The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

biglouis

It's a dirty job but some photographer has to do it... the magnificent Edwardian men's toilets at Southend Green, near Hampstead Heath in London. The materials reflect a more affluent age for public services, mahoganay (or teak?), porcelein and fine tiles. GX8+OlyPro7-14, HDR merge of 3 frames in LR6.

Maggie O

Dangerous move, Maggie. I bought a GX8 to 'tide me over' and ended up selling pretty much all my kit and converting to m43rds :)

Great guitar pic!

LouisB
Thanks! The more I play JB, the more I love him.

I dunno, I love shooting Leicas so much, I reckon I might wind up with a 50/50 split. :D

biglouis

^^^ Bart, you are going to have to give us your honest appraisal of the Oly 300/4, especially compared to the 100-400 - great detail, terrific photographs! ^^^

biglouis

Taken from a hide at Rye Meads RSPB reserve just outside London, in the Lea Valley. Not only the first ever Kingfisher I have ever seen 'live' but also my first ever photographs of one.
GX8, Lumix 100-400

ptomsu

Workshop Member
^^^ Bart, you are going to have to give us your honest appraisal of the Oly 300/4, especially compared to the 100-400 - great detail, terrific photographs! ^^^
I fully agree ....

waiting for your conclusions Bart :D

Although I think to know already :cool:

Knorp

Taken from a hide at Rye Meads RSPB reserve just outside London, in the Lea Valley. Not only the first ever Kingfisher I have ever seen 'live' but also my first ever photographs of one.
GX8, Lumix 100-400
Congratulations with this great opportunity and fine catch, Louis.
I've never been that close to a kingfisher with a camera.
Way back, when I was on a holiday in Birnham near Dunkeld, I had a kingfisher landing and sitting on my fly fishing rod while I was actually fishing !
Anyway, great shots - you must be over the moon, I guess :thumbs:

Kind regards.

Knorp

Well, much have been said already in this thread: PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3
The PL100-400 is excellent up till 300mm (f5.6), with 200mm being its sweet spot, but after 300mm it goes downhill.
At shorter distances, a couple of meters, it will do fine at 400mm, but at longer distances 10 to 12 meters and even on a tripod, I found my copy's resolution absolutely poor.
Hope you got a better copy.

The PL100-400 is an absolute delight as a walk around lens - versatile, light and compact, but not so the OLY300 which is rather large and heavy.
Now, which one I like best ? I guess I like them both, but I prefer the OLY's image excellence.

All the best.

First graph: PL100-400, second graph: OLY300

Attachments

biglouis

I went down to a local camera shop today to audition a Canon 7Dm2 and 400/5.6.

Actually, from a weight perspective not an unwielding combination and definitely handholdable. Gives an effective focal length of 640mm with the 1.6x crop factor of the 7Dm2.

My only issue with the combination was the viewfinder. I kept on wondering why (a) it appeared to me to be so small and dim, and (b) it was a bit unresponsive. Doh! It is optical and I am used to EVF. On another point, the screen on the back of my GX8 is much better, as well.

Bottom line, I don't think I am likely to be seduced away from m43rds anytime soon. Why oh why N and C are not producing an enthusiast/pro mirrorless body is completely beyond me.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I went down to a local camera shop today to audition a Canon 7Dm2 and 400/5.6.

Actually, from a weight perspective not an unwielding combination and definitely handholdable. Gives an effective focal length of 640mm with the 1.6x crop factor of the 7Dm2.

My only issue with the combination was the viewfinder. I kept on wondering why (a) it appeared to me to be so small and dim, and (b) it was a bit unresponsive. Doh! It is optical and I am used to EVF. On another point, the screen on the back of my GX8 is much better, as well.

Bottom line, I don't think I am likely to be seduced away from m43rds anytime soon. Why oh why N and C are not producing an enthusiast/pro mirrorless body is completely beyond me.

LouisB
I do fully agree! I think once one embraces EVFs and their advantages it is hard to go back to OVFs. I even had issues to like the OVF of my Nikon D810 - well I finally sold it also because of that reason.

I am now fully in mirrorless with m43 and Fuji X-Trans and the only issue I still have is that I feel I finally want to reduce down to one system. m43 has high chances to become this one system - finally.

