The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Waiting for the food, sipping wine, dried flowers on the table, 50mm f/1.2 on the camera... click.

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
He says: You spent two hours at the railway station. Did you get any good photos?
I say: Yes, but only one that I like.
And he says: But it's not sharp, and she has no shoes on!
And I say: Sharpness is a bourgeois concept, and so are shoes.

And we order another bottle of wine and some more Japanese food and... nice day.

GM5 with Pana 25mm f/1.7 @ f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm tending towards another GX8. Today, somewhere at the Irrawaddy Delta.

This kind of photo is why I gave up on the Zuiko 40-150mm. Although the Zuiko would have saved me from cropping, I never succeeded with this kind of separation between subject and background with that lens. I look forward to trying the PL 50-200mm :)

GX8 with Pana 35-100mm f/2.8 @ 100mm and f/4

rayyan

Hey Jorgen, if it does foliage well, I might seriously consider mft!!

35-100 is small you say? Let me check.

Best.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Best.
There's not much foliage in my photos (Louis must be more of an expert in that area, since his birds for some reason tend to spend much of their time in trees), but my guess would be that it's very well suited for foliage at f/4-5.6, probably also f8.

At 357g, 99.9mm length and a filter size of 58mm, it's really the tiniest high grade 70-200mm equivalent you can find.

Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

As for body, I would choose one from Panasonic to get dual IS. That's very useful for us old guys. You find the best viewfinders in the GX8, G9 and GH5. The GX8 offers the smallest size and weight of those three but should be used with electronic shutter most of the time to avoid "shutter shock". The G9 is the perfect machine, but bigger and the GH5 the video makers dream, although it does make nice photos too.

The outsiders are the GX9, with the extra grip if needed, with better image quality than the GX8, but not as good viewfinder, and the G85 with its excellent ergonomics. Similar viewfinder to the GX9. All have fully articulated LCD except the GX9 that only offers tilt.

Compact Camera Meter

Edit: Both the GX8 and the GX9 need the extended rubber eye cups for their viewfinders, but those are available from Panasonic or through eBay sellers.

Last edited:

archiM44

Best.
I recently switched to mft from Fuji after using multiple X-Trans cameras from XPRO 1 to XPRO 2.
I kept hoping they would go back to the Bayer sensor of the X100 which I really liked, but it didn't happen
Now using Olympus OMD E1MarkII and PEN F and very satisfied on all counts.
The Panasonic 35-100 is indeed a wonderful lens as are all the Olympus and Panasonic lenses I own.
I am critical after some 40 years of many Leica M film and digital cameras and lenses.