The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

V

Vivek

Speaking as an enthusiastic user with no commercial gains to be had from any brand of camera gear (and obviously no "connections" or "insider information" and the like), let me say that the m4/3rds also is an Olympus creation.

I will write more on it when I find a suitable format to put that in.

Brian Mosley

Vivek, I hope you're not offended by our guesswork (and that is all it is) - I agree that m4/3rds is a co-creation... but Panasonic seem to be spearheading the products.

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

My goodness, no, Brian! :eek:

I am sorry if that post came across to strong, harsh and with any sorts of negative connotations! :cry:

Terry

What evidence would that be Terry?
Vivek,
I can go back and dig up the interviews at the launch time. At launch, Panny had a camera ready to go (it was in the hands of reviewers for Previews). They had lenses ready and a lens line-up and time table. They had the EVF sorted out for still photography, and announced they were working on video.
In addition if you read some of previews, like at DPReview, they had been speaking to Panny about the concept and what they were working on for a while.

I will contrast that with Oly who had zero to show and talk about at the launch. They came up with a non working prototype and no time table at Photokina, haven't discussed anything about an EVF, still have said nothing about a lens lineup. etc.

When you look at the diagrams of the register difference etc. Everything being shown is Panasonic.

So, can I say with absolute certainty that Oly didn't dream it up and are really the leaders here, no but all evidence I have seen leads me to my conclusion.

If you come up with other info, I can be convinced that Oly is the leader.

Terry

kevinparis

In all the excitement of discovering the G-spot...

sorry... i meant to say G1...

but with all the semi orgasmic praise for our new found friend at Panasonic... lets just remind ourselves that some of us are still out shooting with good old traditional Olympus four thirds :)

a couple from the last couple of days

first a walkpast snapshot from the 9-18 late at night i Paris... really nice lens.. if a tad slow aperturewise

then one from today with an old Sigmatel 135/1.8

all just for fun

K

Last edited:

mark1000

As this is the fun with 4/3rd's pic thread i thought i'd have some fun with my wife's chocolate.

G1 14-45 kit lens, pp with topaz adapt filter in CS3.

Mark.

kevinparis

Mark you are a dead man... and your fingerprints are all over the evidence... eat it now before she notices its missing :)

K

barjohn

I think we can identify the chocolate thief by those fingerprints.:thumbup: Did you have to touch every piece?:cry:

V

Vivek

Terry, I will not dispute what you list. However, it still is like saying that Cosina dictate everything to do with 35mm RF gear because they have cameras and lenses that are current. By the same token, Epson should have been the undisputed "leaders" of a digital range finder as well.

BTW, that Lincoln memorial concert is beamed here live. Can't miss the biggest show on TV for this year. :)

mark1000

Terry

Terry, I will not dispute what you list. However, it still is like saying that Cosina dictate everything to do with 35mm RF gear because they have cameras and lenses that are current. By the same token, Epson should have been the undisputed "leaders" of a digital range finder as well.

BTW, that Lincoln memorial concert is beamed here live. Can't miss the biggest show on TV for this year. :)
I don't think that is what I was saying or intending to say. Pushing a technology forward is my point. That does not mean leader forever.

scho

A few mall shots taken with the 25 lux/G1. All ISO 100, f/1.4 to f/1.8.

Chocolate shopper:

Kiddy VW:

Phone Skins:

V

Vivek

I don't think that is what I was saying or intending to say. Pushing a technology forward is my point. That does not mean leader forever.
Hmm.. their (Panasonic's) EVF is from their video branch, camera body looks like a rebadged P&S cam. The standard is from the 4/3rds consortium of that Olympus is the founder, the principal player. As delivered (with the kit zoom) most of us would not be here discussing it at all. I would argue that it is the mount and the register that got many outside the P&S market (no dig against any P&S camera users) got interested in the camera and despite the meager/difficult availability of suitable adapters, fueling the interest in that camera. People (not online reviewers, advertisers, agents or the company itself) are pushing it and the technology will get pushed further because there is interest and money to be made for many of these companies.:)

V

Vivek

Carl, Those are dazzling colors! The lux does well!

Here is one of my snaps.

Panasonic G1, Angenieux 25/0.95, ISO800​

another at ISO200 (the lens is quite long and does catch the attention of people).