The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Viability of a Leica M4/3rd camera

V

Vivek

Been talking to him, have you? ;) I just find it funny when people tear dead people out of their graves to prove their arguments. It is a very popular pastime in US politics -- "The founding fathers wouldn't have supported gun control, the founding fathers don't think gays should marry etc etc" Who knows what Oskar Barnack would have liked? He could have been an old curmudgeon who refused to use anything other than his Leica IIIf, or maybe he would be a wedding videographer! Who cares?
Well said, Stuart! :)

The funniest thing I found on the web that gives a glimpse as to what Oskar Barnack might say (you articulated it nicely in the quoted portion) is this: http://homepage2.nifty.com/omboy/maitani_fan/maitani_letter.html

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

monza

Oh! I quite agree with you all about the era of the coupled rangefinder being over, just not that the M8 is a disaster (these are not the same thing).
Agreed. The M8 is in no way a disaster. I really enjoyed mine.

I probably should add two words to my previous comment: 'the era of the coupled rangefinder is over' --- for me.

I could focus my first M3 no problem -- when I was 18. But that was 8 presidential elections ago. But I never could focus or frame very accurately with a 200mm lens for some reason. Or even a 135. ;)

cjlacz

I'm not quite sure how well the m4/3s lenses would work beyond the 4/3s sensor, but it would be interesting to put an APS-C sensor in one to use for the EVF so you could see the surrounding area (even if the lens doesn't render it perfectly) but only capture and store the same area a 4/3s sensor would when you take a photo. Of course since it's an EVF adding frame lines and supporting any level of zoom or wide angle would be easy. With the M8 out of my price range I could get my rangefinder fix without going to film. :D

Q

Quatro

Posting comments on a camera not used regularly for at least a couple of weeks does lengthen a thread unnecessarily, I guess. There are people trading in their M8 for a M8.2, instead of having the shutter exchanged etc. (or just carrying on with it like me). There will be (few) people parting with their M8, for various reasons. All this reverses the price trend the M8 had untill this autumn, since when it started getting more affordable.
Why not get a second-hand M8 plus a second-hand 24 or 28 or 35 (or a blue dot lens, or just a 4/25 I am serious, which unlike the 4/21 is good) and give it a try?
I said this in person to two guys since October and they have not regretted it. C&N (the major sellers) did, regarding these two! One sold two thirds of his DSLR gear and the other is at it right now, because he doesn't need long glass nor does he do macros.
The Epson cam can be mentioned, but please not to someone who used it. It made me go back to the M6 I still have somewhere & DSLR, which with a 1.4/28 on a new body I still use in very low light.

cjlacz

I have been watching the used M8s go down in the price with some interest. I wonder though if $3000 + cost of lenses wouldn't be better spent on other items since I just have a GRD2 and E-510 with the kit lenses right now. With the economy the way it is now I've been saving up some in case of layoffs so I don't have to move back to the US immediately. Come spring I'll be able to consider it more seriously.