The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Godfrey

Re: Bench On Tiled Floor

Thanks for the comments.

Beautiful photo, Godfrey. Have you ever considered the 14-35mm f/2?
Over and over again. It's both expensive and bulky, but it's the perfect speed and focal length range (although I do wish it went to 10mm ... ;-). I've rented it twice ... the imaging is superb.

Hmm. If I sold the Summilux, ZD 11-22 and Leica 14-50, I'd have most of the money for it. Hmm. Hmm.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Thanks for the comments.

Over and over again. It's both expensive and bulky, but it's the perfect speed and focal length range (although I do wish it went to 10mm ... ;-). I've rented it twice ... the imaging is superb.

Hmm. If I sold the Summilux, ZD 11-22 and Leica 14-50, I'd have most of the money for it. Hmm. Hmm.
Tempting, isn't it. And it's only one stop slower than the Summilux...

Bought a new lens today, the Pana 7-14. If somebody had suggested to me six months ago to forget about all my Nikon gear and go all m4/3 (plus maybe an E-5 when I need weather sealing etc.), I would have taken it for a somewhat silly joke. Now, I'm not so sure. The 7-14 is at least as good as I need, and why carry two kilograms when I can carry one?

GH1 with 7-14mm @ 14mm, f/4 and 1/15s. Handheld, cropped top and bottom.

Tesselator

Here's some shots with the Sigma 500mm F7.3 APO (AF if you have a Nikon or etc. :D) which sells typically for $250 (ex~mint) these days.
http://www.dyxum.com/images/Lenses/228/228_2.jpg
http://www.dyxum.com/images/Lenses/228/228_1.jpg

No processing at all:

At F/8, 1/320s ISO640 - About 30 feet away

No Processing at all:

At F/11, 1/160s ISO400 75% crop - About 60 feet away

Here's the difference between f/8 and f/11: Processed somewhat (Curves in PS).

F8, 1/100s ISO400

F11, 1/80s ISO400
I can't see very much difference - even the blur looks about the same. (Both about 15 feet away)

Here's two images with my typical (full) processing. I dunno what aperture. Probably less than f/11 tho.

1/60s, ISO400, 50% Crop - About 35 feet away.

1/125s, ISO200, 70% Crop - About 75 ~ 85 feet away

Last edited:

Godfrey

Tempting, isn't it. And it's only one stop slower than the Summilux...
It is and it isn't. I do like the Summilux' rendering qualities ... they're different from the 14-35 ... and I do tend to prefer using prime lenses anyway. And it weighs a pound less.

Whenever I can't quite make up my mind, I don't act and just keep on working with what I have. Less expensive that way.

Bought a new lens today, the Pana 7-14. If somebody had suggested to me six months ago to forget about all my Nikon gear and go all m4/3 (plus maybe an E-5 when I need weather sealing etc.), I would have taken it for a somewhat silly joke. Now, I'm not so sure. The 7-14 is at least as good as I need, and why carry two kilograms when I can carry one?
:) A friend of mine finally caved and bought one too. Now he can't seem to take it off the camera. (Good thing he has two G1s ... he bought mine as a second body when I decided to concentrate on using the E-5 and E-1 exclusively.) He's almost forgotten about this Nikon gear too.

New Years Eve getting closer ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

:) A friend of mine finally caved and bought one too. Now he can't seem to take it off the camera. (Good thing he has two G1s ... he bought mine as a second body when I decided to concentrate on using the E-5 and E-1 exclusively.) He's almost forgotten about this Nikon gear too.

New Years Eve getting closer ...
My first thought after taking a couple of shots was just that: now I need one more body. The 7-14 is pretty much going to stay where it is. The question is: Another GH1 for a silly low price or wait for the GH2 and pay twice as much. Choices, choices...

