The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

barjohn

Here are some serious but fun to take photos and a couple of fun to take and not so serious photos. The cathedral shots are handheld at ISO 80 at 1/5th second using the kit lens. The others were also handheld but at more normal shutter speeds and lower ISO.

Last edited:
R

robertasumendi

First post... hi!

I just purchased my G1 and a small selection of lenses. This photo came from a 1933 Summar. It's such a fun lens.

Terry

Roberta? Welcome. What a beautiful first shot. I look forward to seeing what you've found in the way of lenses. I think it is amazing to take a lens from 1933 and throw it on one of the most high tech cameras! How cool is that.

monza

Great photograph. :)

Although watch for that smearing...oh, it's a Summar. Never mind. :)

Just goes to show that resolution has little to do with a good photograph.

R

robertasumendi

Thanks all for the welcome.

TEB: Robert actually :) Yeah, I've been waiting for this camera for a few years now... owned a Panasonic LC1 and loved the concept (and the lens!), never could really go for an RD1... this little wonder beats 'em both for a fraction of the price. Other lenses I've picked up: Canon FD 50/1.4 & 100/2, and a couple Industar-69's. I haven't adjusted the Industar for infinity focus yet but from what I can tell it'll be a great little bodycap for candids until the 20/1.7 arrives. Any IQ issues are definitely overshadowed by the fact that it's just sooooo cute.

Monza: Smearing, is that what they call it? I love it, it removes any pixel-level trace of digital capture... ISO 100 looks like ASA 1 :) Pretty sharp too, I can't believe this lens gets a bad rep....

Cindy: Thanks, the "new" Summar was scored on the 'Bay for $99, woohoo! Apparently no one wants an otherwise-perfect lens with a dented filter ring. Now I'm faced with the prospect of paying $40 for a front cap and $100+ for a hood....

R

Ranger 9

These are strictly for fun. Normally when I shoot stage shows, I go to the dress rehearsals and use big, "serious" equipment. But yesterday I dropped in to a weeknight Omaha Theater Ballet performance and tried some shots from the back of the house with the G1 and 100mm f/2 Canon rangefinder lens. I used ISO 1250 and f/2 for all; also auto white balance, which worked out better than I thought it would.

(Don't worry, I had permission -- in fact, I was sitting next to the artistic director -- and the music in this show is loud enough to obliterate the G1's shutter noise. Heck, I could have fired a pistol... or, louder yet, a Bronica S2A... and no one would have noticed!)

Harsh lighting, but I loved the movement of the skirt:

I don't have any trouble catching peak action with the G1 once I get my eye "dialed in":

This scene had moodier light and only allowed a shutter speed of 1/100, which wasn't quite enough for action-stopping... but I'm still keeping it:

The costumer always appreciates a few more-static shots that show off her handiwork: