The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

have you used this lens already on G1 or other 4/3 cameras ? Is it good ?
I used it very little on the G1, Rafael, was too busy chasing c-mount lenses...

View attachment 13380

Here an example, not very good, weather was rainy, it was dark, mixed light, taken with ISO=640 fully open. The lens is capable of better results, see for instance a few shots on the M8. I promise I shall post more.

Does it give fisheye effect on the G1 ?
The fish-eye effect is very small even on the M8 and practically invisible on the G1. Look for instance at the vertical supports of the market stand.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:

wjlapier

Yeah, it's not really a 10mm in the end if you have to crop away 1/3 of the picture... :(
I just did a quick test and it's a little wider than the kit lens, but not by much. 1-2mm effectively making it a 24-26/1.6 lens. The kit lens can focus very close too. There is a feature in the camera that allows you to crop an image which allows you to see it without the vignette.

W

wblynch

I just did a quick test and it's a little wider than the kit lens, but not by much. 1-2mm effectively making it a 24-26/1.6 lens. The kit lens can focus very close too. There is a feature in the camera that allows you to crop an image which allows you to see it without the vignette.
Though you can't argue with the F 1.6 part !!

monza

Still, a 24mm f/1.6 is wider, and much faster than the kit lens. :) At the right price these wide cine lenses can still be good options. The 7-14/4 zoom will of course be the standard as it will not have smearing and will certainly cover the sensor, although it may have software corrections (I don't have any issue with that.) The questions on that lens are -- when, and how much.

f6cvalkyrie

I used it very little on the G1, Rafael, was too busy chasing c-mount lenses...

The fish-eye effect is very small even on the M8 and practically invisible on the G1. Look for instance at the vertical supports of the market stand.

Cheers
Peter
Thank you, Peter, for your fast reply !
And I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of this combination !

C U
Rafael

Jonas

Re: An unknow pot flower, macro experiment

Beautiful, Jonas it is evidently an excellent lens and a nice bokeh. Forgive my ignorance, what is V2XMFTC?
Peter
Hi Peter,

Thank you.

No problem, it's a strange short for Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Tele Converter. I had the aperture ring set to f/2.8 so with the OM50/2 the image was effectively taken at 100mm f/5.6. As I was pretty close the net result is a magnification around 1.2:1 (somewhat larger than life size). The lens and the V2XMFTC worked pretty well together.

regards, /Jonas

f6cvalkyrie

Rafael, another fast one I took this morning in grey weather, just to show the picture quality. No fish-eye effect, see the edge on the building on the right and the lamppost on the left.
Thanks, Peter, it really looks like a nice lens !
However, the link I had found on ebay has disappeared. It was to a moscow based webshop, and the whole shop seems to have gone.

So, where shall I get this now :confused:

C U,
Rafael

Thanks, Peter, it really looks like a nice lens !
However, the link I had found on ebay has disappeared.So, where shall I get this now :confused:
Rafael,

Threre are usually quite a few vendors based in Ukraine or Russia offering this lens on ebay in different mounts: M42, Nikon, Leica R. I bought one in Leica R mount from an Ukraine based ebay vendor. It was slightly more expensive than the usual M42. I do not remember who I bought it from, and the firm might no longer exist, but it arrived in good condition, packed like for an expedition to the South Pole and relatively fast (10 days).

Yesterday I made several pictures with this lens on the G1; I shall publish some next week. BTW, under some circumstances I noticed a very slight barrel distortion (fish-eye effect). Usually it will not be disturbing but in some cases of architectural photos it might be important. I shall post an example, too.

Peter

wjlapier

My son's first track meet. He's not in these pics--I used the 80-200 AFS/D700 on him.

Nikkor S mount 13.5cm/3.5 at 3.5.

Gary P

Hi Terry,

Were these captured on the same beach with your model on the M String?

These are beautiful, and I loved the shots of the seal. Great stuff!

Is this in CA?

Gary P