian Mosley

Hi Peter, it's interesting that Panasonic use Silkypix as there RAW converter - so the jpeg engine (Venus IV?) will likely be producing a completely different image to one created from RAW.

I do think that Silkypix has quite a good NR scheme - but I now prefer to use Qimage Studio which has very little NR - I feel the same way about NR, don't like plastic look... RAW is the way to go IMHO... unlike the Oly E-System cams which have a superb JPEG engine built in.

Kind Regards

Brian

K

kiloran

A couple more with the Canon 50mm f/1.2 but stopped down this time. Processed in Lightroom. I continue to be impressed by the little sensor in this cam. And anyone who thought that the Canon was iffy stopped down should take a look at the brickwork on the full size version of the house photo...

Photostream for full version is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiloran

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a lot of fun with my new combination G1 with Novoflex adapter and CV Nokton 1,4/40. This lens fits ideal with G1: small and fast!

Karl
Oh no :angry: Just what I needed. Yet another reason to buy the G1 and the Nokton. I suspected that this would be a killer combo, and your photos confirm that.

And the G1 isn't even available in this country :mad:

Hi Peter, it's interesting that Panasonic use Silkypix as there RAW converter - so the jpeg engine (Venus IV?) will likely be producing a completely different image to one created from RAW.

I do think that Silkypix has quite a good NR scheme - but I now prefer to use Qimage Studio which has very little NR - I feel the same way about NR, don't like plastic look... RAW is the way to go IMHO... unlike the Oly E-System cams which have a superb JPEG engine built in.

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Brian- Silkypix is an excellent converter, I used it exclusively till moving to Raw Developer for the M8 and just liking it's output for other's as well. Your conversions with Qimage looked great, I hadn't heard of it before. As to the G1 JPGs, I would suspect that the small pixel size from 12 million on a reduced size sensor would lead to increased noise, and perhaps they apply too much reduction on in camera JPGs. How is the noise in Raw files, NR off, at Iso 800 and up? best....Peter

Brian Mosley

Peter,

this is the straight RAW conversion - zero sharpening, zero NR at ISO 800... pushed by approximately 1EV, so I'm guession more like ISO 1600.

A 100% crop :

Kind Regards

Brian

jklotz

Here's another iso 800 shot. Just got the tele zoom, wide open, handheld at 1/13th, f5.0, at 84mm; processed in LR with slight sharpening

Brian Mosley

Good example - I know that people say 'you can't tell anything from a web sized sample'... but I think the overall quality you see above would translate well to a 16" x 12" print. Print is very forgiving of noise (as is downsampling for the web).

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian- Thanks. It seems clear that the camera applies pretty strong NR for it's JPGs. If your example was 1ev underexposed in camera, it may have exaggerated the noise as it's better if anything to slightly overexpose in camera and then pull back in post to control higher iso noise. But if this is close to what Raw iso 800 looks like with no NR, I'd say it's a fairly noisy sensor by current standards. best...Peter