The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Viability of a Leica M4/3rd camera

V

Vivek

Since there is a bit of discussion in another thread, I thought I will start one here.

I do not see anything viable from Leica to go against Panasonic, Olympus and others.

jonoslack

Since there is a bit of discussion in another thread, I thought I will start one here.

I do not see anything viable from Leica to go against Panasonic, Olympus and others.
Well, I think you're quite wrong!

At least - not as a competitor, but something the shape of a CL and the build quality of an M8, with a M4:3 sensor and mount, shipped with an m adaptor (probably one which recognises 6 bit coding).

Two holes:
1 is optical - with an overlay that shows dynamic framelines, and also focus confirmation using manual focus (and autofocus for those lenses).
the other is just like the G1 EVF
Live view like the G1

Metal, weathersealed, sexy.

I think it'd sell like hot cakes.

V

Vivek

I will be happy to be proven wrong about this. :D

Hotcakes- remains to be seen if one ever appears in a few months time and not 2 years from now.

Let us make this a petition to Leica!:)

Throw in all your fantasies and suggestions and let us..wait..and..wait..

Hacker

The time to market for Leica is way too long, and by the time such a camera launches, it will be MK.II for the other players.

kevinparis

I think leica should realize they make stunning if a little over priced optics and actually haven't been successful in developing good digital bodies either in terms of sensors or ergonomics or design...

I know the rangefinder paradigm has its fans... but in reality is leica still build cameras around a technology that is out dated.... My other half has a RF camera and much as i try ... and love the quality of the lenses.. i cannot get enthusiastic about working out which VF frame i should be looking at, working out how you should compensate for parallax, not being able to focus close, not being able to use lenses wider than 28mm or longer than 90mm without going through a whole set of hoops. I just want to take photos

I fully understand the heritage, and adore the photos taken in the past when they were the best tool for the job... but times change and while you can still take wonderful photos with a leica its no longer the only way.

I do love the lenses.. maybe cameras like the new Lumix G1 might offer the way to marry the best of Leica with the best of today

before i am shot down in flames.. I am 50 years old... shot on everything from box brownie though oly pen f to zenith to Nikon, Canon, and Olympus e510... oh and yes I have shot with a M8 and a RD-1

love and peace

Kevin

jonoslack

The time to market for Leica is way too long, and by the time such a camera launches, it will be MK.II for the other players.
Hi Hacker
Let's be dismal then: Leica have already said that they aren't doing m4:3

But if they had started with Panasonic, then they could be in the marketplace any time - for my camera there really isn't a great deal different from the G1 . . . just the optical hole with an overlay, everything else is cosmetic.

I would assume that Panasonic would make it for them (just like the digilux cameras).

But even if it came out when the others were at MkII - it would still be viable, as it would be providing an M 'experience' at a lower price of entry, and with the alternative convenience of auto focus zooms. It's something that Leica could easily provide in conjunction with Panasonic, but which nobody else could really do.

sinwen

I feel very sorry saying that I foresee no future for Leica at all. I cannot imagine the M8 sales being suffisant for them to live for another year time to launch the S système, which in turn won't heat their soupe. All this during a terrible world economic crisis.
I hope to be proved wrong but I really fear they disappear sooner than later.
We should have the R11 by now together with the DCL for a consistant future, instead we hope for the R10 in two years from now.
The page is turned.

jonoslack

I think leica should realize they make stunning if a little over priced optics and actually haven't been successful in developing good digital bodies either in terms of sensors or ergonomics or design...
M8 . . . S2?!:bugeyes:

before i am shot down in flames.. I am 50 years old... shot on everything from box brownie though oly pen f to zenith to Nikon, Canon, and Olympus e510... oh and yes I have shot with a M8 and a RD-1

love and peace

Kevin
I didn't discover rangefinders until 3 years ago, and, depressingly, I'm older than you. Leica is really trying for a renaissance - the M8 was a creditable first step (flawed, yes, but also like nothing else). The S2 looks like a home run (if anyone can afford it). I think there is real scope for a modern day CL using a M4:3 body.

Don't you?

V

Vivek

Leica is really trying for a renaissance - the M8 was a creditable first step
Jono, I have been using Leicas lot longer than you. I thought the Epson R-D1s filled that renaissance aspect and not the M8.

BTW, Kevin, I agree with you. Though I am not 50, I have experienced the whole bunch you mention (and a bit more, perhaps)

jonoslack

Jono, I have been using Leicas lot longer than you. I thought the Epson R-D1s filled that renaissance aspect and not the M8.

BTW, Kevin, I agree with you. Though I am not 50, I have experienced the whole bunch you mention (and a bit more, perhaps)
Well Vivek, you are disagreeing with me, and I'm devastated. The only thing I can think of doing is to go to bed, get up at 5, catch a plane to Aberdeen and spend two days doing computer demonstrations.

So - I'm off!

kevinparis

m8 is an ergonomic dog... I have handled one and hated it ...big bulky uncomfortable to hold... and s2 will kill leica... how many people ... especially in this climate are going to hand over what will probably be 25-30000 dollars for a body and lenses.

love and peace... just my opinion... your mileage may vary

K

V

Vivek

Well Vivek, you are disagreeing with me, and I'm devastated. The only thing I can think of doing is to go to bed, get up at 5, catch a plane to Aberdeen and spend two days doing computer demonstrations.

So - I'm off!
Oh, don't take that to your heart, Jono!:eek:

Have a good night and success with your demos!:)

kevinparis

vivek

my RD-1 owning other half raised a cheer when you combined Rd-1 and renaissance

to me in the hand the RD-1 feels better than the M8 - maybe its the shutter lever.. which does also annoy me when i forget my old instinct to wind on after shooting... that used o be second nature all those years ago.

personally i dream of a digital olympus pen F or even a Nikon EM sizewise... or a steampunk digital Zenith which you had to load with coal and wrote to punchtape :)

K

Stuart Richardson

I think they have enough on their plate with the S2, M9 and R10's...if they get those done, then maybe they can start thinking about CL's...I am pretty surprised they are not bringing out a Leica branded version of the G1 though...it must be a lens thing (they would not want to have to design dedicated lenses for it, taking away R&D money and staff from the M, R and S series), and I don't think they could have an interchangeable lens camera that they did not design at least some of the lenses for.

Seascape

m8 is an ergonomic dog... I have handled one and hated it ...big bulky uncomfortable to hold...

K
Well I shoot M6 as well as the M8 and yes the body is thicker and not as easy to hold, however the key to the correct balance is to ALWAYS have the optional handgrip attached.......it does make a difference.

monza

The M8 cool in that it gives the user either option; handgrip or no handgrip. Many cameras don't offer that.

As for me, I had an M8 and didn't care for the handgrip. :)

Instead, I pulled off the slick covering and put a Griptac cover on it. Much nicer.

With regards to a Leica µ4/3, I don't see anything viable, either. Anything with the build quality of the M8 is going to be pricey but won't really offer any better imaging, and the technology moves too fast to invest in such build quality.

The camera body is just a computer with a lens mount. The technology in the bodies moves at such a rapid pace. Leica is too small, too slow, too methodical to keep up.

Instead, they should expand their lens line...along the lines of the 25/1.4 they make in 4/3 mount. For comparison, the M Leica 24/1.4 is $6000, the 4/3 Leica 25/1.4 is $800 (B&H prices.)

kevinparis

cindy/terry

I will tell her when she is awake :) She is reahing for the 1st coffee of the day right now.

back on subject... the fact that people have to add bits to their M8 just goes to show it was a poorly thought out design

peace out

K