Godfrey

My first thought after taking a couple of shots was just that: now I need one more body. The 7-14 is pretty much going to stay where it is. The question is: Another GH1 for a silly low price or wait for the GH2 and pay twice as much. Choices, choices...
He had no interest in the video and found he preferred the G1 body over the G2 body (the touchscreen kept getting in his way), so he sold his G2 and bought my G1.

One of the reasons I like the 11-22 is that it goes from what is my most used ultrawide to very near normal FoV. Lets me carry just it on the one body and not worry about much else a good bit of the time.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

He had no interest in the video and found he preferred the G1 body over the G2 body (the touchscreen kept getting in his way), so he sold his G2 and bought my G1.

One of the reasons I like the 11-22 is that it goes from what is my most used ultrawide to very near normal FoV. Lets me carry just it on the one body and not worry about much else a good bit of the time.
I do some video on occasions, and also feel that the sensor in the GH1 is better than the G1. Since I had the opportunity to buy the GH1 as body only for just a fraction more than the G1, it was an easy choice.

The 11-22 lived more or less permanently on my E-1 exactly for the reason you mention, and should I buy an E-5, an 11-22/50-200 combo is a very likely. Unfortunately, the 11-22 won't AF on m43 cameras.

Godfrey

I do some video on occasions, and also feel that the sensor in the GH1 is better than the G1. Since I had the opportunity to buy the GH1 as body only for just a fraction more than the G1, it was an easy choice.

The 11-22 lived more or less permanently on my E-1 exactly for the reason you mention, and should I buy an E-5, an 11-22/50-200 combo is a very likely. Unfortunately, the 11-22 won't AF on m43 cameras.
The sensor differences G1-GH1-G2, after a good bit of direct comparison, are so small as to be inconsequential to me. My opinion, of course.

Autofocus with the 11-22 is supported by all Olympus Pen E-Px bodies and with the Panasonic G2/G10/G2H/GF2 bodies. It's not super fast, but then manual focus with the G1/GH1 bodies and their EVF (or the Pen E-P2/E-PL1 plus EVF) is such a piece of cake I hardly notice the lack of AF support.

I tend to focus manually a good bit of the time anyway ... My current most common setup on the E-5 is to use MF with Mode-3 for the AEL/AFL button (one-time AF only).

jonoslack

Olympus E-5 + ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
ISO 400 @ f/4 @ 1/20 second

thanks for looking. comments appreciated.
Hi Godfrey
I think this is splendid - I wouldn't change a thing - excellent and compelling photo :clap::clap:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just testing, from my balcony on the sixth floor, across the canal and down the road with the GH1 and OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex. The total weight of the combo is 975g and the reach in 35mm terms 1000mm. This lens doesn't feature a tripod mount and is best used handheld, so requires a lot of light. It's also relatively low contrast, so post processing includes increasing contrast (I use curves for that), some sharpening and bumping up the saturation slightly.

GH1 with OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex at 1/2000s and ISO800

Here's a 100% crop for the pixel peepers. No noise reduction except in-camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Autofocus with the 11-22 is supported by all Olympus Pen E-Px bodies and with the Panasonic G2/G10/G2H/GF2 bodies. It's not super fast, but then manual focus with the G1/GH1 bodies and their EVF (or the Pen E-P2/E-PL1 plus EVF) is such a piece of cake I hardly notice the lack of AF support.
I stand corrected. One more reason to consider it again then, if only Olympus could come up with a weather sealed m43 body.

Godfrey

Re: WS m4/3

If only anybody would come up with a weather sealed m4/3 body ...
I feel pretty confident that Olympus will do this eventually. When they ship the pro-grade Micro-FourThirds lenses, I imagine. The E-5 and E-1 will do fine for that in the meanwhile.

I'm a patient person.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
After a few, late hours with the absolutely lovely Panasonic 7-14mm, I see that inside this lens, there are zillions of lovely photos that I didn't know existed. Looking forward to an exciting journey :)

GH1 with Panasonic 7-14 @ 7mm, f/4, 1/8s and ISO800