The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Knorp

WOW Bart! Stunning image!
You are making expert use of your Olympus E-M1MarkII and Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Lens @ f/16. Many thanks. :thumbs:
Thank you, K-H. Let me add: Olympus ELECTRONIC FLASH FL-600R and improvised diffuser. All this hand-held at 1/250s ... :salute:

biglouis

"So? What's on the menu tonight!"

I finally made a decision to go with the GH5, this is one of the first photos out of it, with the 100-400.

iso3200, 400mm f6.3 1/50

biglouis

Excellent choice, Louis. I'm sure the GH5 is a fine tool.
But what about your PL100-400 ?
Thanks, Bart. After much thought (as you know!) I decided I had to try the GH5 with the 100-400 as a combination. It is highly recommended by Daniel Cox over at Natural Exposures and he certainly has some fine examples of birds with it.

It is too early to say and I need to play with both the camera and the lens to see if my doubts about the 100-400 stem from my GX8 rather than the lens itself.

This may sound rather greedy of me but I am also contemplating selling a load of camera kit to raise the cash to purchase the Oly 300/4... possibly. Still thinking about that.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks, Bart. After much thought (as you know!) I decided I had to try the GH5 with the 100-400 as a combination. It is highly recommended by Daniel Cox over at Natural Exposures and he certainly has some fine examples of birds with it.

It is too early to say and I need to play with both the camera and the lens to see if my doubts about the 100-400 stem from my GX8 rather than the lens itself.

This may sound rather greedy of me but I am also contemplating selling a load of camera kit to raise the cash to purchase the Oly 300/4... possibly. Still thinking about that.

LouisB
The Only 4/300 is definitely the best m43 lens available to day - this is what Olympus always states and this has been proven by so many reviews.

Having said that - it is a prime lens that finally allows only a 600mm fixed focal length view. For me this would be too limiting, especially in wildlife photography, and also birding.

Hard decision ....

Knorp

The Only 4/300 is definitely the best m43 lens available to day - this is what Olympus always states and this has been proven by so many reviews.

Having said that - it is a prime lens that finally allows only a 600mm fixed focal length view. For me this would be too limiting, especially in wildlife photography, and also birding.

Hard decision ....
The convenience of the zoom is exactly the reason why I choose the PL100-400 over the 300/4 back then. And the extra reach obviously.
In the end it was that extra reach or more precisely its weak performance at 300-400 that got me disappointed.
The Oly really is something special and with the MC-14 it even surpasses the PL.
But it's a tough call ... :facesmack:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The convenience of the zoom is exactly the reason why I choose the PL100-400 over the 300/4 back then. And the extra reach obviously.
In the end it was that extra reach or more precisely its weak performance at 300-400 that got me disappointed.
The Oly really is something special and with the MC-14 it even surpasses the PL.
But it's a tough call ... :facesmack:
I fully hear you!

But what uses the best lens with highest quality if you miss framing your subject optimally or at least in a somehow decent way.

I really wish that Olympus had chosen to bring a decent pro zoom - maybe 4/75-300 PRO, instead of the 4/300 PRO prime, even for double the cost and much more weight!

biglouis

I think it would not be an either/or decision in my case. I would use both.

I'd also add that I spend a lot of time shooting at either 300mm or 400mm with the PL100-400, so a fixed 300mm for me would not be a problem.

But in any case I'm ready to give the PL100-400 a bit more grace time now I'm using the GH5.

I pulled this out of the sky late this evening - at 300mm, f6.3, iso800 1/2000

Now, it is hardly a hero shot but given that Swifts by definition move very quickly I am impressed the GH5 locked on in a sequence of about 5 shots and gave me two which were in focus.

bensonga

I hesitate to share this since there are others here (Bart etc) who post such amazing and beautiful macro photos of insects, flowers, plants etc. I don't shoot macro very often anymore and I was never very good at it when I did.

I had to knock a small hornets nest down that was being constructed just above our front door. Since it was so small (~3 inches in diameter), I didn't think it was necessary to spray the nest with wasp/hornet insecticide first. After waiting a day for the remaining hornets to leave the nest that was on the ground, I was about to dispose of it when I noticed these larvae still alive and moving inside the nest. I took a few photos with my E-M1 Mark I and 60mm macro lens. I even shot a few seconds of video with the E-M1 to prove to my wife that they were still alive and moving (she didn't want to get near it).

Gary

E-M1 Mk1, 60/2.8 macro, ISO 100, 1/25th at f5.6, handheld

Last edited:

Knorp

I hesitate to share this since there are others here (Bart etc) who post such amazing and beautiful macro photos of insects, flowers, plants etc. I don't shoot macro very often anymore and I was never very good at it when I did.

I had to knock a small hornets nest down that was being constructed just above our front door. Since it was so small (~3 inches in diameter), I didn't think it was necessary to spray the nest with wasp/hornet insecticide first. After waiting a day for the remaining hornets to leave the nest that was on the ground, I was about to dispose of it when I noticed these larvae still alive and moving inside the nest. I took a few photos with my E-M1 Mark I and 60mm macro lens. I even shot a few seconds of video with the E-M1 to prove to my wife that they were still alive and moving (she didn't want to get near it).

Gary
Thank you, Gary.
As you've noticed the 60 macro is an amazing lens and you captured the larvae beautifully.
How did you dispose of the nest ?

bensonga

Thank you, Gary.
As you've noticed the 60 macro is an amazing lens and you captured the larvae beautifully.
How did you dispose of the nest ?
Thanks Bart. The remains of the nest, which broke apart when it hit the ground and was probably closer to 2 inches in diameter, are in a unused and covered flower pot at the moment. I suppose the larvae will be dead when I come home this evening. I was surprised they had survived for as long as they did.

I am truly amazed at the stunning images of insects and plants that you have captured and shared here.

Gary

bensonga

Rowing crew on an uncharacteristically beautiful summer evening. All the people in this boat (which includes my wife) are novices who just started rowing about 6 weeks ago.

Gary

Pana GX8 and 100-300mm lens...at 300mm.

neilvan

Got these today at a local bird sanctuary before I dropped my E-M1.2 and 90-250 SHG.

The MMF-3 adapter is very bent and needs to be replaced. The mount on the camera seems to be slightly bent and mounting a lens is quite tight now but it seems to work OK. The beast (90-250) itself seems to have come out of it unscathed as it landed on the camera...

C'est la vie!

Last edited:

Knorp

Got these today at a local bird sanctuary before I dropped my E-M1.2 and 90-250 SHG.

The MMF-3 adapter is very bent and needs to be replaced. The mount on the camera seems to be slightly bent and mounting a lens is quite tight now but it seems to work OK. The beast (90-250) itself seems to have come out of it unscathed as it landed on the camera...

C'est la vie!
Sorry about your mishap, Neil.
I'm sure replacing the adapter and repairing your camera is not going to be 'cheap', but replacing that zoom-tuna would have cost you a kidney ...

All the best.