The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Tesselator

I just got back from a trip to the mountains where I had planned to try out a new telescope. I brought the 300/2.8L, the Telescope and a new-to-me Tamron SP 28-80/3.5 Macro (27A). This may well be the sharpest zoom I own now. Needless to say i ended up spending most of my time shooting with it. I know, I'm easily impressed. but man... :)

For example if I hadn't processed these myself and thus knew better, I'd totally think they were just sharpened/over-sharpened water shots and therefore kinda lame. Lameness may still be granted them but not for any processing.

28mm f/4

55mm f/4

80mm f/4 - which is wide open for 80mm on this lens (it nudges via zoom to f/4.2 I think).

Tesselator

Here's two taken with the same 27A lens but in macro-mode. I wasn't counting on doing any insect macros so this is only available light, near f/4.0, and at ISO 100:

That flower is approximately 1.5cm ~ 1.7cm so I guess this little guy is about 8mm ± 2mm, in body length.

Slightly OOF but I like the image OK. (I wonder what this thing is called - they sure were orange... )

These are about 60% crops BTW.

Tesselator

Hehe, I love how I'm the last three posters all alone. :p

What, is everyone hiding from the fallout or something? :D

Here's some more with the same lens taken on the same day. :) I think these are still all at f/4.0 - again unless the zoom was at 80mm where it nudges it over to 4.2.

The Sun came out for just long enough for this one. It almost felt like an intrusion. :)

DHart

Tess.... I assume these are from Japan... such beautiful geography, architecture, and images. Where in the country were these made?

m3photo

Re: Japan Mountains

I do this about thrice a month - weather permitting - but in different places of course.
Next time, keep going up to Nagano and ask for "Nikkoru". That would be the famous C.W. Nicol (Welsh author) who's more Japanese than anything now. He's a conservationist (among many other things) and has a wonderful spread of woodland up there - a semi-private National Park of sorts. I've never been there but know him from a past life ...

Tesselator

Re: Japan Mountains

Next time, keep going up to Nagano and ask for "Nikkoru". That would be the famous C.W. Nicol (Welsh author) who's more Japanese than anything now. He's a conservationist (among many other things) and has a wonderful spread of woodland up there - a semi-private National Park of sorts. I've never been there but know him from a past life ...
Yeah, I know Clive. He drank my arse under the table more than a few times. He did some shite back in the day. These days (if he's still alive) it's mostly emptying bottles me thinks. At least that's how I left him... I heard he had the royals out for a visit to the pond a few years ago... :watch:

Awesome flash diffusion photoSmart42!!! GJ! :thumbs:

m3photo

Re: Clive

Yeah, I know Clive. He drank my arse under the table more than a few times. He did some shite back in the day. These days (if he's still alive) it's mostly emptying bottles me thinks. At least that's how I left him... I heard he had the royals out for a visit to the pond a few years ago...
Yep. Say no more then ... :)

Tesselator

I hope that didn't sound put-down-ish tho. It wasn't intended to sound so. He's not causing any harm to anyone, he's a good guy!

F

FStopIan

hi, tesselator, I cant seem to see your images... are they still online?

also I have not heard 'nikkoru', any more details on that? I live in Nagano.

Tesselator

Yeah, they're still there. My server does a maintenance and back-up occasionally and goes of-line for that. It's usually over in less than 5 or 10 minutes tho.

Nikkoru is just the that Japanese pronunciation for Clive's last name Nicol. I bet you know of him tho. He's been on TV a bunch (which is actually how we met - on a show) and I think he even had a line of NewBalance hiking boots named after him.

Here he is in his sunday Best about 8 or 10 years ago:

If you're in Nagoya you should check in here:
http://club.japanphotos.jp/index.php which until a month or so ago was called "Nagoya Photography Club" ;) Or let's meet up for a day shoot. It's always fun to meet new folks! :)

Just to keep it fun here's a 90% crop (same camera, same lens) of a little froggy I caught up in the mountains and released in a local park after not being able to figure out how to set up a shot on my macro table. This guy's got jump skills and a half! :)

This is wide open at the widest end of the macro (about 30mm) from about 1.5 feet away. The frog is small enough to easily fit through the mouth of a coke bottle - which was his transport container and home for two days.

Tesselator

I like the purple one. Because it's purple - of course. :)

Here's some Panoramas:

Click For Larger!

Click For Larger!

!-Enjoy