The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

biglouis

These files are looking good, Louis.
How's the GX8 ?

Kind regards.
The headlines would be: +ve handling, which great, -ve too noisy above iso 1600.

It is capable of some very good results - this is iso400, 12mm f8 1/50. I've photographed this cherub a few times with my Sony A7 series and my Sigma DP3M but this is the best and most natural shading I have achieved so far (also with the 12-35mm). It also demonstrates the OIS and IBIS maintains sharpness at lower speeds.

100% crop

biglouis

Thanks Louis. Frankly, I very much doubt if any current m43 camera is any good above 1600.
How do you like that hinged LCD ?

Kind regards.
I don't want to appear too effusive after only a few days use but the GX-8 is a very satisfying camera to use. You can see how the tie-in with Leica has worked in both directions. I'll write a review when I have more time.

The hinged LCD is still the best design, imho. But it still looks very 'consumer' which is why I don't think Sony or other makers will ever go for it on high end cameras. The touch screen is very useful. I have it on my Leica Q but somehow it is easier to understand use on the GX-8. The clarity of the LCD display and the viewfinder are excellent - easily as good as my A7S and Leica Q.

This is a very nice camera at a good price. They will never be able to fix this high iso noise because of the sensor size but it seems a shame they did not offer it without an AA filter (or perhaps a variable one which will probably be the norm from now on).

LouisB

biglouis

A couple more from a visit to the newly opened 'gas collector' park in the King's Cross redevelopment next to the Regent's Canal in London. The collector in question formed the iconic industrial landscape of King's Cross and it was decided to take them apart and then re-erect them on the tow path - one as a park and the other two as exoskeletons for circular apartment buildings.

If anything the sun was too strong yesterday which made photography difficult.

"Industry" - the collector, the Regent's Canal and a train on the revitalised 'Midland Railway' tracks into St Pancras.

"Inside the Collector" - in the background on the railway tracks is Eurostar train on its way to St Pancras.

biglouis

Still having fun roaming around with the GX-8 and 12-35.

There was an open day at the Kentish Town lock on the Regent's Canal in London today to let the public see the drained lock and the new gates which have been installed. An usual opportunity to get right down into a Victorian/Edwardian lock construction.

Mostly, I shot with the zoom wide open at 12mm

No problem brings your dogs along, as well!

A good example of the 35mm end of the lens which seems very sharp.

Looking back as I was leaving to the road over the canal and a well placed new Routemaster bus.

As you can see from the photographs, sadly this area of the canal seems to invite retards with spray cans to express themselves, which is a real shame. The work has been incredibly disruptive to the drug gangs who deal on this spot, as well. Just in case you are visiting London, give Camden Lock a miss!

scho

Thinking about getting back into m43 again so took the GF1+20/1.7 (all I had left in my kit after selling all of my Oly gear last year) out for a walk along Fall Creek up to Ithaca falls to see how it felt shooting m43 after a long absence.

Along the way were several signs left by EPA after their last attempt at cleaning up lead contaminated soil in the area.

The following images were all obtained from 6 shot bursts processed in PhotoAcute 3 for increased resolution.

I enjoyed the walk and I'm ready to look at another m43 kit - probably the new Pen-F.

biglouis

Lovely stuff, Carl. The 20/1.7 is an extraordinary lens. When I first used mine (also on a GF-1) and compared it to my M8 with a 35/2 pre-asph I was a bit shocked. Not a lot of difference, imho. Well, except for about nine hundred pounds sterling at the time. The GF-1 is also a much underrated camera. I won a national photography competition using mine with a 45/2.8.

I too am rediscovering m43rds and it has now cost me more than I expected. I tried out the Olympus 7-14/2.8 Pro today, fell for it and bought it.

My Pana 7-14 never impressed me at the 7mm end (on a GH-2). This Oly lens does. I was distinctly unimpressed by the Sony Zeiss 16-35 on my A7R when I tried it and disappointed that I couldn't therefore have a wide angle zoom for my Sony system. Very bleary, smeary edges.

The Oly 7-14 is nowhere near either of these two lenses and in fact for all intents and purposes is sharp to the edge at f8. My only other observation is that straight out of the camera (a GX-8) the RAW images are pretty usable. Only minor tweaks needed. If anything the lens draws colour too well and the red and blues are bit exaggerated - nothing that can't be fixed in post.

7mm and pretty much straight out of the camera. I did have to removed a smidgen of purple fringing but nothing too gross. The red of the bus is to my eye, spot on. Not something I have found with my Sony or even Leica Q.

14mm but with some relief of shadows

7mm and with the colour saturation moved down a tad. I also straightened the verticals a tad.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Louis,

these images from the 2.8 /7-14 look excellent.

I rediscovered m43 as well again, was almost on the leaving edge, but I am sold again. I might buy this lens in order to complete my 12-40 and 40-150 lineup for my EM1.

