The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In some countries, it's hard to avoid people volunteering for a portrait. The Philippines is such a country. This guy was selling seafood at a market in Manila.

GX8 with Pana 35-100mm f/2.8 @ 100mm and f/2.8

bensonga

I noticed a very bright light in the sky last night and assumed it was planet. Some googling later I identified it as Venus which is apparently at its brightest at the moment.
Louis,

Venus, the Evening Star, has indeed put on a spectacular show in the past few months. It will soon transition to Venus, the Morning Star.

Venus Is About to Leave the Evening Sky: Here's What to Know

Coincidentally, the first object that we saw last week through the big 40 inch StarStructure Dobsonian telescope I mentioned in an earlier post was Venus. Here is a photo of my friend Bob, who donated this telescope to the TAAA club. He was catching "first light" thru the scope with a beautiful view of Venus, just as the sun was setting.

As for MFT content....I took my GX8 there to document the assembly and commissioning of the scope. It is hard to appreciate just how big this telescope is, but it is one of the few scopes I've seen on which this 3.2 lb Rodenstock 40mm BW-Optik eyepiece did not look too big and out of place.

Gary

biglouis

Gary, that is one serious piece of optical equipment. It took me a few minutes to work out I was looking at the flat and that the mirror was way beyond the bottom of the photograph. A magnificent beast. I assume you still cannot resolve any detail on Venus, though - or is that not the case?

Very cool stuff!

LouisB

bensonga

Gary, that is one serious piece of optical equipment. It took me a few minutes to work out I was looking at the flat and that the mirror was way beyond the bottom of the photograph. A magnificent beast. I assume you still cannot resolve any detail on Venus, though - or is that not the case?

Very cool stuff!

LouisB
Venus was much too bright to see any surface details, but we did have some nice views of Jupiter that night. A scope like this really excels on deep sky objects, such as galaxies, nebulas and star clusters. Although seeing conditions were not optimal on the nights we were there, the views of the Orion nebula, the Whirlpool Galaxy etc were nonetheless some of the best I've seen. The biggest telescope I had used before this was a 30 inch Dob.

The mirror at the top is a 7.5 inch secondary. Here is a photo of the 40 inch primary mirror (made by Lockwood Custom Optics from a type of glass made in the USA for scientific and defense purposes which is generally not available to the public) and of the StarStructure telescope itself. I am looking forward to going back in May for the official dedication and TAAA star party.

Gary

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've had a cold or something all week, so I can't swim with the children, but I can take photos :)

GX8 with Pana 35-100mm f/2.8 @ 35mm and f/4, cropped

rayyan

So sad to hear this news Jorgen. May he rest in peace. And may you all have the strength to bear this loss. ( Belatedly, but no less heart felt ).

Your friend.

My father passed away last Monday at the age of 91. Although he had been physically handicapped all his life and had spent the last 10 years in a wheelchair, he was mentally very strong until the last week. The evening before he died, he stated very clearly that enough was enough and that he would like to leave, which he did the following morning without drama of any kind.

There were traditional Buddhist funeral rites for three days that culminated with the cremation yesterday, and the spreading of his ashes on the Bay of Siam according to his own wishes early this morning. A great journey has come to an end.

The photo is from the ceremony this morning, my brother to the left, then my father's wife and her family.

GX8 with Pana 12-35mm f/2.8 @ 20mm and f/5