The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M42 to M4/3 adapter with tripod socket?

I have just purchased a cheap M42 to M4/3 adapter with tripod socket from eBay. I was planning to use it with my 8mm Peleng fisheye lens. As the Peleng is quite a weighty lens, I didnt want to risk using it on a tripod with a regular adapter (Ive read that the M4/3 lens mount is susceptible to strain from heavy lenses.)

Thing is, I am not totally impressed with this adapter. When I mount it to the camera, it doesn't feel all that secure. Although it stays in place, it doesn't click into place like other lenses do. And after I turn my Panasonic G2 on, I get a message that says: "The lens is not attached properly. Do not push lens release button while lens is attached."

Ive put this adapter on the camera about 10 times and each time, I get this message. I have seen this message once before - when I mounted a Canon FD to M4/3 adapter to the G2. That was actually quite a good quality adapter and the vast majority of times, I didn't get this message with that particular adapter.

Unfortunately, I can't return the item to the seller. When I click on the seller's name, I'm lead to an eBay page that is full of Chinese characters...I can't understand a thing!

Can anyone suggest a good quality M42 to M4/3 adapter that has it's own tripod socket? Ive found a small number of eBay sellers who seem to be selling pretty much the same product / model that I bought.

Knorp

Well, I could be wrong, but the camera is not recognising the adapter as a lens.
Therefore you have to set config-item "shoot w/o lens" to ON.

Kind regards.

Tullio

I think the problem is that the adapter is not mounting on the camera properly. As you mentioned, it doesn't click, so the camera does not think that there is a lens mounted. I bet if you remove the adapter and mount the body cap (I don't think the body cap clicks like a lens does) and turn the camera ON, you'll get the same exact error. My guess is that the adapter is not precise and the pin that clicks onto the body is slightly off. Most likely the adapter is not turning far enough for the pin to click. Since you can't return it, one thing you can try is to file the right end of the three lips a millimeter each so it will turn further enough for the pin to click. If that doesn't work, then the only other option is to get a different adapter. Do not try to force it in place as you may not be able to remove from the camera.

Well, I could be wrong, but the camera is not recognising the adapter as a lens.
Therefore you have to set config-item "shoot w/o lens" to ON.

Kind regards.
The 'shoot w/o lens' setting has already been enabled on the camera long ago. In fact, many times, I have used Canon FD lenses on the G2 as well as the Peleng fisheye.

Since you can't return it, one thing you can try is to file the right end of the three lips a millimeter each so it will turn further enough for the pin to click.
I’m not exactly sure where these three lips are on the adapter. Is there a photo or diagram that features these lips prominently.

The other thing which is obvious when mounting this adapter is that it rotates way too easily. When mounting other lenses and adapters on the G2, there is a certain amount of resistance when they are rotated on the lens mount (in both directions.) When this cheap adapter is rotated on the lens mount, there is no resistance at all – it turns freely. It just doesn’t feel “right” or very secure. Though when it goes as far as it goes, the adapter does stay on. I was almost expecting it to fall off the camera body.

Tullio

I don't have any pictures to show you but they are the three small pieces that are supposed to secure the adapter onto the camera body. They are about an inch each. They are also on the other side of the adapter where the lens goes to. They are spaced evenly between each other.

I found an alternative way of contacting the seller via eBay. He responded, saying that there is a small screw on the adapter which needs to be removed. This screw is indeed tiny and after removing it, the adapter now mounts on to the camera properly with the audible click. I'm puzzled as to why there was a screw there in the first place!

Though now with the screw gone, there is a little hole in the adapter. I'll have to take some shots to see if any light leaks through.

Tullio

I very much doubt any light will leak through. Glad to hear that the problem has been solved.

I tried to remove the adapter from my G2 this morning and it was a nightmare. After pressing the lens release button and rotating the attached lens anti-clockwise, the adapter would not come off. The adapter then started turning more than it should and I could feel it bumping against the various lens contacts. I could almost hear a grinding noise too. I thought that I was inadvertently ruining my lens mount. I honestly thought that I may have to buy a new camera after this.

I didn't want to force the lens off...I was trying to be gentle. Pretty soon, the adapter started turning nearly 360 degrees on the lens mount. It would have turned a full 360 degrees if it weren't for the G2's fake pentaprism hump getting in the way. I decided to leave it like it was for the moment. I carefully put the camera down and let the adapter and lens rest against a support and as soon as I did that, the adapter fell off.

I think Ive learned my lesson. I am never attaching this adapter to my G2 again.

I mounted my 14-45mm to the G2 afterwards to test the various lens functions to see if the contacts on the camera's mount had been damaged. The autofocus worked and the aperture blades opened and closed. The lens' image stabilisation seemed to be okay. So I assume that I still have a fully functional M4/3 kit.

Besides, your most likely your 14-45 will outperform your MF lenses anyway.
Hmmm....I'm not quite sure about that. My Canon FD 24mm f2.8 appeared quite comparable to the 14-45mm when I used both lenses to shoot the same subject with a similar composition. And Ive seen very impresive results with my father's Canon FD 50mm macro lens mounted on the G2 also. I will continue to use the FD lenses for time lapse.

Though with regards to M42 lenses, it seems that a good quality adapter with a tripod socket is a very rare thing.