The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Imagine that: a professional kite flyer !
Many of the kite flyers at the big festivals are semi-professionals who get their air tickets, hotel and food paid for by the organisers. Kite festivals are great attractions many places, and draw tourists and locals by the tens of thousands, people who spend money on food, drink.... and kites. The place I was in Malaysia, Johor Bahru, even has a kite museum next to the kite ground. The sultan of Johor performed the official opening.

biglouis

I got a new toy for my Lumix Leica 200/2.8 the other day, which is the 2x Teleconverter - bringing the effective focal length up to 400mm (or 800mm equivalent 35mm fl).

The weather in the UK has been appalling for about a week but I managed to get a couple of good shots of two different birds yesterday.

k-hawinkler

I got a new toy for my Lumix Leica 200/2.8 the other day, which is the 2x Teleconverter - bringing the effective focal length up to 400mm (or 800mm equivalent 35mm fl).

The weather in the UK has been appalling for about a week but I managed to get a couple of good shots of two different birds yesterday.

Mamy thanks Louis. Very nice!
For these kind of shots the 2x TC seems essential.

Knorp

Hi Louis,

interesting now that you have both tele converters.
Would you care to do a little test to see how IQ may be affected ?

TIA

biglouis

Mamy thanks Louis. Very nice!
For these kind of shots the 2x TC seems essential.
In a way you are right. For small birds it is a very useful extension. But for larger birds, the 800mm effective focal length is hard to handle - and BIF is not easy unless they are in the distance (like the helicopter). The 2.0x will be very handy for small birds but for BIF I think the 1.4x is a lot easier.

Hi Louis,

interesting now that you have both tele converters.
Would you care to do a little test to see how IQ may be affected ?

TIA
I plan to do a review of both TCs and post it at my web site. I'm not into side-by-side testing. The IQ of both TCs seems good. The 2.0x may be a little softer but at present that could also be me, poor light and slow shutter speeds. I need some damn sun (missing a lot here in the UK) and my Kites out in Buckinghamshire in order to do a proper test (hopefully on Thursday of this week).

One thing I am conflicted about is whether or not to keep my Lumix 100-400. I've never been 100% enamoured with the lens although I have got some great photos. I have not mounted it once since getting the 200/2.8 but that may be me playing with my new toy. I'm wondering whether it will get much more use and I hate having kit sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

Louis

Knorp

In a way you are right. For small birds it is a very useful extension. But for larger birds, the 800mm effective focal length is hard to handle - and BIF is not easy unless they are in the distance (like the helicopter). The 2.0x will be very handy for small birds but for BIF I think the 1.4x is a lot easier.

I plan to do a review of both TCs and post it at my web site. I'm not into side-by-side testing. The IQ of both TCs seems good. The 2.0x may be a little softer but at present that could also be me, poor light and slow shutter speeds. I need some damn sun (missing a lot here in the UK) and my Kites out in Buckinghamshire in order to do a proper test (hopefully on Thursday of this week).

One thing I am conflicted about is whether or not to keep my Lumix 100-400. I've never been 100% enamoured with the lens although I have got some great photos. I have not mounted it once since getting the 200/2.8 but that may be me playing with my new toy. I'm wondering whether it will get much more use and I hate having kit sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

Louis
Great, if you could do a compare too with the PL100-400 and PL200+2.0x, let's say both at f/8.0, that would be awesome !
Wishing you all the sun light you can handle ... :)

TIA

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Louis
It looks like you figured it out as well. :clap: