The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

dhsimmonds

Vacancy

Olympus E-M5 Zuiko 14–54mm f/2.8–3.5 at 14mm 1/1250 f/6.3 ISO 1250

A cropped version in mono.
Very English architecture although most English bungalows have either been demolished to make way for two storey homes or at least have their roof space converted to provide extra accommodation. Both the style and the name were borrowed from India. I believe that this type pf accommodation was much favoured by English ten bob(shilling) Poms after the second world war. I know that my sister and her family were eventually housed in a similar bungalow as ten bob Poms in the early sixties!

mediumcool

Very English architecture although most English bungalows have either been demolished to make way for two storey homes or at least have their roof space converted to provide extra accommodation. Both the style and the name were borrowed from India. I believe that this type pf accommodation was much favoured by English ten bob(shilling) Poms after the second world war. I know that my sister and her family were eventually housed in a similar bungalow as ten bob Poms in the early sixties!
I wonder if this was public housing stock from the late-’50s or early ’60s; we had a wonderful public housing authority called the South Australian Housing Trust (an Australian first, established in 1936 by a conservative state government), and now but a mere shadow of its 1930s-and-later self; a Labor government saw fit to rename it Housing SA a decade ago (so corporate), but so fitting because of the removal of“Trust” from its moniker.

I live in a HSA red-brick maisonette aka semi originally built for the “Pom Invasion” in the ’50s or ’60s, and which is several kilometres closer to Adelaide city. We are still relatively Anglophilic—did you know that the turnout for the Beatles’ 1964 arrival in SA was their biggest ever? One-third of the state’s population was estimated to have turned out as 300,000 people lined the streets from the airport to North Terrace and the South Australian Hotel, long since demolished.

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Pound_Poms

Last edited:

dhsimmonds

My sister and her family entered Oz via Sydney having travelled there on the SS Canberra. She died some years ago, but we still have two nephews in Oz, one in Brisbane and a very successful businessman, the other in Tasmania and he is now a huge lumberjack! My wife and I came over to do a six week tour of Australia via mainly Quantas some years ago and we enjoyed visiting both of them. We also thoroughly enjoyed Australia, it is a great country and very photogenic! The boys sometimes visit us whenever they travel to the UK.
I guessed that your bungalow images were taken in Adelaide...........the colour of the grass in the second image gave me the clue! Adelaide is more english than England!

mediumcool

… the colour of the grass in the second image gave me the clue! Adelaide is more english than England!
Well it used to be the most Brit state (no convicts, dontcha know!). We were once the ‘poshest’ state in pronunciation (thirty years ago perhaps); I was upbraided by a lady friend from NSW when I made fun of her accent—“Well at least we don’t talk like a bunch o’ pommy poofters” she snapped. TV, movies and other media ensure that most young South Australians now exhibit a bit of Valley Girl, amongst other influences. Words like ‘dance’ are more likely to be pronounced with a much shorter A (almost an E sound—‘dence?’) rather than the elongated ‘dahnce’ of yesteryear (I still talk like this), and the uninflected ‘here’ of yore is now mostly ‘heeyah’. I even saw ‘here’ written on a railway station wall as ‘heah’, but that was at Salisbury, rubbish demographically … ;)

The location of the house and its very green grass is on Marion Road at South Plympton.

dhsimmonds

The location of the house and its very green grass is on Marion Road at South Plympton.
Even Plympton in itself had English roots as the original Plympton is on the outskirts of Plymouth in Devon, England! I made a brief visit to Adelaide on the way to Kangaroo Island during my Oz tour. I really liked Kangaroo Island by the way! the Sea Lions and Koala's were my favourites and the scenery just magnificent!

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to look noble ...
A great image Bart, which lens? Oh and by the way he is succeeding!:thumbup:

scho

Early spring and the only green stuff around is the skunk cabbage in the swampy areas along the creeks. E-M5II+40-150 Pro.