The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

scott kirkpatrick

Travel snaps from two visits to Scotland

The first, in 2004, E-1 with the 11-22@22mm

And last week we located the other two towns named Kirkpatrick. Here's one:

P6010375 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

This time I took the picture (M1 v ii),after my wife captured the scene for WhatsApp. The older kid is off doing Army service.

bensonga

Trying to see outside the box on a rainy day in Anchorage.

Gary

OMD E-M1, 75/1.8

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Castles in Scotland

Castles in Scotland look just as fierce as their intended purpose (resisting siege by large numbers of big men with nasty weapons) would require. This one (Threave Castle, at one time redoubt of Archibald the Grim, Lord of the Black Douglases) never got rebuilt after it fell to artillery bombardment the second time:

P6010383 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

But there was a fashion for restoring castles in Victorian times, so we see the complete facade of Hermitage Castle (scary in its own right, but it is obligatory to mention that Mary, Queen of Scots visited on an official mission for an hour or two):

P6020415 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

P6020419 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

And some castles were built late enough that they didn't attract serious opposition. Here's Closeburn Castle, built by Sir Thomas Kirkpatrick, Bart., of Closeburn:

P6010349 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Sir Thomas and his heirs met economic reverses and sold the castle about 150 years ago, moving to warmer climes. The place was eventually converted to modern accommodations, and rents out as a B&B. It recently came back into the hands of the original family, and my very distant relative, who lives in the more comfortable house immediately adjacent, tells me that most of the summer tenants are Kirkpatricks from the Scottish diaspora, such as the US.

all these with M1 mk II, 12-100.

scott kirkpatrick

Ruined Abbeys in Scotland

Abbeys full of monks in a complex hierarchy thrived from the 1300s to the 1500s in England and Scotland, where they were a critical part of feudal infrastructure. But to Henry VIII, they were a threat, so he had them all closed and partially dismantled by the simple device of conveying each to a sub-lord, along with a massive debt which he suggested could be repaid by removing the roofing, all metals, and interior floors and selling them for other uses. So although the "bare ruined choirs" have no roofs and are open to the weather, a considerable amount of their structure and architecture, from late Romanesque to early Gothic, can be seen. Here are --

Riveaulx Abbey, near York:

P5300292 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

P5300320 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

A lot of history can still be read from the placques and gravestones:

P5300277 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Here's Lanercost Priory, near Carlisle, still a pretty sizeable parish church with a much larger ruined priory behind it

P5310556 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

P5310550 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and Jedburgh Abbey, in a city, had to survive several attacks before Henry came along. It has been quite thoroughly excavated and analyzed:

P6020403 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

P6020406 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

There is an album of castles, abbeys and other things in the Border region from last week at https://www.flickr.com/gp/133969392@N05/7Z00s6

scott

Most pictures with M1.2 and 12-100, but my battery died one day so Lanercost was taken with M5.2 and Leica 25/1.4.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've borrowed a PL 12-60mm this weekend. Great lens. I can see this one become an important lens for me, like the PL 14-50mm in 4/3 mount used to be. More testing tomorrow.

GX8 with PL 12-60mm f/2.8-4 @ 60mm, f/4 and ISO 3200

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This was a very untypical old farm house for the region I live in .
It was protected as a historic monument . But now , they seem to demolish it .

PANASONIC GX7 , PZ 14-42 at 14mm

OBERWILZ.925.@@.jpg