The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

biglouis

Stopped by a local pond this morning just as the sun was coming up and shot this little still life. I hoped the photo would capture a sense of the quiet and peacefulness of the setting.

ISO 100 84mm f/6.3 1/400s (45-200mm lens) / Post in PS CS5.
The GF1 continues to impress me.

http://www.boxedlight.com/gf1/images/stilsonpond.jpg
Outstanding - which given the very high quality of all the posts in this thread is quite an accolade, imho

kweide

Red Hat

Olympus E-5 and Panasonic Summilux 25 mmF1.4, no NR
ISO 400 @ f1.4 1/60 second, 25 mm focal length​

Godfrey

Intent

Olympus E-1 + Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8
ISO 3200 @ f/2.8 @ 1/100 second

Playing around with the E-1 and Konica 40mm f/1.8 today, I was inspired to experiment with ISO 3200 for the "big grain" feel. Kinda likin' it. :)

thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

OlliL

Looks good Godfrey!

Can you post a picture of the E-1 Konica setup?
Thinking about adding a bigger Olympus to my gear (again).

turbines

Here's two taken day before last with the Nikkor-H 28mm f3.5 - Which I like a lot more than I thought I would!

Both taken at f/3.5 IIRC. This little guy is nice and contrasty and very sharp at 100%... I like it! :)

These aren't 100% crops though - these are the typical 25% or so scales. Again, very little PP - noting at all invasive - no need to.
Very nice! What is the significance of "IIRC"?

Godfrey

Looks good Godfrey!

Can you post a picture of the E-1 Konica setup?
Thinking about adding a bigger Olympus to my gear (again).
Sure, no problem:

Quickies made hand-held with the E-5 and 50mm Macro lens ... :)

It's smaller, handier, and lighter weight than it appears. The deep lens hood gives excellent protection to the lens and excellent protection from flare with no vignetting.

Tesselator

Very impressive results. I don't think I could manually focus a bird in flight at 100mm f/2.5 on a GH1. You did a great job of it!
Oh, you could! I'm not very good and I can. And you'd have to anyway. Well maybe not with a 100mm but with anything longer than that and/or smaller/faster birds AF just will not work - any camera with the equivalent FL. Maybe if you practice your arse off with a Wimberley gimbal head and your camera's tracking is the best in the industry then... But typically AF is a no go. I've heard many BIF shooters say the same thing too. My only wish in that the GH1 had 7 to 10 FPS in continuous mode! Then I could focus and also get enough frames/poses to have a nice selection! 3FPS with a max buffer of 3 shots sucks MAJOR nuggets!

Here's the GH1 with a FD 300 F/4L @ F/4 ~ F/5, manual focusing, manual tracking, manual exposure, all shown here at 90% ~ 100% cropped:

Jump out and hover for 0.8s

Extreme Diving

Landing after missing a fish. (you can tell he's pissed!)

Landing after missing another fish. (I could almost hear him cursing.)

The Takeoff.

Taking aim.

Target Acquired!

Success!

That was yummy!

Going for seconds!

I was down there again today too. There were 8 other guys shooting this little fellow. At around 4pm we all got together for some coffee and showed each other our results. Of the 9 of us all were manually focusing except one. The manual focusers all had 20 to 100 excellent shots. I had 17 - but I don't think they're excellent... they were in focus and the bird was in frame at least (about like these above). The AF shooter was using the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens on a 1.6 crop body. He had one in-foocus shot from 5 hours of shooting - though I dunno how many total shots he took. It could be that he only took one LOL but I'm pretty sure I heard his 6.5fps camera go off at least half a dozen times - just near me. I took a total of 26 shots of the king fisher but 9 of them were kinda like this (Next post):