Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has time and technology caught up with m43rds?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has time and technology caught up with m43rds?

Peter, I am so please to hear that, and to Jorgen: don't think it did not occur to try to stop my Mother the moment I saw the infringements (in their infinite variety) being enacted!!! OTOH, she is a VERY stubborn woman!

Cheers, K
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    After a great deal of experimenting, quite a bit of money, and a great deal of time and comparing like many of us here I have settled on a pair of NEX 6 bodies.
    HI Kit
    I can quite see the point . . . although I wonder if you would have gone the same way if you had an OMD rather than the GH2.

I made a decision for 43 for three main reasons
    1. the Olympus works more like a camera
    2. The in camera image stabilisation is stunning
    3. the High Quality Panasonic f2.8 zooms (12-35 and 35-100)

But really it's down to the IS - using the lovely Leica R 80-200 f4 zoom on the OMD is just fabulous - on the NEX it was impossible. Simple as that!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jono,

I did have an OM-D; one of the first ones here, probably, and I did travel quite a bit with it, too. I agree re. the IS; it does work well—but the compensation on the NEX side is that higher ISOs are useable as an antidote to the necessary faster shutter speeds that the absence of IS requires. I would prefer that the NEX 6 had the same IS as the OM-D. The PZ zoom does have IS, but I never use it!

As for the OM-D working more like a camera—well, once the NEX 6 is set up the way you want, it works very effectively as an image-capturing tool, though differently to all the film cameras I have owned (and which the OM-D does resemble more than most digital cameras, I will agree). But if one sets the inherited parameters aside, and approaches the NEX 6 as an image-maker, it can be set up to do everything the OM-D can, except the in-camera IS.

For me, the zooms are just too large for the OM-D (or the NEX bodies) and while I am sure they are excellent (and can do things that a pair of primes on two bodies cannot) I prefer to carry two bodies and two primes, the way I did in film days. I do like the form factor of the OM-D, except the buttons are a bit small for my hands, and the accessory grip is just an inert add-on (I had one of these, too). The aesthetics of the OM-D walk all over the NEX 6, but the more I use these bodies, the more I realise that they are simply function made into form (apart from the menus!), so have their own aesthetic in that respect. Best wishes, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First things first: I haven't read all of the posts on this thread.

That said...many of my friends have abandoned m4/3rds for Sony NEX and then Fuji (mostly X-E1).

With my Pana G1, GH2, Oly OMD and a bag full of good lenses, I'm starting to feel like a dinosaur.

Gotta keep looking at my m4/3rds photos....and ask myself...am I really unhappy with the quality of these images? No? Then why do I have this urge to follow the crowd and jump on the latest and greatest digital bandwagon? For now my answer is: I am not going to blow a lot of money on a new system when I'm quite happy with the m4/3rds system I have now.

Gary
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary, It just goes to show just how personal the choice of system camera is! I have gone completely the opposite way as I sold all of my Sony cameras and lenses together with FujiX1Pro with three lenses and Fuji X100, all in favour of two OMD bodies and a stack of mFT lenses!

This was after considerable use of all three systems side by side. Portability, weight and weather sealing considerations were high on the plus side for the OMD but overwhelming weight was given to IQ for my type of photography and image end use.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Then why do I have this urge to follow the crowd and jump on the latest and greatest digital bandwagon?

Gary
    Gary, I thought the EM-5 with its 5 axis gyro is the latest and the greatest, no?

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread this.
    My issue with 4/3ds is just that, the ratio. I shot a lot of pro stuff on E1's, back in the day, and the ratio suited my studio work but not my press stuff. It is purely a personal thing and I've dipped in and out of m4/3ds, currently have an E-PL3 kit I bought cheap. It's good to have in the car for photo opportunities that may crop up when I'm out and about. I'm looking at acceptable compact type cameras to replace it though, acceptable to Alamy that is.
    Now I'm more or less retired, the Nikons have gone and I have a Pentax and 3 ltd lenses which currently supply Alamy. I had thought of ditching the Pentax for either an Olympus OMD or Panasonic G3 but just can't convince myself it's the way to go.
    So where to go is still my dilemma, but it's one that is of lesser importance these days.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First things first: I haven't read all of the posts on this thread.

That said...many of my friends have abandoned m4/3rds for Sony NEX and then Fuji (mostly X-E1).
    HI Gary
    Well, I made a conscious decision after running NEX and 43 alongside each other, and one of the guys in the office is on the brink of changing from Fuji to 43.

My only problem is David's - I prefer 3x2 to 4x3 - in landscape at any rate (in portrait I feel the other way around).

Before the OMD I really didn't feel there was a good enough sensor in 43, but that's all changed now and I think we can expect more excellent Sony sensors in Olympus cameras in the future.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not going to blow a lot of money on a new system when I'm quite happy with the m4/3rds system I have now.

Gary
    Gary, I thought you were saving up for a Pentax 645D? (The Macro 4/3rds)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Gary, I thought you were saving up for a Pentax 645D? (The Macro 4/3rds)
    LOL...yes, I did say that, didn't I? A Pentax 645D purchase is on the back burner for now.

But that is another reason to stick with my m4/3rds setup. I haven't bought any new lenses for it since last summer. I haven't used it much in the past six months, since I didn't travel this winter and motorcycle season is just now getting underway.

Guess I was just feeling a bit out there in left field, as so many of my friends have been jumping over to Fuji.

