The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

AlanS

Lumix GX80, G Vario 7-14mm f4
Taj Mahal, Agra, India
From across the Yumuna river.

12-60 SWD....

AlanS

The 7-14 f4 lumix is a lovely lens, compact and sharp with great colours. You just need to keep an eye on the flare when shooting into the light but not unexpected given the angle of view this thing has!

AlanS

Lumix GX80, Lumix 12-60mm f2.8-3.5 SWD
Foothills of the Himalaya on the way to Dharamsala, home of the Dalai Lama.

Dharamsala, home of the Dalai Lama.

Part of a memorial to the Tibetan Martyrs.

AlanS

GX80, Lumix 12-60mm f2.8-3.5 SWD
Kangra Fort, thought to be one of the oldest in India.

views from the top

AlanS

GX80, Lumix 20mm f1.7 II
Golden Temple, Amritsar
Palki ceremony....

Last edited:

biglouis

Alan, massively impressed with the photography and the processing.

Dare I say it? Many have the typical 'Leica' pop in the images. I've always claimed the 20/1.7 is a complete rip-off of a summicron design. The sensor of the G85 (I had the GX80 for a time) seems to give very Leica-like rendering. You've used the capabilitieis mastefully.

Well done!

LouisB

AlanS

Really appreciate your comments Louis, I am so pleased with this body of work. I had no real expectation from this trip other than to really enjoy the experience (which we did in bucketfuls) no plan, just see where the subject took me. As I processed the files I realised that there were some really satisfying pics.
The camera is secondary imo. I always seem to get a similar look no matter what I use :D Having said that the combo of GX80 and the lenses I used seem to gel somehow (perhaps the bright light helped). Only downside is the 12-60 SWD really needs pdaf to perform with any speed and the amount of "street" shots I missed is a little disheartening. I will get a more suitable lens for my next trip! (native micro 4/3rds).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Really appreciate your comments Louis, I am so pleased with this body of work. I had no real expectation from this trip other than to really enjoy the experience (which we did in bucketfuls) no plan, just see where the subject took me. As I processed the files I realised that there were some really satisfying pics.
The camera is secondary imo. I always seem to get a similar look no matter what I use :D Having said that the combo of GX80 and the lenses I used seem to gel somehow (perhaps the bright light helped). Only downside is the 12-60 SWD really needs pdaf to perform with any speed and the amount of "street" shots I missed is a little disheartening. I will get a more suitable lens for my next trip! (native micro 4/3rds).
What Louis said. :thumbup:

I can warmly recommend the PL 12-60mm as a 12-60 SWD replacement. It's an even better lens, smaller, lighter and focuses much faster on any body other than the E-M1/II. Two of my colleagues use it on their G85 bodies. One of them has a Zuiko 45mm f/1.2 in addition (and a beautiful girlfriend), the other one a Zuiko 9-18mm.

I keep coming back to how well m4/3 works for some of us. It's a system that doesn't get in the way of photography. It's transparent to a degree that I don't really think about the camera at all when I take photos, and I say that in spite of not really liking electronic viewfinders much. Size and ergonomics are apparently more important when it comes to removing the camera body as a barrier.

Since I'm talking gear anyway, I've found a camera bag that is as close to perfect for my travel needs with m4/3 gear as I can expect, the Lowepro Protactic BP 350 AW II. Its boxy shape is perfect for air travel and gives maximum protection for the gear. It has no less than three openings, one at the top and one on each side, that fit cameras with lenses (when I only travel with two bodies, I use the top pocket for my headphones). It has flipside main opening with space for a 13" computer and there are attachment points on the outside for a number of pouches etc. where I have water bottle, paper tissue and other things I may need in a hurry. I've had mine for two or three years now, and it has held up unusually well. I don't think I'll wear it out during my lifetime. I also have the BP 450 btw., which was bought for the DSLR kit that I used at the time, and that I now use when I need to take an extra T-shirt and other stuff for day trips.

https://www.lowepro.com/global/protactic-bp-350-aw-ii-black-lp37176-pww/

Leigh

I am so pleased with this body of work.
Hi Alan,

Excellent work, but a suggestion if I may.

I (and perhaps others unfamiliar with the area) would likely benefit greatly from brief expository captions for each photo. Those would give the work much more depth.

Thank you for posting. Hope to see more.

- Leigh

biglouis

What Louis said. :thumbup:
I keep coming back to how well m4/3 works for some of us. It's a system that doesn't get in the way of photography. It's transparent to a degree that I don't really think about the camera at all when I take photos, and I say that in spite of not really liking electronic viewfinders much. Size and ergonomics are apparently more important when it comes to removing the camera body as a barrier.
Completely agree. My other camera is the Fujifilm GFX50s which you might think would entirely make m43rds redundant but my G9 plus lenses are not. Yes, I mainly use it for wildlife but if I have the need of lightweight, high quality I do not hesitate to choose the G9 over the GFX50s. I just can't see transitioning to a FF system while I have the G9 and GFX. In fact, were I not to have the GFX, I still wouldn't choose FF as it has the worst of both worlds, weight and bulk without a vastly superior IQ (unlike the Fujifilm where the weight and bulk is rewarded with the most sublime results).

I wonder if it comes down to being comfortable with the tool you use as opposed to any inherent superiority of function and characteristics?

Jorgen - is that back pack accepted by airlines as cabin baggage?

LouisB

Elderly

I (and perhaps others unfamiliar with the area) would likely benefit greatly from brief expository captions for each photo. Those would give the work much more depth.

- Leigh
I'm not sure about this (and I'm not being specific about Alan's India photos).

I like this forum for many reasons; it's friendly and the standard of images is excellent,

I visit the site to see those images, and for me each image stands or falls as a photo on its own, it grabs me or not.

Being specific to Alan's India portfolio, he's informed us as to where each set of images were taken
and I don't think that I'd get any more out of them by knowing any more other than the location.

Alan's black and white image of the Taj Mahal is outstanding, and would it make it any better to know that he got up
at 04:30, stumbled across a tuk-tuk driver who got lost in the mist, took him north around the perimeter looking for
the entrance which was actually in the south, and the road took him further away than he wanted, found that the gate
in the fence shown in the photo was locked and one couldn't get any closer ………..? :D

For ME no - It's just a great image

AlanS

Once again, thanks Guys for the kind comments and suggestions.
I can talk the back legs off a donkey but find writing hard work but...
Yes the 12-60 pl is on my radar along with the 12-40 Zuiko (it's very cheap now) no rush at the moment.
I feel the notes for the pics are sufficient (for me). I do like to note equipment but the pics should stand on their own merits (mostly).
Your back story for the Taj pic is so romantic, the reality is much simpler and boring but it was a lovely start to the day which will always stay with me.
Oh and btw Louis i have a GFX50s and 32-64 lens arriving today! Just couldn't resist anymore (the m4/3 is not going anywhere, horses for courses as we all agree).
Just a few more pics left to post and a few random ones for the future.
All the best