The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has time and technology caught up with m43rds?

This is a very long thread and I would be surprised if this has not already been mentioned...I think one of the truly great things about mirrorless M4/3 is the compatibility you have with a huge range of lenses from all manner of formats. That is something that the DSLRs can never compete with.

greypilgrim

I have slowly switched over from Nikon to m43. I finally this past february sold my Nikon bodies as they were getting no love.

The camera that finally convinced me was the OM-D. As was said earlier, its image quality has been one deciding point. I've been using m43 since the G1 (G2, GH2, OM-D).

Another deciding point has been the ability to get the lenses that match my shooting style.

And chalk me up as another in favor of being able to use other lenses via an adapter. My favorite Nikkors have made the transition quite nicely :D. I am definitely looking forward to the Speed Booster for m43 as well.

The only cameras that have caught my eye have been the Nikon D600 (decided not) and the Fuji's. I rented the X-Pro1, but couldn't get a good feel for it.

My main problem is I now have no backup camera, so I will probably pick up another m43 body along the way.

Doug

bcooter

Everybody says the camera doesn't matter, but cameras change the way we work, how the subject reacts, how you view what you can do.

I have RED's, Canon 1dx's, Nikon Full Frame, Phase/Contax(2 and a Leica M8) and this week just bought my first real 4/3's system the gh3, the two 2.8 zooms, the 25mm Summilux and the 100 to 300.

With all the equipment I own, I've said I won't buy anything unless it let's me do something I couldn't do before.

I bought the gh3 mostly for video, not really as a B camera, but as a faster more fluid camera. The stills are just a bonus.

In a brief two days, what I've learned is the GH3 size is perfect because it's not too tiny, not too big, one shoulder bag will hold everything and honestly the video tracking focusing is bloody amazing, almost in any light, the still focusing very, very good.

Size matters, because we travel the world working and anything to lower weight, saves us thousands. Our recent European shoot, with (for us) limited equipment, saw us move 2,900 lbs of equipment.

The baggage overage charges would have bought 2 4/3's systems.

Last night at 3am I went outside in almost darkness and did some tests where I shot at 2.8 at 1/8th of a second. I thought they'd be blurred and awful and their tack sharp. That's amazing.

You know it wasn't many years ago the I used the Canon 1ds that was 11 megapixels, a top iso of 600 and I still have 4'x6' prints hanging on the walls of our studios from those cameras and nobody looks at them and goes ugh.

This was shot with a 1ds, 11 megapixels, available light and I can promise you I could easily have shot it with the Panasonic, actually a lot easier.

Personally I've never been as excited by a camera system as I have with the 4/3 in years.

The creative possibilities of this camera are beyond what I expected. Focus is very good, options are huge, the lens line of 4/3's is off the scale and the ability to add my Leica lens's is a huge bonus.

I bought the gh3 to do this style of video and stills, but I think It will go a lot further.

The Interactive Imagery Of James Russell + Ann Rutherford New York Los Angeles Dallas Paris The World

I also love the 4:3 format for stills, especially vertical and for multi media projects we shoot, where stills are inserted to video, the ability to change format to 16x9 for both.

Wi-fi to an I pad is a bonus, the ability to carry small car mounts, work remotely, opens up a do almost anything thought process.

I tested the gh3 vs. the Olympus omd three times, because I just love the look of the OMD and the OMD stills are better, all around, but the focus on the OMD is more challenged and the video is well . . . 1/4 the quality of the gh3.

The thing is the OMD is beautiful, just fractionally too small. I might buy an OMD for stills since it takes up no space, but am very interested in seeing what the next OMD will be like. I'm hoping for a slightly larger form factor and the rumored L1 is pretty cool.

I really hope Olympus' next model has sound in and out, and a higher bit rate video as 17 mps is way too small and artifacts.

Though the Olympus has amazing image stabilization. I mean really amazing, and close to that floating steadicam look.

I am stoked about this format and I see more possibilities for it, not less. In fact I know the Canon Nikon world isn't going to adopt it which i think is even better, not worse.

I've done very little with 4/3's this with the Pana GF1 which is 1/2 the camera of the gh3. I just can't wait.

IMO

BC

fmueller

You all need to start printing, and I mean that in the nicest way. Too much time spent staring at screens. I know websites are important, but am I the only one that still thinks the ultimate product is the printed image?

Last edited:

Godfrey

You all need to start printing, and I mean that in the nicest way. Too much time spent staring at screens. I know websites are important, but am I the only one that still thinks the ultimate product is the printed image?
No. I love prints and photo books, and my entire image processing workflow is oriented around producing prints and photo books.

That said, I'm getting more enthused about doing video presentation of stills and motion with voice over and music.

G

Godfrey

I've been planning to buy a NEX 6 for some time as adjunct to my Ricoh GXR-M and Leica M9, using the same lenses with an adapter. But I have to say the new Pen E-P5 is tempting me. The more I look at it, the more I think Olympus has hit my button right on the head with it.

Before I do that, I must sell some of the wretched excess that the Magpie has brought me. I have just way too much camera stuff now, it's getting too confusing to use it sensibly.

Ebay here I come ... !

G

greypilgrim

Ultimate? No. My preferred delivery mechanism? Yeah ;).

I look at it this way... Electronic presentation (in its myriad forms) is just an additional option to what we had before, not a replacement.

Doug