I did see and hold a GH-3 for the first time yesterday. I like the size and controls of the GH-3 better than my GH-2, so maybe I'll just sell the G1, GH-2 and/or OMD and settle on the GH-3. For whatever reason, I've never really warmed up to the OMD...probably because I haven't taken the time to really learn the different controls, menus, interface etc.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very long thread and I would be surprised if this has not already been mentioned...I think one of the truly great things about mirrorless M4/3 is the compatibility you have with a huge range of lenses from all manner of formats. That is something that the DSLRs can never compete with.

Post Thanks / Like

I have slowly switched over from Nikon to m43. I finally this past february sold my Nikon bodies as they were getting no love.

The camera that finally convinced me was the OM-D. As was said earlier, its image quality has been one deciding point. I've been using m43 since the G1 (G2, GH2, OM-D).

Another deciding point has been the ability to get the lenses that match my shooting style.

And chalk me up as another in favor of being able to use other lenses via an adapter. My favorite Nikkors have made the transition quite nicely . I am definitely looking forward to the Speed Booster for m43 as well.

The only cameras that have caught my eye have been the Nikon D600 (decided not) and the Fuji's. I rented the X-Pro1, but couldn't get a good feel for it.

My main problem is I now have no backup camera, so I will probably pick up another m43 body along the way.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody says the camera doesn't matter, but cameras change the way we work, how the subject reacts, how you view what you can do.

I have RED's, Canon 1dx's, Nikon Full Frame, Phase/Contax(2 and a Leica M8) and this week just bought my first real 4/3's system the gh3, the two 2.8 zooms, the 25mm Summilux and the 100 to 300.

With all the equipment I own, I've said I won't buy anything unless it let's me do something I couldn't do before.

I bought the gh3 mostly for video, not really as a B camera, but as a faster more fluid camera. The stills are just a bonus.

In a brief two days, what I've learned is the GH3 size is perfect because it's not too tiny, not too big, one shoulder bag will hold everything and honestly the video tracking focusing is bloody amazing, almost in any light, the still focusing very, very good.

Size matters, because we travel the world working and anything to lower weight, saves us thousands. Our recent European shoot, with (for us) limited equipment, saw us move 2,900 lbs of equipment.

The baggage overage charges would have bought 2 4/3's systems.

Last night at 3am I went outside in almost darkness and did some tests where I shot at 2.8 at 1/8th of a second. I thought they'd be blurred and awful and their tack sharp. That's amazing.

You know it wasn't many years ago the I used the Canon 1ds that was 11 megapixels, a top iso of 600 and I still have 4'x6' prints hanging on the walls of our studios from those cameras and nobody looks at them and goes ugh.

This was shot with a 1ds, 11 megapixels, available light and I can promise you I could easily have shot it with the Panasonic, actually a lot easier.

Personally I've never been as excited by a camera system as I have with the 4/3 in years.

The creative possibilities of this camera are beyond what I expected. Focus is very good, options are huge, the lens line of 4/3's is off the scale and the ability to add my Leica lens's is a huge bonus.

I bought the gh3 to do this style of video and stills, but I think It will go a lot further.

The Interactive Imagery Of James Russell + Ann Rutherford New York Los Angeles Dallas Paris The World

I also love the 4:3 format for stills, especially vertical and for multi media projects we shoot, where stills are inserted to video, the ability to change format to 16x9 for both.

Wi-fi to an I pad is a bonus, the ability to carry small car mounts, work remotely, opens up a do almost anything thought process.

I tested the gh3 vs. the Olympus omd three times, because I just love the look of the OMD and the OMD stills are better, all around, but the focus on the OMD is more challenged and the video is well . . . 1/4 the quality of the gh3.

The thing is the OMD is beautiful, just fractionally too small. I might buy an OMD for stills since it takes up no space, but am very interested in seeing what the next OMD will be like. I'm hoping for a slightly larger form factor and the rumored L1 is pretty cool.

I really hope Olympus' next model has sound in and out, and a higher bit rate video as 17 mps is way too small and artifacts.

Though the Olympus has amazing image stabilization. I mean really amazing, and close to that floating steadicam look.

I am stoked about this format and I see more possibilities for it, not less. In fact I know the Canon Nikon world isn't going to adopt it which i think is even better, not worse.

I've done very little with 4/3's this with the Pana GF1 which is 1/2 the camera of the gh3. I just can't wait.

IMO

BC
    I just wanna bang on da drum all day.

http://www.russellrutherford.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You all need to start printing, and I mean that in the nicest way. Too much time spent staring at screens. I know websites are important, but am I the only one that still thinks the ultimate product is the printed image?
    Last edited by fmueller; 30th May 2013 at 08:47.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fmueller View Post
    You all need to start printing, and I mean that in the nicest way. Too much time spent staring at screens. I know websites are important, but am I the only one that still thinks the ultimate product is the printed image?
    No. I love prints and photo books, and my entire image processing workflow is oriented around producing prints and photo books.

That said, I'm getting more enthused about doing video presentation of stills and motion with voice over and music.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been planning to buy a NEX 6 for some time as adjunct to my Ricoh GXR-M and Leica M9, using the same lenses with an adapter. But I have to say the new Pen E-P5 is tempting me. The more I look at it, the more I think Olympus has hit my button right on the head with it.

Before I do that, I must sell some of the wretched excess that the Magpie has brought me. I have just way too much camera stuff now, it's getting too confusing to use it sensibly.

Ebay here I come ... !

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fmueller View Post
    Ultimate? No. My preferred delivery mechanism? Yeah .

I look at it this way... Electronic presentation (in its myriad forms) is just an additional option to what we had before, not a replacement.

Doug