The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Last Friday, I was the last person over the border to Cambodia at Poipet, 19.59 hrs. before it closed a minute later. So the taxis had all gone home. But there was this guy who had an uncle with a Camry (which is the definition of "Taxi" in that part of Cambodia anyway), and he might be willing to take me the 250 kilometers to Siem Reap.

Half an hour later, an automobile that resembled a Camry in many ways, but with interesting sounds that are probably not on Toyota's list of extra features, arrived. After a brief discussions between the somewhat ageing driver and some friends, enemies and bystanders, we left off into the dark (there are no road lights in Cambodia). It soon became apparent that he had little gas, no money and a somewhat failing eyesight. So we stopped by a shack at the edge of the road and got the owner out of the whisky bottle and his wife out of the bed. Gas time, not petrol, but the real, fluffy stuff.

This is the way it is done:
The gas cylinder is turned upside down and placed on a scale. Then it's connected to some strange, rotating mechanism and from there to the gas tank in the trunk of the car. The volume is checked by watching the scale.

The first attempt failed miserably and resulted in a big cloud of the substance disappearing into the landscape, luckily after the guy had gotten rid of his cigarette. The second bottle worked better, and after some advance payment to the driver so that he could pay for the smelly stuff, we continued our journey towards the east, firmly placed on the yellow line in the middle of the road.

For those with less interest in rural gas stations in Cambodia and guessing competitions about which side of your car meeting vehicles will pass on, there is an international airport in Siem Reap. But Bangkok Airways, the Boutique Airline of Asia, which for some strange reason has acquired a monopoly on the route to Bangkok and charges monopoly prices, don't accept Monopoly monies :(

GH1 with Sigma 50mm f/1.4 @ ISO3200 and f/1.4

kweide

Always On
Just a fun shoot

Olympus E-P3 + Zuiko 12 mm, noNR
ISO200 @ f2, 1/30 second, 12 mm focal length​

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Justin.

Here's another one, Angkor Wat this time. They do keep that place clean. I could need one of those cleaners around here...

L1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm and f/5.6

Terry

I went birding for the weekend. No, I don't normally do birds. After Kenya I sold my GH2 and decided to stick with a G3. I can now say if you are going to shoot wildlife and birds with m4/3 do yourself a favor and use a GH2. G3 is great for all around but the ergonomics and button placement make the GH2 seem better for some of the settings changes that I needed to make really quickly.

A sampling.....

Terry

In Khmer Country again, Siem Reap this time. This young lady sold me a tiny brass elephant for two dollars and a portrait. I walked through all of Angkor Wat today also, starting at 05.00 hrs., and it was a great experience, but if I could live the day again and had to choose, I would go for the elephant... and the portrait :)
I missed this when you posted it. Stunning portrait!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Terry.

When wandering around among thousands of tourists, it's easy too forget that the temples in the Angkor area are still very much places of religious significance.

L1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 14mm and f/2.8

f6cvalkyrie

I went birding for the weekend.
A sampling.....

This is my favorite of your series, Terry !

Me too, I went birding a few weeks ago, in France, where the common cranes gather to fly to Spain and Morocco for the winter.

I shot more than 600 shots, some in real difficult light (very early morning and very late evening), with the GH2 and iso going all the way to 3200;

Here's a few samples :

Most shots with the GH2 and a Nikkor 300/2.8 IF-ED and a TC 300 doubler

A series of 52 pics can be seen here :

http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/lesphotosdeLHN/LHN au Lac du Der 2011/?start=all

Have fun,
Rafael

kweide

It is fur she loves ....
Diamonds are welcome too. Lensbaby can be great.

Olympus E-5, no Zuiko, noNR
ISO200, 1/30 second, one single hotshoe flash bounced to my left, over my shoulder into a white reflector.​