The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

D

Devon Shaw

Nice. It has a bit of an HDR look to it. Would you mind sharing your post treatment?
Hi Rawfa,
You are right, it does. I just recently started experimenting a bit more with HDR and this is a product of that. This was shot handheld and is three different exposures from my E-P1 and 17mm combined in Photomatix Pro 2.5 and then further tweaked in Nik Color Efex Pro.
-Devon

jonoslack

Finally cracked and got an EP2 . . . . the EVF is workable, but I don't love it, the camera is great though . . . . been trying a few shots with the

Leica 90 f2.8 elmarit -
here's one at 800 ISO

Oly 14-42
The new kit lens seems to be better than my previous ones as well (less CA, sharper corners)

Emma bought some new chickens after our last fox catastrophe - here they are:
ISO 2500

The greenhouse certainly needs a bit of TLC:

Crocuses have arrived:

The church at Carleton Forehoe (2 minutes from the office)

With the lovely 45mm macro
The churchyard is full of snowdrops and Aconites

all the best

jonoslack

Hi There
Carl
- that Zeiss shot is wonderful . . . I still regret selling my father's G2 lenses :cry:
Still, it's the light that makes the shot so nice rather than the obvious sharpness.

Brian-
That implies that BT worship is on the cards . . . take care!
The coastal shots are nicely composed and all . . . but a complete lack of light is always a bit of an issue!

Devon - I still can't quite get to grips with the HDR look of the barn. but that last 'full frontal' shot of the boy is wonderful (although I can imagine he might not be so keen!).

Mike - lovely - I especially like the 2nd shot of the fence in the water, the 3rd shot of the old gate and the last one of the bridge

Klaus - your death of a bloom is sublime (as always).

John - what a wonderful staircase - surprisingly I think I prefer the colour shot

Tullio - what an extravagant glove to leave behind - did it drop off a ski-lift?

all the best

JBurnett

Lovely shots, John. How did you smuggle a camera in there?

Keith
The AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) allows cameras inside, but you can't take pictures of the artwork. My only regret was that on this visit the lower floors of the staircase were blocked off because of the 'Tut' exhibit (and will remain so until sometime in April). However, the staircase between the 4th and 5th floors (where the stairs actually snake outside of the building) is open.

From outside:

From inside:

Diane B

What a lovely diverse group of images above. I enjoyed all and won't add my comments more than that. I guess I'm just in a funk --grey/grey/brown does that to one LOL--so I've enjoyed looking at others photos.

Diane

D

Devon Shaw

Thanks for the comments Jono,
I was just looking through the galleries on your site, you have some impressive stuff there.
I worked on an alternate version of the barn at the same time, but ended up preferring the color one,

jonoslack

What a lovely diverse group of images above. I enjoyed all and won't add my comments more than that. I guess I'm just in a funk --grey/grey/brown does that to one LOL--so I've enjoyed looking at others photos.

Diane
HI Diane
I so do know what you mean - we had some unusual and exciting snow a while back, but for weeks it's just been grey and cold every day yeuch.
Today and yesterday however, it's been like spring - lovely, although there is still a chilly breeze

Devon.
too much stuff on website I'm afraid, and reduced to pictures of puppies :ROTFL:

I like the colour version of the barn better as well . . . but I think the foreground is too bright - it just isn't like that when you get a grey sky, and my mind rebels against it! (unless, of course, the foreground is lit by the sun, but that looks quite different). I generally feel that if you need more than two shots to get the dynamic range in, then it's likely to look unnatural. The other thing is that I'm never convinced by the 'blending' that lots of these programs do - I think it looks better generally when you use the different photos for the different parts of the picture, and just deal with the edges (difficult with trees!). Of course, this is just my personal feeling, and I usually seem to be wrong :cry:.

all the best

peterb

Thank you! That one was focused and framed at eye-level using the EVF. As was this one, taken a few minutes prior (same lens and settings, a little shorter exposure time):

One of the reasons I've decided to stick with the G1 and not buy a GF1 is that I use the EVF rather a lot; having the EVF built-in and always available is a plus, as is the ability to split the EVF with information panel on the LCD.
Plus the EVF on the GF! isn't NEARLY as good as the one on the G1. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Tullio

Tullio - what an extravagant glove to leave behind - did it drop off a ski-lift?
Someone must have taken it off temporarily, placed it on that stick and forgot to retrieve it. We were the only ones left at the park so I imagine that whoever owned it simply forgot about it and would eventually come back for it.

I solve the flower shot with the 45mm macro. The bokeh is beautiful. Great shot (although all others are very nice as well).

Godfrey

Plus the EVF on the GF! isn't NEARLY as good as the one on the G1.
No offense intended, but I find that statement to be irrelevant. The GF1 EVF works nicely in my experience, even it if is lower resolution. But overall the G1 body does things a little more comfortably for my hands. ;-)

M

maxmorrison

Hi guys, I'm a new m43 happy owner :)
After few days with my new Panasonic GF1 I can say that is worth the change!

Part of a photoshoot done to my bike, more to come stay tuned.

GF1 14-45 @14

3 shoots joined (one over exp one under exp and one good)

HDR post done in Adobe PhotoShop

Last edited:

Tullio

Nice! Did you use a tripod or was it hand held? I can't seem to get three hand-held identical shots to do HDR processing.

D

Devon Shaw

Devon.
too much stuff on website I'm afraid, and reduced to pictures of puppies :ROTFL:

I like the colour version of the barn better as well . . . but I think the foreground is too bright - it just isn't like that when you get a grey sky, and my mind rebels against it! (unless, of course, the foreground is lit by the sun, but that looks quite different). I generally feel that if you need more than two shots to get the dynamic range in, then it's likely to look unnatural. The other thing is that I'm never convinced by the 'blending' that lots of these programs do - I think it looks better generally when you use the different photos for the different parts of the picture, and just deal with the edges (difficult with trees!). Of course, this is just my personal feeling, and I usually seem to be wrong :cry:.

all the best
Jono,
I think you are right as far as combining individual parts of multiple exposures looking more natural. For this shot though I was after a more surreal look and my lack of a tripod made hand stitching feel not overly appealing. Thank you for your thoughts,
-Devon

P.S. Your sets from Suffolk in 2008 are quite gorgeous. Hopefully I will get to travel and run away for a while once summer comes.

M

maxmorrison

Nice! Did you use a tripod or was it hand held? I can't seem to get three hand-held identical shots to do HDR processing.
I was lying down on the floor with a micro rubberized tripod, the tricky part ;)

People around was looking me 'bout what was doing in this position....

M

maxmorrison

GF1 + Olympus OM 80/200 f4.5 1/1000 ISO 200

Olympus 50 f.14 1/30 ISO 200