The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

M5-Guy

Panasonic G1
400mm at f/5.5 Tele Astranar (1950 West German made.. not the Japan versions!!)
ISO 800DeNoise5 NR applied.
Cropped a little.

M5-Guy

Re: G1 Noise

Nice images, but ...
This is why I've been waiting for something like the G3. I only hope that noise goes away at least up to 1600 ISO ...
Exactly:
I am waiting for the two "Semi-Pro" versions, a Panny L1 update, or the Oly E-P?... I am leaning towards the Oly Semi-Pro, which will have IBIS. A Big + with Big Birtha, and my Nikkor 135mm f/2.8 Q. I have to use at least ISO 600 to keep the shutter in the 1/250s range at least in most cases to keep camera/lens moment down. So, I will go most likely go with the higher grade Oly m4/3 this time around because of the IBIS.

On the G3, The noise really doesn't start until ISO 1600, from the full-size files I have seen.

I'll be selling my M5 and ZM 50mm f/1.5 to fund it. and get a cheaper RF with a 50/40 instead.

simonclivehughes

...which will have IBIS. A Big + with Big Birtha, and my Nikkor 135mm f/2.8 Q.
I think you're being too optimistic about the IBIS at that long focal length. The longer the lens the less effective the IBIS is. It is, however, better than none, especially with our shorter focal length MF lenses.

Cheers,

M5-Guy

I think you're being too optimistic about the IBIS at that long focal length. The longer the lens the less effective the IBIS is. It is, however, better than none, especially with our shorter focal length MF lenses.

Cheers,
If I gain a stop in ISO that's good, Yes, the 135mm should be better. and with 55mm micro Nikkor it will allow a lower ISO also at smaller f/stops in the f/11 - f/22 range for flower photography. So, it will have it's usefulness, depending on the lens used.

Tesselator

Ian, don't ya just love the greens this time of year? It's like God made May just for photographers. :)

Someone on another site told me my crops and framing suck. He's a skilled guy and not the average, "I know what it needs" type so I tried to follow his advice. Which was: "I would sacrifice the 100% crops for a smaller version that retains more dynamics of color and detail and choose my comps wisely to accentuate your birds. Remember to give the bird room to look in the direction is is looking ." mixed in with the obligatory praises. So I thought I'd post those here too and see if anyone here thinks they're better, same, or worse.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Those are still only about 60% scaled or something. To post the whole fame it would be about 25% scaling.

m3photo

Sound advice. I find the result more pleasing.
Try "Auto-Colour", you might be pleasantly surprised, especially on number two.

F

FStopIan

Ian, don't ya just love the greens this time of year? It's like God made May just for photographers. :)

Someone on another site told me my crops and framing suck. ....
green: I live in Japan where the greens become overwhelming this time of year. Only trade off is with green comes the rainy season. In each of the images it was a down pour. I need an extra hand for my umbrella. Has any one ever seen a tripod mount umbrella? i thought it would be a great idea. One more thing, does it make sense that heavy rain would make my images 'soft'. I don't feel any of those are crisp and trying to figure out if its me and new focus system, new glass or the rain.

crops: I would not use such harsh words but yes I agree that a looser frame suggesting some sort of scene is much better than the tight and center.

Hauxon

Went out last night to test out my new Olympus E-P1 and 14-42 kit-lens.

Berjadalsá stream. This was a difficult shot to process. The sky was almost burnt out and the lower part under exposed. I was able to push the lower part considerably (1 stop exposure and plenty of fill light in LR). Seems to me that the Olympus handles shadow detail better than my Canon cameras but one needs to beware of the highlights.

Mount Akrafjall. This image is shot with kit lens (14-42 @ 14mm & f/5.6). It's five vertical images stitched together using Autopano. The image is straight out of the camera except slight darkening of the sky I did in Photoshop after the stitch.

My camera for last few years has been the Canon 1Ds Mark II and Canon 5D classic. The E-P1 is of course not their equals but surprisingly close. If one watches out for the little less headroom in the highlights the E-P1 is perfectly capable camera. And the kit lens is not all bad even if build quality does not match my other lens (Pana 20/1.7).

Hrannar

Tesselator

green: I live in Japan where the greens become overwhelming this time of year. Only trade off is with green comes the rainy season. In each of the images it was a down pour. I need an extra hand for my umbrella. Has any one ever seen a tripod mount umbrella? i thought it would be a great idea. One more thing, does it make sense that heavy rain would make my images 'soft'. I don't feel any of those are crisp and trying to figure out if its me and new focus system, new glass or the rain.

crops: I would not use such harsh words but yes I agree that a looser frame suggesting some sort of scene is much better than the tight and center.
Me too. What city are you in? I'm in Nagoya. :)

PS: Yeah, atmospheric humidity does diffuse light and diffuse light makes for softer feeling images!

Tesselator

I love the build quality on this lens too! Great walk-around lens! And if (when damn-it!) I ever get a fullframe Nikon camera I'll have this guy all ready to go. :)