I also tried the PenF at a local promotion event in Vienna - and I was impressed. Key differences (advantages) to the EM1:

1) camera is nice to hold even without a grip
2) EVF has same res as in EM1, but is a totally different OLED display (versus LCD or whatever in EM1), which results in complete loss of the green cast of the EM1 EVF, giving perfect colors
3) color simulation mode dial is superb - I never thought I would fall in love with as I am primarily a RAW shooter, but this is just stunning and fun o use, especially the MONO modes
4) camera is VERY fast and SILENT !!!!
5) sensor has the 20MP, which is great, BUT in combination with improved high ISO and DR
6) the PenF is just a gorgeous camera, sexy if you allow me that comparison!
7) of course nice to hold with some of the primes (tried it with the 1.8/17 - a lens I love) but also feels well in my hands with the new Pro 4/300 mounted, I was blown away (BTW this lens is another BEAST)

All this convinced me to keep staying further in the m43 (OLY) land and keep having fun while getting great results!

Last edited:

biglouis

Louis,

these images from the 2.8 /7-14 look excellent.

I rediscovered m43 as well again, was almost on the leaving edge, but I am sold again. I might buy this lens in order to complete my 12-40 and 40-150 lineup for my EM1.

I also tried the PenF at a local promotion event in Vienna - and I was impressed. Key differences (advantages) to the EM1:

1) camera is nice to hold even without a grip
2) EVF has same res as in EM1, but is a totally different OLED display (versus LCD or whatever in EM1), which results in complete loss of the green cast of the EM1 EVF, giving perfect colors
3) color simulation mode dial is superb - I never thought I would fall in love with as I am primarily a RAW shooter, but this is just stunning and fun o use, especially the MONO modes
4) camera is VERY fast and SILENT !!!!
5) sensor has the 20MP, which is great, BUT in combination with improved high ISO and DR
6) the PenF is just a gorgeous camera, sexy if you allow me that comparison!
7) of course nice to hold with some of the primes (tried it with the 1.8/17 - a lens I love) but also feels well in my hands with the new Pro 4/300 mounted, I was blown away (BTW this lens is another BEAST)

All this convinced me to keep staying further in the m43 (OLY) land and keep haven fun while getting great results!
Talking of beasts the Oly 7-14 is not a small lens. However, for once I actually feel size is justified and the features of the lens, including the 'push-pull' focus (which operates the magnifying window on my GX8 with no problem) are excellent. I actually think you get what you pay for.

LouisB

Annna T

I must say that since I got an A7r, then A7r2, my E-M5s aren't getting a lot of use, with the exception of August where I had to send the A7r to the support services to repair a broken shutter. The rest of the time, I used it mostly to get more reach with the 40-150mm plus 1.4 extender.

But here are two shots I took from my window as I had just received that lens :

E-M5 and 40-150mm

Demolition works - click to enlarge - _20150504_100i
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Demolition works - click to enlarge - 20150504_096i
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

biglouis

^^^ That is very sharp indeed ^^^

That is what I was expecting from the FE 70-200/4 but instead I got mush. Very impressive.

LouisB

scho

Lovely stuff, Carl. The 20/1.7 is an extraordinary lens. When I first used mine (also on a GF-1) and compared it to my M8 with a 35/2 pre-asph I was a bit shocked. Not a lot of difference, imho. Well, except for about nine hundred pounds sterling at the time. The GF-1 is also a much underrated camera. I won a national photography competition using mine with a 45/2.8.

I too am rediscovering m43rds and it has now cost me more than I expected. I tried out the Olympus 7-14/2.8 Pro today, fell for it and bought it.

My Pana 7-14 never impressed me at the 7mm end (on a GH-2). This Oly lens does. I was distinctly unimpressed by the Sony Zeiss 16-35 on my A7R when I tried it and disappointed that I couldn't therefore have a wide angle zoom for my Sony system. Very bleary, smeary edges.

The Oly 7-14 is nowhere near either of these two lenses and in fact for all intents and purposes is sharp to the edge at f8. My only other observation is that straight out of the camera (a GX-8) the RAW images are pretty usable. Only minor tweaks needed. If anything the lens draws colour too well and the red and blues are bit exaggerated - nothing that can't be fixed in post.
[/IMG]
Thanks Louis. I know what you mean about the cost of re-discovery and have learned a lesson not to sell off really good glass when switching systems. Bodies can come and go but good lenses should remain on the shelf as it is almost certain that I will some day migrate back and want the same great lenses again.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I must say that since I got an A7r, then A7r2, my E-M5s aren't getting a lot of use, with the exception of August where I had to send the A7r to the support services to repair a broken shutter. The rest of the time, I used it mostly to get more reach with the 40-150mm plus 1.4 extender.

But here are two shots I took from my window as I had just received that lens :

E-M5 and 40-150mm
The 40-150 is indeed another beast in sharpness and IQ. Love this lens and weight is really something to forget about considering that we are dealing with an effective 2.8/300. And the TC makes it ideal for wildlife zoom, getting a 4/112-420, with no noticeable degradation in IQ.

The 4/300 is even better to handle as the max diameter is smaller and it is lighter overall. Plus IQ should even top the 40-150, which I have no doubt at all. I am tempted to get this lens as well.