The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

dhsimmonds

An example of the Oly Pro 7-14 lens at the wide end. This is my local country church which held it's millennium in 1985! The effigy and tomb commemorates the Knight of the realm who was the chief verderer for the vast New Forest area, which was then a Royal hunting forest way back before King John. My back was against the outer walls of the Chancel walls behind the altar to ensure that I could get everything in shot.

This church has only one of two all wooden bell towers in England,the other being in Middlesex. The village was too poor to fund a stone tower so when the Archbishop of that time decreed that all country churches must have a bell tower to call agricultural workers to church on Sundays! As the village was then in the New Forest there was a ready supply of timber and despite the ravages of beetles and time recent surveys have determined that the church is good for another thousand years! The scene of much history including the adjacent field where local English bowmen were given their pep talk before the Battle of Agincourt and more recently during the second world war where the very same field was used for the very same reason, this time including locally billeted American and Canadian soldiers just before the invasion of France. A strange thing history! The threshold stone slab to the doorway of the bell tower was taken from the previous pagan building used for exactly the same purpose! Some folks with a wry sense of humour must have permitted that! It has been known for centuries too.

Attachments

mediumcool

I am beginning to agree. I've decided to put my fe 90/2.8 up for sale and only use the GX8+45/2.8 for macro work.

… I had the choice of getting the Loxia 21mm for my A7 series cameras or getting the Oly 7-14 for architectural work (I am working on a book which requires quite a lot of photographs of buildings in tight urban settings) and in the end went for the Oly. The target publication is only A5+ so the m43rds photos will be more than enough in terms of IQ.

LouisB
The only downside is the client and/or designer who wants or needs to crop to fit a layout—16mp doesn’t offer a great deal of flexibility here—the a7 will give me some wiggle room. I have been both a print designer and a photographer, and appreciate both sides of the story. I bought a 17mm Tokina and a 35mm Olympus Shift for the a7, and will get a 24mm Olympus Shift when I can afford one. The 35mm is excellent, but the jury’s still out on the Tokina—ferocious field curvature I think, but I still haven’t done a lot with it. Cropping in a bit should give me a 21-ish field of view with better corners!

Having said all that, many of the pictures I have made recently of a house for use in an architectural competition entry were shot [hand-held!] with my E-M5, and stand up quite well compared to the Mamiya/Aptus 22 shots, all on a tripod.

mediumcool

Louis
The Olympus 7-14 Pro is a really good choice for architectural stuff and interiors.
And an obvious advantage of the smaller format is great DOF. Many of my recent house photographs were made with the Olympus E-M5 at f/5 (11–22) and f/5.6 (9–18); the Mamiya/Aptus with 50mm shift and 35mm lenses had to be used at f/11 or smaller. Viewable here.

bensonga

Louis, Bart and Bifi25....excellent colors and detail in these recent images of the flowers and cats! :thumbs:

After looking at so many excellent images here, I started looking back at my own GH2/G1 images from a few years ago. When I put a hold on the Sigma Quattro purchase (for now) I decided to pick up a GX-8 and a few lenses instead. So far I have the Pana 12-35/2.8 (one of my favorites from years ago), 20/1.7 II, 42.5/1.7 and Oly 60 macro. I haven't taken very many shots with the GX-8 yet, certainly none that even approach the quality I'm seeing here, but hopefully I'll get there. Here's a B&W conversion. This was shot with the Sigma 30/2.8 which I had briefly. It's a nice lens, but the rattling loose focusing element when the lens was not powered on just bugged me too much. I guess many of the lenses do that, but it was more noticeable on the Sigma.

This image doesn't have the same fine detail as similar shots I have taken with a D800e and 105mm Micro-Nikkor or Sigma DP3M, but I wasn't really expecting to match those cameras/lenses.

Gary

biglouis

The more I play with the GX8 the more I want to shoot with it. I just don't feel the same way about my Sony bodies which have always felt like necessary tools.

I am really impressed with the Pana Vario 12-35 the more I use it. It is tack sharp both at the wide and long end (not the case with my Zeiss 24-70/4). And I think it really has a draw like a Leica lens.

At the pixel level I don't find that much difference between the A7R and the GX8. Of course, you can crop further with 36mpx but the actual pixels are to me not as crisp as with the GX8. I did some testing and posted it in this thread somewhere which shows this.

I think I am going to divest of my Sony kit and on the way add the 35-100 to my arsenal. I went out shooting today with the Oly 7-14 and the 12-35 and I was very happy with the results. Especially in terms of weight. I could easily add a 35-100 and have a very comprehensive shooting kit in relatively low weight, which for my urban hiking is a big bonus.

This is from the 12-35 today. I couldn't be happier with the result. This is a famous road in the East End of London called Cable Street. I like the way the sensor and lens together has allowed me to show the delicate spring light.

bensonga

On Government Hill, overlooking Ship Creek and downtown Anchorage, there are still a few remnants of "old Anchorage", by that I mean buildings that pre-date the 1970s oil boom and the building of the Trans Alaska Pipeline. Hard to know if this particular building pre-dated the 1964 Good Friday earthquake (magnitude 9.2).

Gary

GX-8 and 20mm f1.7 II lens

bensonga

One more from Government Hill today. This large Alascom facility is literally a few steps away from the old quonset hut.

Gary

GX-8, 20mm f1.7 II lens, converted to B&W with Topaz

bensonga

There are days when some of us just need to let the crazy (creative?) side of our brains cut loose...I guess today was one of those days for me. :loco:

Still rooted in reality....somewhat.

I will probably look back at this later and wonder what the heck was I thinking? Oh well. It is what it is.

Gary

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Bart,

this lens seems to have excellent OIS, when you can achieve these results on the EM1 - without any Dual IS from Olympus or Panasonic ....

Great!

k-hawinkler

Congratulations Bart on your new lens. Great shot, beautiful colors.

From the Exif I see that you used ISO 800 and Capture One 9 Macintosh.
In cases like that I always add use of Define 2 from Nik to smooth away the noise.
At the moment Nik is available for free from Goggle.
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

I am looking forward to more of your images with this lens. TIA.