The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

DHart

Tesselator... that fellow is QUITE the character! Remarkable image.

Devon... great slice of life... I too am rarely around crowds of people and would find that to be something of a slice of life photo bonanza. I like the composition, colors, expressions and especially that fellow checkin' you out!

Karl... wow... that sculpture is in such hideous contrast to the gorgeous (made ever more so by your color rendition of the scene and people vs. the sculpture), classic architecture that's behind it. You've done a great job of accentuating the clash of style and culture. Too bad the town fathers couldn't just leave well enough alone. Some art and some architecture just don't mix well together, do they. ;-)

D

Devon Shaw

Thanks Don. It has been quite the Bonanza. Today was quite different as I was mostly surrounded by tourists and people enjoying the day instead of commuters.

DHart

Tesselator... great crispness on the stump and awesome bokeh. The Canon FDn 50/1.4 is one of my very favorite legacy lenses.

Tesselator

I can understand why! It's sharp, very light-weight, it seems very colorful, the aperture ring offers quarter stops, the focus ring is extremely smooth, close focusing to just a tad over a foot, and it seems to offer that pop thing that so many people like. And at $120 ~ $180 it's easily had too. :) Bokeh I dunno yet but if the S.S.C. version is about the same as I assume it would be, then it's generally pretty good for a fifty IMO.

DHart

Peter... nice! That image shows that the Voigtlander 25 isn't just about micro thin depth of focus and uber blur backgrounds... that's a really crisp, highly defined, deep focus scenic! Impressive.

turbines

I can understand why! It's sharp, very light-weight, it seems very colorful, the aperture ring offers quarter stops, the focus ring is extremely smooth, close focusing to just a tad over a foot, and it seems to offer that pop thing that so many people like. And at $120 ~ $180 it's easily had too. :) Bokeh I dunno yet but if the S.S.C. version is about the same as I assume it would be, then it's generally pretty good for a fifty IMO.
I love my FD BL version but if I can find a FDn at a good price I'll buy it just because it's so much lighter.

Paul

DHart

Jorgen, if you have the Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4, you won't need the Canon FDn 50/1.4. The Canon is lighter, of course, which can be nice, but they perform quite comparably with each other. The Planar has a very, very slightly noticible edge over the Canon @ 1.4, but by 1.8 to 2.0, I think they're comparable in sharpness. The Canon is a bit cooler in color rendition, but color quality is easy to tune in post. Yes, I have both. ;-)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, if you have the Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4, you won't need the Canon FDn 50/1.4. The Canon is lighter, of course, which can be nice, but they perform quite comparably with each other. The Planar has a very, very slightly noticible edge over the Canon @ 1.4, but by 1.8 to 2.0, I think they're comparable in sharpness. The Canon is a bit cooler in color rendition, but color quality is easy to tune in post. Yes, I have both. ;-)
I hear what you're saying. In addition, I have the OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 macro, which is rather hard to beat at that focal length. Here's an example from last Saturday, the Tattoo Festival at Wat Bang Phra west of Bangkok, where devotees "live their tattoos". Fascinating stuff, and rather scary at times :eek:

GH1 with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 macro

kds315

Well, something very different here, the Perigee Moon of March 19, shot using my GH2 in two images, one normal visual one (Castle), one the Moon in ultraviolet and overlaid.

D

Devon Shaw

Well, something very different here, the Perigee Moon of March 19, shot using my GH2 in two images, one normal visual one (Castle), one the Moon in ultraviolet and overlaid.

This is interesting. Were both images the same composition with just the filters changed, or is the moon cut from a separate shot?

I like the composition.

Devon