The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I went to Upper Antelope (slot) Canyon at Page, Arizona today. I used my G1 for part of the time and it did a fine job. I was using the Pen-F 20 f/3.5 at f/8. Terry suggested that I take the G1 and it was a good choice. The articulating lcd really worked out well in the canyon.

Very nice Cindy. Honestly we went there on our last workshop and shot with MF and it was tough to do. Terry's suggestion is a great one with the 4/3rds camera's and the articulating G1 is a great choice. Next time I'm going in with a 7-14 and GF1 on a monopod. Make it so much easier with all the people in there.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry, Thank you. I started out at one end of the Canyon with my Fuji S5 and big zoom on my tripod. I thought the Fuji would be the clear winner because of its ability to capture DR. I was bracketing and it was getting to be impossible to frame, focus and get the shot as the Canyon got busier. I took your advice and put the Fuji away and used the G1 for the rest of the time. Unfortunately, I sold my 14-45 lens with my first G1 and am waiting to acquire the 7-14 and 14-140, so I only had a fixed focal length. It was the 20mm Pen F (I used it in preference to my 20 f/1.7 since manual focus works best in the dark areas.) My G1 photos are really superior to my Fuji shots because I was able to frame more accurately. Thanks for the good advice Terry and Jack.

Leica77, Thank you my friend.

Stephen, Your Vancouver Island shots are beautiful and bring back memories of a wonderful trip there. We are hoping to go there again next year.
I would love to have shot film, but it was my first time in Antelope and I was trying to keep it simple.

Brian, Thank you. I have not tried HDR. I bracketed many of the shots that had a lot of DR. I am in a motel on my little laptop, so I will work these again at a later date and hopefully print a couple.

Guy, Thank you. The monopod is a great idea. When the Canyon got busier, I was basically using my travel tripod as a monopod.:ROTFL: The articulating display on the G1 was really a lifesaver. I can't wait to go back again next year.

The good thing about going this time of year is that there are less people. Unfortunately, there were no light shafts yesterday.

DonParrot

I also like this picture - a beautiful framre, by the way - but from a philosophical point of view I'd firmly contradict the theorie that there is beauty in death and decay.

JBurnett

- but from a philosophical point of view I'd firmly contradict the theorie that there is beauty in death and decay.
Hmmm. Let me rephrase that... there CAN be beauty in death and decay? Not that I go looking for it specifically, you understand. But sometimes I just happen across it.

T

turbo

My $5 lens.

It's an odd beast. Wollensak Television Raptar (C-Mount), 1.79" (1.79 ???), f1.5, coated optics. The focus scale is a linear scale from 0-9, with 0 being "to infinity and beyond" and 9 at about 18-inches.

A couple of shots at infinity and 18".

DonParrot

Hmmm. Let me rephrase that... there CAN be beauty in death and decay? Not that I go looking for it specifically, you understand. But sometimes I just happen across it.

To be honest, I don't see any beauty in the first two Pictures, J. They just give me the creeps.

Quite obviously, we have to accept death as the final destination of life - but I'd never shoot an empty shell that once was inhabited by a soul and was beautiful, then.

m3photo

Re: Beauty

There's beauty in death and decay, too.
Yes and no. Much as I like your presentation, I don't agree with the fish shot as being beautiful - apart from your excellent black and white rendering and the framing you use to portray your work. I have, however always said that there's beauty in dead trees for instance and yes, the fallen leaves wedged up against the rock in the water do have their value as you've pictured them but give me a majestic oak that no longer brings forth leaves each spring and there'll be something there still.

JBurnett

Don & Michael, my wife agrees with you two completely. She has no idea why I took these, doesn't like looking at them, and thinks I must sometimes be someone other than the person she married. :)

slau

Finally I have caught up to my image processing and here are a few shots taken recently.

Panasonic DMC-GH1 ,Panasonic G 14-140
1/20s f/13.0 at 48.0mm iso100

Panasonic DMC-GH1 ,Panasonic G 14-140
1/125s f/16.0 at 32.0mm iso100

Panasonic DMC-GH1 ,Panasonic Lumix G 14-140 mm
1/6s f/13.0 at 41.0mm iso100

Panasonic DMC-G1,Panasonic G 14-140 mm
1/200s f/5.8 at 140.0mm iso400

Panasonic DMC-G1 ,Panasonic G 14-140 mm
1/160s f/7.1 at 140.0mm iso400

I have to accept that my Panasonic G1/GH1 are not designed to capture fast moving birds like Chickadee, based on my personal technique and experience, as proved by my own failure.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Stephen,
These are all beautiful. My favorite is the buck, but the Chickadee looks good, too. I guess we can't expect to do too much small bird photography with this equipment, but you have proven that some wildlife photography is possible. I have this lens coming this week, and can't wait.