Need to try the 100-400 first I guess and when I am happy that might be the final trigger :cool:

Maggie O

My niece needed some portraits done, so I grabbed the Pen-F. Here's what I'll be sending her and she can choose which ones to print.

Mollie, March 19, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

(bonus Collie)

Jemma, March 19, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Mollie And Jemma, March 19, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

LouisB
Maybe the relationship between Sony and its sensor customers isn't as rosy red as we would have liked to believe. With the V3, Nikon made an enthusiast camera that, apart from the all important image and video quality, performed more or less like a miniature E-M1. They obviously have the knowledge to make larger sensor mirrorless with even better performance. The question is: do they have access to a DX or FX sized sensor with on-chip phase detect AF that would allow them to make that camera?

They used a Toshiba sensor on the D7100, a sensor that performed very well. Then Sony bought the sensor division of Toshiba and maintained their more or less monopoly. There was an interview published recently with one of the top brass of Sony's camera division where it was indicated that Sony in the future might reserve its most recent sensor technology for themselves. Maybe that is something that in reality has been going on for a while? Sony' investment in mirrorless technology must be enormous, but there is no doubt that many will go back to Nikon or Canon once they come up with viable competitors to the A7 and A6xxx cameras. With native converters working with a hundred million legacy lenses and a market position that Sony is miles away from achieving, the two grandfathers of Japanese cameras might be in a position to shovel Sony off the field in a relatively short time. Like they did when Sony attempted to enter the DSLR market, even if Sony had the advantage of the Zeiss brand and even if their marketing apparatus worked full steam ahead. Canikon are simply better at making the cameras that people want, and from what I hear, Canon's mirrorless cameras are actually selling quite well in Japan, even if the selection of bodies as well as lenses is mediocre to say the least.

Maybe I'm seeing ghosts here, but having tried many of the Nikon 1 Series cameras, it's very difficult to understand why they don't transfer that technology to bodies with larger sensors. When it comes to DSLR cameras, Nikon has been on top of the quality game for almost 10 years now. I can't see why they shouldn't be able churn out mirrorless bodies of similar quality. Unless they don't have access to the sensors they need.

Edit:
Coincidentally, jduncan posted a similar argument to mine here on a thread at the Nikon forum (React or go the Way of the DODO) only minutes before mine here. He also had the link to the Sony interview:

Sony to no longer sell certain sensors to other manufacturers? | Nikon Rumors

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I posted this to the Nikon thread as well:
The mentioned Sony interview is actually very interesting, and although it has apparently been removed from IR's website, it's still available on Google cache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...the-interchangeable+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

One thing they discuss which is of very high importance is a key difference between mirrorless and DSLR that I must admit that I haven't given much thought earlier:

Since mirrorless cameras, as opposed to most DSLR cameras, have AF and metering on the sensor, the camera can integrate those data into a computerised, "intelligent" process in a totally different way from what is possible with a DSLR with separate AF and metering sensors. This process will increasingly be a part of the sensor design, and if Sony really decides to keep the latest, most advanced sensors to themselves, we are not only talking about higher resolution, better DR or higher ISO, but better functionality for the camera as a whole. Canon, making their own sensor, is working on similar technology, but for Nikon, this can become a huge problem (and possibly already is) if they don't get access to he latest, most advanced sensors. This is actually quite worrying.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I were Sony I would act in a very similar way - balance what technology I give to my competitors and try to differentiate with the better technology I have in my own products. Actually every company would need to do this. That already became obvious 2 years ago when Sony launched their A7RII with the new 42MP BSI sensor and Nikon obviously did not get access to this technology so far.

On the other side there are obviously other sensor manufacturers - think for example the sensors that Leica is using in their latest FF cameras. So the future is not as dark as many think.

And finally - as long as Sony concentrates on FF and APSC there is no competition coming for them from m43 and hence they will continue to manufacture and sell m43 sensors even with their latest technology integrated.

For me the Olympus EM1.2 (and BTW also the Fuji XT2) show already impressively where the future camera is going and this is reassuring to be invested in the right system. Well, having said that I actually could not care less about the FF market, where Sony is going and how they are trying to dominate that market and finally if and how Canon and Nikon will and can survive.

IMHO the future FF is m43 and/or APSC :cool: