The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I wonder what the promotion prospects for drummer boys would have been like—as with flag carriers, they would have been targeted early on in any battle. And as Stephen Wright once said, “How can any war be civil?”

Lovely light in these …
Thank you, mediumcool. (Thank you, BigLouis, too.)

According to an article that I read in the Washington Post, the youngest drummer boy tried to enlist when he was 9. The official minimum age was 18, but younger boys would say that they were 18. Johnny Clem ran away from his home in Ohio and wanted to join the Union Army. He was refused (even though there were many boys of 11 and 12). He refused to go home so a unit from Michigan made him their mascot and drummer boy. They had a uniform made to fit him. By age 11 he was officially in as a soldier. He went on to have a long military career, retiring as a brigadier general in 1915.

Drummer boys were important in the Civil War. There was a lot of noise on the battlefield and commands could not be heard. They tapped out the codes for the different commands. They also carried wounded from the field on stretchers.

fotografz

Wow Cindy, those Civil War photos are spectacular!

Where was the enactment battle? Local in Wisconsin, or elsewhere? Where they reenacting an actual battle?

What do you do with the shots ... I'd bet they normally don't get stuff this good?

- Marc

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Wow Cindy, those Civil War photos are spectacular!

Where was the enactment battle? Local in Wisconsin, or elsewhere? Where they reenacting an actual battle?

What do you do with the shots ... I'd bet they normally don't get stuff this good?

- Marc
Thank you, Marc! The battle is on the grounds of Wade House in Greenbush, Wisconsin (History of Wade House - Wade House). Wade House was a mid 1800's stagecoach stop on the road between Fond du Lac and the port at Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I believe this was the 26th year for the re-enactment.
I always go. I don't do anything with the photos except share online. I enjoy trying to make them realistic!

BTW, this year they were re-enacting the October, 1862 battle of Corinth, Mississippi. They always have a really good narrator who gives lots of background info and explains as the battle progresses.

biglouis

Super or "Hunter's" Moon, over Camden Town, England - with cranes - October 16th, 2016. From what I've read this is the closest the moon will be to earth until 2034.

I've also written a blog entry about taking this photograph at my web site.

Panasonic GX8, G Vario 35-100/2.8.

PS I guess the Dual IS must be working because I just noticed with that the EXIF states 1/8 second exposure and it was handheld. It isn't tack sharp but it isn't blurred either.

Last edited:

Knorp

Super or "Hunter's" Moon, over Camden Town, England - with cranes - October 16th, 2016. From what I've read this is the closest the moon will be to earth until 2034.
Thanks, Louis. If we're still around then, what will we be using in 2034 ?

All the best.

pegelli

practicing 'keystone compensation': do we still need a t/s lens ?
Nice effort, I do this a lot as well, sometimes I use Lightroom, sometimes Capture 1 pro. Each have their strength in certain situations.
One day I'll buy a T/S lens just to tinker with it, but until then the software correction works well for me.

With regard to the picture you posted two small comments:
- right side is vertical, left still slightly leans
- make sure you frame wide enough so you don't crop into the building, I find that the left/top missing is distracting.

Here's one of my Lightroom examples (APS-C and not 4/3rd, hope that's allowed here)
I find a building still lightly leaning usually a more pleasant picture to look at than perfectly corrected with all verticals absolutely straight up at 90 degrees.

mediumcool

One day I'll buy a T/S lens … but until then the software correction works well for me.
I recently sold a Mamiya 50mm shift as I found I could do convincing moderate ‘shifts’ in C1, even with m43. But I do have an Olympus 35mm shift lens adapted to my Sony a7.

Comparison of no correction and correction in C1 (the lens is the tiny and geometrically-challenged Lumix 12–32, uncorrectable without a profile at 12mm)

… frame wide enough so you don't crop into the building …
This is crucial—it’s so easy to lose the top! Space above is important, so a loose shoot is very much the go.

I find a building still lightly leaning usually a more pleasant picture to look at than perfectly corrected with all verticals absolutely straight up at 90 degrees.
Agreed. Part of getting this right, though, is fixing lens distortion first—if uncorrected, bits of a building can appear to be going in different directions all at once.

I would like to say in summary—“you get the cigar”! ;)

Knorp

Any Aspect adjustment?
Ah! Good point, Ian. Nope, I only did the verticals, poorly so it seems ... :eek:
But I realise I should have pointed out that it's about the EM1's in-camera keystone correction, so not by software.
Not sure I can do aspect correction at the same time btw.
Anyway, that'll have to wait till next time.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Nice effort, I do this a lot as well, sometimes I use Lightroom, sometimes Capture 1 pro. Each have their strength in certain situations.
One day I'll buy a T/S lens just to tinker with it, but until then the software correction works well for me.
Thanks, Pieter :)

With regard to the picture you posted two small comments:
- right side is vertical, left still slightly leans
- make sure you frame wide enough so you don't crop into the building, I find that the left/top missing is distracting.
As I mentioned in my reply to Ian, it's in-camera correction and all handheld and sooc JPEGs.
Sorry about the missing top. I've got better samples ... :eek:

Here's one of my Lightroom examples (APS-C and not 4/3rd, hope that's allowed here)
Absolutely right and I can't agree more !

Thanks again and kind regards.

pegelli

As I mentioned in my reply to Ian, it's in-camera correction and all handheld and sooc JPEGs.
Sorry about the missing top. I've got better samples ... :eek:
I never knew you could do that in-camera with jpg's. Is that an Olympus exclusive?
I guess I would not use such a feature a lot since I shoot raw almost exclusively but I can see it being a handy feature for people who don't like to spend a lot of time at the computer PP-ing their pictures.

mediumcool

I never knew you could do that in-camera with jpg's. Is that an Olympus exclusive?
I guess I would not use such a feature a lot since I shoot raw almost exclusively but I can see it being a handy feature for people who don't like to spend a lot of time at the computer PP-ing their pictures.
JPEG? Wassat? 😀