The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens distortion correction w/OM-D & Capture One

Peter Klein

Does anyone have, or know of a source for Capture One lens profiles for lens distortion when one uses Panasonic lenses on an Olympus OM-D EM-5? If profiles are not available, does anyone have numbers I can plug into the Lens/Distortion settings?

I have an OM-D, and my RAW converter is Capture One v. 6.4.3. I almost always shoot RAW, and I've noticed that the barrel distortion of my Pansonic 25/1.4 is not automatically corrected (it is if I shoot JPG).

I've "eyeballed" a distortion correction of about 35-36 for the 25/1.4.

My lenses are:
- Panasonic 20/1.7
- Panasonic 25/1.4
- Olympus 45/1.8
- Panasonic 14-45 f/3.5-5.6 (original version that came with the G1).

I've used Capture One for years and am comfortable with it, so I'm not interested in changing RAW converters unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks!
--Peter

scott kirkpatrick

I see the same problem, using a Pana/Leica 25/1.4 on my E-PL5, and Capture One 7.1 (the latest version). Support for the E-PL5 in 7.1 is marked as "preliminary," and I can't even bring up a generic lens profile to apply your barrel distortion correction. I reported this to Phase One; they are aware of it; no date for a fix yet, I'd like to see them do automatic lens profiles for M43 lenses, but that's a business decision for them to make. Do your Panasonic zooms require distortion corrections when used on an Olympus with raw file output?

scott

Peter Klein

Hi, Scott, thanks for commenting. My 35-36 correction figure for the 25/1.4 was arrived at by finding a photo with what should have been a straight line about halfway between the center and edge. I just messed with the distortion correction until it looked right. So it's close enough for ordinary work but probably not for architecture.

I don't know about the zoom yet. I have only the original 14-45, and I've pretty much switched to the primes for most stuff since I got the OM-D. I'll let you know if I use the zoom with any straight lines. I probably should just use the same approach with the zoom and the 20/1.7 as I did with the 25/1.4. Time to take some shots of door frames or my kitchen counter... :)

scott kirkpatrick

My 35-36 correction figure for the 25/1.4 was arrived at by finding a photo with what should have been a straight line about halfway between the center and edge. I just messed with the distortion correction until it looked right. So it's close enough for ordinary work but probably not for architecture.
:)
Grates of bars over a window, screen doors, various rectangles that exactly fill the frame would seem best, since the effect is bigger the further you go from the center. Incidentally, this isn't just a M43 problem. I've been told that Fuji does a lot of undercover magic on their X-Pro and X100s lenses as well. Sigma in its Foveon cameras, too. And of course no manufacturer will share much information with the software developers, even though the revenue lost on OlympusViewer is probably much less than the revenue gained from extra cameras sold if they make these problems go away. Sigh.

scott